Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
Project Moby Bus

Hello We are Gwen and Bill

We purchased a 1990 International Navistar School 22 seat bus with the DT466E engine, and automatic trans- unsure of model. The Bus came from Peoria Ohio where it was used as by the county for what ever. Moby came to us in great working order, already painted white and with stop sign removed. We bought him for 3000 cash from a private buyer.

Our plan like everyone else to convert this guy into a fully contained home on 6 wheels. Our goal is to up-cycle and salvage as much material as we can to furnish and design the interior. We wont be using old wood to build out framing or anything like that. We will be running propane heat, water heater, and stove. Fridge will be a RV salvage - hoping it will draw less power then stock home unit. Not sure what we are doing for Solar - But we are doing it.

The Floor plan will start just behind the Drivers seat and extend the full length of the Bus 26 feet total. and A whooping 7.5 feet wide. We are hoping to get a set of custom cupboards from IKEA for the the 6 Ft of Kitchen counter and build a custom butcher bloc counter top - I was able to salvage aton of hard wood from an abandon building they happen to be cleaning out in our neighborhood Maple, Oak, Black Walnut, some rough cut pine Most harvested form Ohio as well.- then we plan to us a concrete counter top we got from a friend - its semi hallowed out to save weight; about 100 lbs. Its 30 in wide and will go the other side of the kitchen to allow for work space and eating area.

Not sure no what the storage and Pantry will be made from. Most likely it will be 1x1 framed in and covered with store bought hardware installed to fit our storage needs. the Bath room with utilize a homemade composting toilet. And a up-cycled 40 gallon stock tank. Measuring 2wx4lx1h.

Closest will most likely be famed in units with custom hardware to fit our needs. And the Bed will sit on a floating platform to provide access to storage space under neath via fitted totes.

Storage via rear exit door will be about 3 feet deep. And possible house a set of shelves on one side maybe a built in genny box? - Or beneath? remote start - use the wall to house the power system? - Or should this be something inside for easy access? - and of course other item storage.

Looking into Salvaging a water tank from RV or using 55 gallon drums hung under the bus in a cradle. As we do not plan to really plan to spend any extended time in a areas that reach Freezing for more then a night or two I not worried about freezing solid - I could plumb in a stock tank heater plug it right in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180428_194630.jpg   IMG_20180428_191706.jpg   IMG_20180428_191649.jpg   IMG_20180428_195811.jpg   IMG_20180428_195822.jpg  

IMG_20180428_130616.jpg  

Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Welcome to the forum.

A quick word about fridges.

Your RV fridge will use more electricity than the equivalent modern domestic fridge.

The advantage is that it can run from propane when boon-docking although it will still need a 12V supply for its controls.

The area of refrigeration is one of the things that has moved a long way in the last few years. A modern apartment size fridge is very economical, and a healthy battery bank supported by either solar or generator makes it an attractive proposition, even to the point that high-end RV manufacturers are fitting domestic fridges.

Run the numbers before you commit to either because they might surprise you and I'd hate to think you were making a decision based upon an incomplete picture.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Seems as though you were not the first semi-permanent residents of your bus!! Keep us posted as to your project, particularly the recycle and upcycle portions. Tons of research available here, and never be afraid to ask a question. Best wishes!!
Old 05-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Drive Home / Seat Removel

Drive Home

We started with the bus ride from Pomeroy Ohio to Mechanicsburg Ohio. A short 2 hour and 8 minute drive no problem. We filled up Moby with 40 or so gallons of fuel. The Trip cost us just over a quarter tank of fuel. Which means we got between 8 and 9 mpg. which i think is respectable for the condition the engine is in. I say that meaning it needs just a good ol'tune up and and hell be running better then ever. The Drive up was a cake walk, Moby drove like a dream not a single issue.

We stopped in Columbus to fill Moby up with as much free salvaged lumber as we could take with us. Sadly I was not able to take it all. But I sure go my 20 bucks with on 2x4s alone.

Seat Removel

For the first step of this journey we started with removing the seats. So after countless hours pouring over YouTube videos and Forum searches we started. We figured we would go the route of holding the nut from the under side of the floor and just zip the bolt out. WRONG! WRONG WRONG! OMG did this not work one bit. Not due to tools available - purchased the Makita 12V Max drill/impact set - and plenty of hand tools. We started at the back and worked our way to the front. the first 10 bolts of so we tired doing the drill method maybe 3 came out, that's after fiddling around with a box wrench or vise-crisp while under the bus. This sucked.

So after a short - its never a short trip - to the local Walmart for a better tool we settled on a Black and Decker 6amp angle grinder. coast us like 25 dollars or less. And gabbed a few extra metal cutting disk. We also stopped at a Tractor Supply to check what they had - pretty much the same stuff, did purchase a lenox metal disk, it was like 10 dollars or so. It claimed to last a long time - the cheap 1.97 Black and Decker ones work the best.

Once back to the bus we set to work grinding the bolt heads off all the seats. This process was a breeze! The grinder worked like a charm and the disk lasted as long as I figured they would cutting through those bolts. While I ground away on the seats Gwen went and removed the bolts that held the seat to the rail - our bus as a metal lip that one side of the bus seats attached to, running the whole length of the bus, about shin high 1 inch wide. With in 4 hours of solid work we removed all but 4 seats, due to running out of cutting disks.

All in all we went through 4 disks. And 2 beers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180428_191910.jpg   IMG_20180428_170626.jpg   IMG_20180428_192134.jpg   IMG_20180428_192451.jpg   IMG_20180428_192417.jpg  

IMG_20180428_170634.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Welcome to the forum.

A quick word about fridges.

Your RV fridge will use more electricity than the equivalent modern domestic fridge.

The advantage is that it can run from propane when boon-docking although it will still need a 12V supply for its controls.

The area of refrigeration is one of the things that has moved a long way in the last few years. A modern apartment size fridge is very economical, and a healthy battery bank supported by either solar or generator makes it an attractive proposition, even to the point that high-end RV manufacturers are fitting domestic fridges.

Run the numbers before you commit to either because they might surprise you and I'd hate to think you were making a decision based upon an incomplete picture.
Thank you for the heads up the fridge size to general use. Its just my wife and I so I'm hoping we can work with using a fridge only unit on the smaller end of the scale - for power use wise along with just not needing the space
Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Seems as though you were not the first semi-permanent residents of your bus!! Keep us posted as to your project, particularly the recycle and upcycle portions. Tons of research available here, and never be afraid to ask a question. Best wishes!!
Ya we left a window open to keep some airflow and this happen inside a week. gotta start charging for rent now
Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Flooring / Wall / insulation Removel

Flooring

We started the removel process the day after the seat removel - Protip: if you make a Facebook event and invite all your friends to come help you do hard labor. Call it a party and offer drinks to people who show up.

After cutting all the bolts out that held down the metal strip in the center we where able to get all the flooring removed - we had rubber mat paid over plywood screwed to the floor. We used a huge pry bar - about 4 ft and 50 lbs - to pry up and with helping hands tear out the floor in chucks as much as we could. We removed all the flooring to bear metal up to 4 in behind the drivers seat. I cut through the flooring and rubber mat with you guessed it my angle grinder. running my like to connect with the front stair well leading edge. This gives us 26 ft to the very back of the bus.

We have yet to completely removed the heater system yet. I plan to make a brazed copper tube elbow - cut and install, secure with worm clamps for leaks, remove wiring. Save 12v fans for possible later use.

Walls

We worked on the bus over the past weekend 5/4-5/5. set a goal of getting all the walls removed, insulation out and cleaned and ready ceiling removal. We started off by using the impact driver and #2 bit to remove as many screws as possible along the walls. While Gwen used the smaller 12V Makita impact gun I borrowed my grandpa Joe big 20V Rigid impact. And most the bolts that Gwen wasn't able to get I was able to pull out with that bad boy. But yet again we used that angle grinder MORE then we thought we ever would - number one tool for bus demo ANGLE GRINDER. When we went to remove the panels we found that they have a metal lip that is slid in under the window frame that is part of the hard metal of bus. So we bused out the trusty grinder and cut the panels free then went back and ground down the lip flush - Will fill with caulking when sealing up the walls. In messing with panels we also found the windows are bolted in using 2 screws on either side 1 in the to and then bolts coming into the frame from the out side of the bus. I ripped it our from the inside not knowing the later part - got to thinking about window replacement. Custom insulated laminated safety glass windows would be nice. Also do you all just board over the inside and keep the outside windows for looks if don't need them in say the pantry or bathroom area?

Insulation

The insulation Moby was the good ol'fashioned fiberglasss kind, that was of course super old and dried out and powdery and full of rust and dirt and grim. We used small 2 ft crowbars to dig the insulation out of the gap. About 3 in. But it had screws sticking in at random points which made it super fun to dig out. So after it was all said and done, we busted out the air-compressor and spray tip and gave that bus the best blow job of its life
I worked the sprayer into each panel opening aiming to spray out any last bit of bust and fiber before the spray foam goes in.

So far we have used 9 grinder disk, and drank 20 beers , friends help drink a dew
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180505_144205.jpg   IMG_20180505_103347.jpg   IMG_20180505_111129.jpg   IMG_20180428_191743.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 466
Wow you found that bus close to me, being already painted, sure puts you ahead of the power curve.... I got my bus in Athens. Looks great so far
jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb8 View Post
Wow you found that bus close to me, being already painted, sure puts you ahead of the power curve.... I got my bus in Athens. Looks great so far
Right on another OHIO busser! Thanks for checking out the build

The fact that it was painted by a shop, the price point and the mileage made it to good. Only thing is the bus is almost 30 years old. But they we are the same age and Im running just fine still.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
welcome from the C-bus here too!! if you ever hang out on the SW side of columbus you very well have seen me or one of my busses.. im all over the place in them..

looks like your project is in High gear!! thats the way to go at it esp since our weather finally got good!!

I have 2 busses.. one of them also came from ohio..(its a 1990 chassis international). and last night talking to some fellow bus friends i learned the full story about it.. (Tipp city bus it was).

elkhart indiana is your friend if you are looking to salvage some RV parts.. lots of RV salvage yards up there... Mike N B's seems to always have some old busses if you need some Bus parts for your thomas Body.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #11
Bus Geek

of course i have to ask (being a Techno / Trance DJ / fan) if you listened to Moby while drivng your bus home?
-Christopher
Old 05-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
of course i have to ask (being a Techno / Trance DJ / fan) if you listened to Moby while drivng your bus home?
-Christopher
It would make for some great traveling!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
welcome from the C-bus here too!! if you ever hang out on the SW side of columbus you very well have seen me or one of my busses.. im all over the place in them..

looks like your project is in High gear!! thats the way to go at it esp since our weather finally got good!!

I have 2 busses.. one of them also came from ohio..(its a 1990 chassis international). and last night talking to some fellow bus friends i learned the full story about it.. (Tipp city bus it was).

elkhart indiana is your friend if you are looking to salvage some RV parts.. lots of RV salvage yards up there... Mike N B's seems to always have some old busses if you need some Bus parts for your thomas Body.
-Christopher
We are over by Children's Hospital off Whittier. Ya this nice weather does make for easy work. though I'm hoping we get a lot done before high summer and it gets to hot to and stuff to work inside. switch to nights maybe.

I had heard there was a place in IN from my grandpa but he couldn't recall. Id bet this is the pace he was thinking of.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
-Christopher
Actually I'm not sure if I am a fan of Moby the music artist. I have never really listened to him.

