Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #521
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Re: Project "Brutus"

Glad you made it there without anyone getting hurt. I know everyone has an opinion and most are not welcome but to me it looks like the trailer was probably oscillating more than you could feel from the front. This oscillation is probably what caused your break in the ball mount (The break looks like it endured a lot of vibration, think hammer beating on it up and down constantly). Could have been from tires going bad on the trailer to load and distribution issues making the tongue bounce excessively. Is that a bus fuel tank mounted on the tongue? Hopefully it wasn't full of fuel. I've made several moves back and forth from the MW to the PNW and those roads can put a workin' on the hardware for sure. I'll bet your drivers seat has a permanent pinch in the upholstery .

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #522
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the break was 100% from the trailer tongue getting slammed up and down from the bus overhang. Every bridge, every dip, every rise... With the slop in the ball mount, it was actually deforming the bottom of the ball mount. I shimmed it, to remove the slop, but I think that made it worse, as the damage was already done. The tank on the trailer tongue was empty (future extra tank for the bus), but I was likely pushing the 800# rating of the ball mount already. The new one is rated at 1500# with no slop. I used it for about 300 miles, and there isn't even a hint of wear from movement. Problem solved

Pucker factor: I saw the shower of sparks, started applying brakes, felt the trailer slam into the bus and saw it fall back, pulled over... Pretty robotic actually. I kick into survival mode when something traumatic happens, lol... Adrenalin kicked in after.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #523

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Sorry about your misfortune. Is this ball mount solid or hollow?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #524
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: DT466

Sorry for the disappearance, lol... Cal, the ball mount was solid.

I'm posting to remind people to pay attention to what they have for insurance. I forgot I had comprehensive. Which covers the trailer, coincidentally. Just filed a claim and am getting 3750 for the trailer and damage to the bus. Win!!

Also, progressive now has a category for bus conversions, in case you guys didn't know.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #525
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Glad to see you back! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #526
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

I have had that insur co for 5 yrs on my bus.....
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #527
Bus Nut

Awesome build Jake. Just spent the evening reading through your posts. Several questions:
- What was the reason for running the exhaust stack up the front side of the bus?
- Did the muffler quiet it down much?
- How much $$$ do you estimate you spent on the build to date?
- What the he#* made you want to move to the kommunist state of Cali? (I just had to throw that in)
Nice work. I hope my build goes as smooth as yours when the time comes. Keep up the great work!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #528
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 3126b CAT
Jake,

I'm about to start installing subflooring in my bus and will be following a method very similar to yours. I like the idea of not drilling anymore new holes into my steel floor.

My question is, have you had any issues with the rigid foam sagging, if not what is yours rated to and what thickness did you go with? I'm thinking of doing 3/4" R4 rated at 15psi. I would like to put a number of supports in between the rigid insulation, but am concerned with thermal bridging.

That led me to your post and your method. Just curious if it has held up for you over time?

Thanks man!

Follow along at: www.naturalstatenomads.com
NaturalStateNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #529
Skoolie

I followed the link in another build thread giving you credit for the method on flooring (not putting more holes than needed in the metal floor..).

1 question:

If the plywood is held in place by the screws in the small 2x2" spreaded around, how di you fastened the furniture in the bus? Just screwed it in the plywood? Is that sturdy enough in case of hard braking / crash?

thanks!
mrblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #530
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I'm flattered that you read my update . I am not Jake, but the chair rails are going to be my primary mounting surface for all furniture. I intend to bolt down to the floor as well but I want to mount the crap out of the chair rails, they seems very sturdy.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #531
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
I did get pulled over in South Dakota for still having it yellow,
Whoa what the hell??? Since when are used buses not allowed? I think I'll want to keep mine yellow with lights and all.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #532
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Whoa what the hell??? Since when are used buses not allowed? I think I'll want to keep mine yellow with lights and all.
some states you cant do it... many states require a bus no longer used for active school transport to be painted other than National school bus yellow... other states require the lights painted over or completely removed...

I think when it looks like a school bus virgin you have less likilyhood of getting stopped.. but having chimneys out the roof, or curtains on windows, windows covered etc.. tips off police that its no longer an active school bus.. and they stop you..

many of us drove busses across the country when they were bought because they totally blended in.. with no conversion being done other than the school name is usually sprayed over by most school systems before selling a bus.. thats a tip-off but only noticeable from the side...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #533

I'm looking at doing a floating floor as well. Could I just lay down that insulation with the foil stuff on it facing up and install the vinyl ank right on top of that? What kind of gap did you leave on the perimeter?
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
The floor is floating.
I'm looking at doing a floating floor as well. Could I just lay down that insulation with the foil stuff on it facing up and install the vinyl ank right on top of that? What kind of gap did you leave on the perimeter?
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #535

Are the pine squares in the insulation seams held down by anything?
adamhh is offline   Reply With Quote