Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: IH DT466e
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Project Atlas - my first skoolie renovation

Took a day off from work and was able to get the other half of the inner skin and insulation removed. I was able to remove the entire lower half of the right side of the bus by myself in about 3 hours - i am a rivet destroying machine! It felt pretty good once that last rivet was removed - a victory beer was thoroughly enjoyed. Should have some more time this weekend to install the 16 ft of LED (color changing!!) lighting and get the foam insulation installed throughout. More pics to come! (contrary to the pic, my bus doesnt have an indentation - it's just the way the panorama mode put it all together on my phone.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both sides complete.JPG (67.7 KB, 1345 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Nope! You now have the banana bus
Just kidding....3 more beers and the other side would of been done....damn..man...chop...chop...
Oh yup....I have had glass of wine (or2)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I swear, I only had 1 glass of wine!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri

I swear, I only had 1 glass of wine!

I have never understood the 5 oz glass thing
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

With a LOT of elbow grease and some dedication, i was able to get the inner metal skin removed from below the windows. I removed the batting insulation and replaced with with 1.5" foam insulation. After re-insulating the lower panels i covered them with .5" plywood so i can anchor into the plywood anywhere when building the interior components.

I also replaced the stock driver's instrument panel lights with some green LED's, which are bright enough (more than!) to illuminate the switches and labels so i can actually tell what they do. http://i.imgur.com/fLOFdyv.jpg

Best of all, i had enough time to build my first piece of the interior: a set of bunks concealing the passenger side wheel well. It's nice to see the project start to come together. More news and pics to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0858.JPG (1.97 MB, 1174 views)
File Type: jpg bunks rough_matt.jpg (62.0 KB, 1174 views)
File Type: jpg bunks rough.jpg (54.2 KB, 1173 views)
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional

i like what you have done so far, great bunk beds too
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I love the bunks, that's what I'm going to do with mine one day..

However, and I maybe wrong but is your top bunk to high?? I mean if you add a mattress figure that's going to add about 6 inches of height. I think it's going to eat up most of your room, and make it unusable??
Gsragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry it's been a while since i've posted anything. I can usually only scrape together enough time to work on my conversion every 2 or 3 weeks. Aside from that, I've been having a wonderful little battle with my neighborhood HOA about being able to work on the bus in front of my home which has been making things more difficult.

BUT, all pestilence aside, i have been able to make some progress (and take a few pics). What you cant see in the pictures is the hours worth of running new speaker wire through the ceiling to the existing speaker ports. Bluebird only ran a common ground for the four interior speakers when it was built (1999), which is no longer up to snuff for modern car audio practices. Hence, the need to remove the top sheeting across the windows and run all new sets of speaker wire for each of the four speakers. I purchased 2 sets of Alpine 5.25" speakers and replaced the janky, blown out stock speakers.

Good news though - NOW WE HAVE PRISTINE, GLORIOUS SOUND!!! And a new head unit (with built in Bluetooth to sync to my phone!!!) to match.

I've also made some progress on framing out the kitchen counter:

I've also lowered the top bunk about 6 inches (Thanks Gsragtop!!) to accommodate for bedding and add a little more space overall. Hopefully more pics to come this weekend - I've enlisted a few friends to help me finish framing the bathroom and hopefully start building the interior back wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HeadUnit.JPG (292.3 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1017.JPG (222.1 KB, 657 views)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #19
Site Team

Cool, thanks for update

I just installed new speakers and a Bluetooth head unit in wife's truck....she loves it when she gets in and radio automatically connects to her phone and Pandora....happy wife
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

This weekend i was able to get about 1.5 days of work done on the bus. I feel realy good about the progess i've made - it's really nice to see it actually start to come together.

I was able to get the back wall of the bathroom that separates the bedroom and bathroom built, which added some extra definition to the bus, which is nice to see. I was also able to get the majority of the bathroom framed and adjoining "water closet", as i call it. The water closet will house the 20 gallon freshwater tank and water pump, as well as hiding some plumbing that will run between the kitchen sink and the entrance to the combo black/grey tank in the bathroom.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.JPG (1.78 MB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1041.JPG (192.9 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1043.JPG (196.5 KB, 604 views)