Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Potential Conversion Candidate... Thoughts?

So... Much has happened since I was last active. Respiratory issues caused me to take an extended hiatus from OTR trucking. Still have my CDL, saw no reason to let it go.

In the interim of trying to get these respiratory issues under control, I was driving Uber (not the draw everyone thinks it is, but that's another story). About 6 weeks ago, I was broadsided when someone ran a stop sign. WITH A PASSENGER - WHO REFUSED TREATMENT AND LEFT THE SCENE *facepalm*

Totaled my car and been in limbo arguing with low-ball offers from the other driver's insurance carrier, also due to injuries from the accident, as well as no vehicle that suits Uber. I've been out of work for six weeks and have $1.99 in my bank account.

But there seems to be a silver lining. Once an issue of, shall we say, jurisdictional nature was cleared up, Uber has insurance to back up the driver while on-trip, and things are going more smoothly with them so far. I should have a check for my car soon, though I should probably ration it for groceries and gas back and forth to doctors. The injuries sustained look to be a long road to recovery.

Anyway, I happened across an old Ford yesterday that caught my eye. Very similar to the old Cheese Wagon. Didn't look at it too closely because I wasn't sure what the deal was with it, but a quick glance revealed it is a diesel and appears to have the dreaded L-G brake system, with that dreaded familiar toggle-switch parking brake.

The fellow in possession of it said he bought it for storage and it runs and drives good. He also said it has an 8.2, which floored me. I know the old Louisville road tractors occasionally got the old 2-strokes, but I had never heard of the 8.2 in a Ford bus, pretty much figured them for 6.9s, 7.3s, T444s, etc. Auto trans, not sure which one.

On the surface, the bus looks decent, it was an old church bus. I said I was in no hurry and wanted to research its feasibility, but asked if he might sell it, and he threw out a ballpark figure of around $1200.

Doesn't sound like a bad price if there are no mechanical issues. Bought my last one for $900. I do not know much more about it, other than it has the alligator-style hood instead of the tilt-forward nose. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a 58-64 passenger.

However, from my previous learnings here, the 8.2 is an odd beast that is tricky to work on and the autos in these are 50-50 as to whether they will last. Personally, I'd rather have a manual, from my trucking experience, but a true Allison auto probably wouldn't be so bad, as opposed to this automated manual BS they put in road tractors today. But, the L-G brake system is something I also understand to be an albatross. Does anyone here think this bus is worth digging into?

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote