Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Pop's bus

I do like the idea of a Blue Bird. My grandsons are into "Angry Birds, so they would get a kick out of that. Now, were to locate a "Southern Bird"?

Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408

We got ours from TX through this link: http://www.publicsurplus.com/. They have several coming through all the time from all over.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
Skoolie

Craigslist.org is a good way to find a bus from a private non gov seller. If you want to search multiple craigslist city's at once searchtemptist.com is a great too. Govdeals.com and publicsurplus.com are good for finding used buses right from the government. Ebay has some buses to, but they tend to be more expensive.
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Sojourner and Jmar896 thanks for the lead ideas. Texas would work for me. Thats where the grandsons are. Could have free labor
Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Here's how I found mine:

Called around to the school districts in the area. One told me they were retiring two of their Crowns and would be auctioning them off, one at a time. (One in one month's auction, the other the next month.) I went for the second one because it had fewer miles on it. Showed up at the auction and had to wait for hours because it was one of the last things to bid on. Only had one competing bidder and got the bus for $1700.00 plus auction fee, tax and license (about $2100.00 total). Suspension needed work so when that was done I was in it for about $3300.00 total.

One advantage of buying directly from the school district (albeit once removed through the auction process), is that I also received all the service records (which were up to date through the month just prior to my purchase) as well as many extra parts and the service manual.

Bonus: Discovered later while going over the service records that the 3208 engine is a remanufactured unit with only 10,000 miles on it. The remans are actually better than original because they are modified to eliminate the infamous smoking issue.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Locutus, thanks for the information. I have checked the North Carolina school system http://ncschoolbussales.dpi.state.nc.us . Now looking on govdeals.com and publicsurplus.com. So now its just more looking and looking until I find the "perfect" bus