Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #321
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
So you loped of a segment of the back roof and you're going to put mini-split compressor units up there. I got to see that in detail. On a RE that last window space is kinda wasted space in the cabin anyway.
Hopefully you will be seeing the mini-splits on by the end of Summer.

On my first one I used that "wasted space" for storage cabinets. Made for a good bit of storage space but was not very convenient having to sit or stand on the bed to access them.

On this bus I am putting my batteries and electrical in there and the mini-split condensers on top.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #322
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It is going to be all white to begin with. I have not gotten to the bottom yet. I wanted the top painted before I install windows. It is going well enough that , weather permitting, I may continue with the bottom.

When we get on the road we are going to head down to Phoenix to have murals painted on the bus. Take a look at his work: https://www.arizonamurals.net/commercial
Hey Steve, what do you know about the cost of these murals?
Thx
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #323
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Hey Steve, what do you know about the cost of these murals?
Thx
We have budgeted $3500
Old 08-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #324
Bus Geek

Windows!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bus windows 003sm.jpg  
Old 08-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #325
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Wow Steve, that is looking really good! I sure wish I had been able to continue helping out on your build. I will eventually get further on mine, just not sure when. Going to take some vacation soon but it's probably all going to be spent hunting.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #326
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
Wow Steve, that is looking really good! I sure wish I had been able to continue helping out on your build. I will eventually get further on mine, just not sure when. Going to take some vacation soon but it's probably all going to be spent hunting.
Hey Kent,

Thanks,. I am feeling pretty good about progress today. I wish you had been able to stick around as well. I enjoyed working with you and really appreciated the help.

When I get to the point that mine is usable I will head over to MT and give a hand with yours.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:35 PM   #327
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Nice work! just found your thread. I have a similar bus and I am considering doing a "mild" roof raise to make up for floor and ceiling insulation. Wife wants RV windows anyway so why not raise? I like your idea on using the rear upper deck for mini-splits.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #328
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Nice work! just found your thread. I have a similar bus and I am considering doing a "mild" roof raise to make up for floor and ceiling insulation. Wife wants RV windows anyway so why not raise? I like your idea on using the rear upper deck for mini-splits.
Thank you.

If I were building a "weekender" I would consider going without a roof raise. For full time living it is required. It makes the interior feel so much bigger.

Good luck with your build. Show us some pictures
Old 09-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #329
Bus Geek

Solar panels are all mounted. They are SOLID.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus solar 009sm.jpg   Bus solar 008sm.jpg   Bus solar 006sm.jpg  
Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #330
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Thank you.

If I were building a "weekender" I would consider going without a roof raise. For full time living it is required. It makes the interior feel so much bigger.

Good luck with your build. Show us some pictures
My husband wants to do only a 10-inch roof raise because he wants to use the interior wall skins to fill in the raised portion, and 10 inches is the max our existing material will allow. I was really wanting the raise to be 16 inches to 20 inches, but he wants to conserve money on the raise. Was a 10 inch raise enough to make it more spacious and less claustrophobic AFTER insulation in the floor and ceiling, subfloor, subceiling, and finished c4iling and floors? I want to do hardwood floors and ceiling and have some cabinets abovethe windows...oh, and hydronic radiant heating in the floor.
Tfanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #331
Mini-Skoolie

Our roof without sub floors and unfinished ceiling is over 6 foot right now.
Tfanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #332
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfanous View Post
My husband wants to do only a 10-inch roof raise because he wants to use the interior wall skins to fill in the raised portion, and 10 inches is the max our existing material will allow. I was really wanting the raise to be 16 inches to 20 inches, but he wants to conserve money on the raise. Was a 10 inch raise enough to make it more spacious and less claustrophobic AFTER insulation in the floor and ceiling, subfloor, subceiling, and finished c4iling and floors? I want to do hardwood floors and ceiling and have some cabinets abovethe windows...oh, and hydronic radiant heating in the floor.

If you look back through my build thread you can get a good idea of what a 10" raise looks like. If you are not raising the floor level much then I think 10" is definitely worth the trouble. I raised the floor (insulated) 2" and the roof 10".

I did have a change in design when my tank order fell apart. I took the tanks that I could get and wound up having to raise the bedroom floor 11" to accommodate the tank. With that, I wouldn't mind if we had gone up 14".