Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: S1853
Engine: IH DT466 + MT643
Re: Project "Freedom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
love the "expo subi"

thanks

As you can see from my subaru, I like to modify and build weird custom things where function that becomes the fashion... (the subaru was also painted via rattle can)

I am planning to install a roofrack-platform similar to the one on my wagon, keeping it low profile to the bus's roof- for storage while parked, and to have an "upper deck" where I will install a removable railing, and maybe even have room for a rooftop tent type structure, maybe as a guest bedroom/alternate bedroom for when the weather is really nice oh, and a place to mount the solar panels I plan to get as well!
ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Nice project!
It sure looks like things are coming along!

I'm interested to see how the stove works out - it seems like an ideal solution. You can also get webasto diesel heaters, a number of conversions here have those.

Be careful about 'toad'-ing the Subaru. The AWD system on those is finnicky about the tires being turned without power. Towing with two wheels down is a definite no-no according to my owner's manual, you might want to check out what others are doing for that. I've been thinking about doing similar modifications to mine, already did heavier springs for more carrying capacity.

I think a westie-type addition on top would be a really neat way to get extra height / space. There was a thread recently with an entire pop-up camper on top for bunk-rooms.
jqmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
r_w
Skoolie

I like those 2x4 window mullions. I am going to steal that.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78

Did you remove the windows to install the blanks? also did you use foam rollers for the paint?.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
very cool stove!

and Welcome

X2 on both!!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 PM   #16

Year: 1986
Chassis: S1853
Engine: IH DT466 + MT643

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmello

Be careful about 'toad'-ing the Subaru. The AWD system on those is finnicky about the tires being turned without power. Towing with two wheels down is a definite no-no according to my owner's manual, you might want to check out what others are doing for that. I've been thinking about doing similar modifications to mine, already did heavier springs for more carrying capacity.

Yeah, it can be bad if not done properly- but, it is a manual transmission, and it will be flat towed (all 4 wheels on the ground- which will hurt it none! I worked at a Subaru dealer for almost 8 years, and an independant shop for a much shorter time too, and have done all of the work on my own car, repaired the AWD systems on a few subaru transmissions (both manual and auto), so at least I am very familiar with how they work and what is good or bad for them.. the automatic subarus are the ones you don't want to flat tow for any length of time- but the manuals are fine since just rolling them will keep the gear lube flowing as it would if you were driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol
Did you remove the windows to install the blanks? also did you use foam rollers for the paint?.
Yes, I took the windows out, and I also did use a cheap... ummm.. not sure if it was foam, but it had the little lint fuzzys come off when I painted and kinda looked like a cheap sheepskin cover roller... it was the cheap one from home depot that comes in the $10 painter kit with tray and brush, ect... Paint used= Rustoleum gallon gloss white. worked out pretty well for how "quick and dirty" I did it.
ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote