Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #101
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I think I used 120 on the paint.

Wiped once.

I only want to do it once.

I'm looking to keep it from rusting. When it's time for real paint, I'll find someone that knows what the hell they are doing.
120 is a bit too coarse.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:18 PM   #102
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Alkyd dries quicker and is usually a bit cheaper. Can also be tougher than most oil based paints so all in all it can be a good choice.
What kind of primer do you recommend for alkyd direct to metal paint?
Sshiluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:16 AM   #103
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
...That's why you would get Direct-to-Metal paint... So you don't have to use primer.

And if you wanted to use some primer, you should follow the instructions on the paint that you're wanting to use. Like, yeah, they're going to sell you on their own ****... But it does the company no good whatsoever if you wind up with a less attractive finish because you followed their directions.

It is literally in a company's BEST-interests to give you the instructions to make sure your stuff turns out as good as possible. I've even seen tables in instruction sets describing exactly what ratio of thinner to use with paint based on ambient atmospheric temperature and humidity.

Things might be different if you've got a shop where you can largely control that stuff, so you might get the best looking stuff if you paint at 60° and then dry at 70°-80°, but that's a different story.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:04 AM   #104
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Tango passed away a few years ago unfortunately, so don't expect him to respond to you.

As far as what you should do, I will echo albatross and suggest you contact the manufacturer. I don't think direct to metal paint gives the best or most durable finish compared to multi-stage paints, but different brands might fair better.