Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Pop's bus

Thanks for the information. A bit disappointing, but better to be now than after I spend a few month working on it. So the search will continue.
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We bought our bus thru the Asheville IWANNA. Prior to our purchase, it was used to transport white water rafters to/from the local rivers (it was from an outfit in Long Creek, SC and painted white). Most all the rafting outfits in the Western NC area use former schoolbuses for transport. In TN, the buses are often privately owned and still contracting to the school district during the winter and durning the summer, out hauling rafters. Sometimes you will see them with "For Sale" signs on them around Ocoee (TN). Our bus does not have a raised roof (David is about 5'8" or less and I am around 5'5"). We did not insulate ABOVE the floor. Never planned to either. There is more than one way to insulate a floor.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Docsgsxr. Two million miles! Thats is a few trips around the world and back The one I was looking at had 220k, unless they put a used engine in a new bus. I am still looking and exploring the possibilities. My wife feels Florida calling, I hear the Aliens of Roswell, NM and meteor crater calling to me. In ~ 15 months or so I toss out my watch, calendar, and perhaps the email
Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Asheville, and the Nantahala wonderful place to play. Lornaschinske, I may have ridden your bus when it was hauling rafters Years past we did that quite a bit of the time, that river is freezing cold even in the middle of the summer.
I agree with you about the floor insulation, around here and where we are heading its just something nice to have. I don't think my wife would ever hit the ceiling, I might. I was standing upright at the E-door when I was looking at the Thomas.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Site Team

next time we are wine tasting, I'll holler at you, we like Yadkin Valley
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thats just across the river, We will help with the tasting
Old 09-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Pop, welcome to the madness!

Consider a Bluebird. They have vertical walls/windows, not tapered like a Thomas, which will make it much easier to do a roof raise should you decide to go that route. Quality is second only to Crown.

I have a Crown, which is about the best quality school bus you can get (and beautiful as well). But it also has tapered sides so a roof raise is out for me.

If you have a choice between a Cat 3126 and 3208, go with the 3208. I've also heard rave reviews for the DT466. I'll second the motion on the Allison 6xx and 7xx series transmissions vs. the 5xx. Look also for highway gearing in the differential. Many school buses are geared for in-town so would struggle to get up to freeway speed and would likely rev too high at 60mph. "Activity" buses are generally geared higher for highway travel. (Activity buses are the ones with the undercarriage pass-through storage compartments.)

Rear engine flat nose buses give you the most interior room and are the quietest design, but beware of overheating issues. Dognosed are the easiest to work on but the long drive train limits storage. Front engine flat nosed are the hardest to work on and the noisiest.

Good luck in your search and subsequent conversion!

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus

Consider a Bluebird. They have vertical walls/windows, not tapered like a Thomas, which will make it much easier to do a roof raise should you decide to go that route. Quality is second only to Crown.

I have a Crown, which is about the best quality school bus you can get (and beautiful as well). But it also has tapered sides so a roof raise is out for me.
Aaaahhh why is that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.31 MB, 190 views)
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus

Aaaahhh why is that?
While I don't deny it's possible to raise a roof with tapered sides, my point was that it's more difficult, because the posts will have to be realigned.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I agree, the straight sides would make it much easier. My brother and I used to build street rods, did a chop and channel on a '36 Dodge truck. So a school bus would be a piece of cake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg convert.jpg (52.0 KB, 181 views)