Moby came from Moby Dick. Being a big white bus. I was think mobliebus and ended with Mobybus. But maybe i should plumb in the outdoor speaks and set up a lazer light show when ever we stop.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
We are over by Children's Hospital off Whittier. Ya this nice weather does make for easy work. though I'm hoping we get a lot done before high summer and it gets to hot to and stuff to work inside. switch to nights maybe.

I had heard there was a place in IN from my grandpa but he couldn't recall. Id bet this is the pace he was thinking of.
I walk down by whittier / thurman and such all the time.. not as far east as parsons.. but always hanging at the coffee shops downtown and GV.. (bake-me-happy, fox in the snow, staufs..). i have an office downtown in Serendipity Labs. i dont run the busses into center city much.. though sometimes i do drive them in, park at the old giant eagle in the short north and walk.. if you've ever been around there and seen a bright red shortie.. thats one of mine..

cool stuff!!

EC - ive driven many a mile in the bus with Moby rockin!!

-Christopher
Old 05-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
Actually I'm not sure if I am a fan of Moby the music artist. I have never really listened to him.

Moby came from Moby Dick. Being a big white bus. I was think mobliebus and ended with Mobybus. But maybe i should plumb in the outdoor speaks and set up a lazer light show when ever we stop.
I have flexible LED mats and MADRIX software if you ever want a light show lolol
-Christopher
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 466
I'm from WV but just across the river from Pomeroy OH.... I worked in Columbus for years and just came home on the weekends...
jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

BMV / Ohio Title Agency

My first issue with this process is WHY does Ohio have two different departments for just one thing? Alaska and Washington just have the DMV. Get with the times Ohio

Secondly I'd like to thank the gal that helped me today at the Title Agency on Morse Rd. She was super helpful and informative. printed me doubles of all the forums I needed. along with the contact and info for the Highway patrol inspection - will cover this later.

For transfer from BU - Bus - to RV in Ohio you MUST fill out

-Applicants Odometer statement

-Self assembled affidavit

-Supporting evidence

- Ohio Highway patrol Inspection - after further talking to the Gentle man i in charge of the branch I was at said - don't quote me on this - that a person from the Title Agency would be able to preform the inspection - but had to have things like sleeping quarters, draining kitchen sink, Bathroom. fridge, stove, and power supply.

I was also advised to wait until I have Moby pretty much done, and then title as a RV. This was I don't have to get the title changed twice. They are able to go right from previews owner as bus to New owner as RV is one go to save on cost. They also said to get temp plates before you register it in your name for transport.

So now i have to decide if we want to wait and build out Moby till hes pretty much done. Or set it up good enough to pass inspection? thoughts. A

Anyone from Ohio have some input on what you did. Might just go to a small town BMV and see what i can get there.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Bus Geek

interesting because on mine.. you fillled out the affadavit paper but the only thing they checked at the title agency was the VIN matched the title.. I go to the combined one on south high right near the Lowes..

as for what you need.. at a minimum.. "place to sleep" - air mattress, "place to cook and consume food" - camping stove and a table., "place to keep food cold" - cooler. if thery give you any trouble, tell them its a camping rig and thats how you camp.. you dont have to have running water or a toilet or a sink.. my DEV bus still has most of its seats.. when i went in i just had an air mattress on the floor as id been on a road trip the day before to drive it home from florida.. the guy got in and said "neat bus.. looks like fun to have a bus to roll in". they verified the VIN under the hood matched the VIN on the title.. cut me an ohio title and I walked next door to the registrar and out with a tag..

my red bus is still titled and registered as a bus so its easy to tag and renew..

-Christopher
Old 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Ya crazy stuff how each one seems to do it differently. Id assume they would all be pretty run of the mill. But oh well. I think we will hold of on titling until we near the end of the project. Hoping to be wrapping things up my March. Minus Solar. This was we can take it and there wont be any issue. I don't feel like throwing something together driving it into town and spending time and money when I can just do it at the end.

Maybe that will change.

@cadillackid - Lets get a beer sometime, I got some questions