Hey guys, Found the site last year sometime after I bought my bus and figured I'd join, list my story and post where I can.
I set out last spring looking for a school bus to take to country concert(http://www.countryconcert.com/
) because we needed a place to stay for that weekend. We also were going to use it at bachelor parties, races at Eldora( http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/
) and anywhere else that we might have a few brews and need a place to crash. Well anyways, I browsed through the local school bus dealer and they really had nothing that was priced right for what I was looking for, so I started looking on craigslist. I found a few busses there but nothing that I deemed was in good enough shape mechanically to drive home. Eventually I found the one I wanted at $2200. It was owned by a couple of guys who were getting in there 30's and were ready to quit partying. They used it for pretty much the same things we were going to use it for so it was already decked out in how we wanted it, and it had the title already converted over to an rv. So I was pretty set on buying this thing. Well the day before I was going to check it out, one of the guys got cold feet and decided he didn't want to sell it. So I had the other guys number and finally convinced them both to sell it. I paid more than what I wanted to for it, but I got the main things that I wanted and we were drawing short on options. Anyways here's how it was when we bought it last May.
It's got a 6.9 idi diesel with an at545 trans. Not sure on the gear ratio but it'll scoot along doing about 70-75 down the interstate running wide open. I think that the prior owners weren't mechanically inclined, at least when it comes vehicles and school busses. The exhaust was rusted through and a complete patch job, It hadn't been serviced in awhile, the transmission shifted funny, and the glowplugs didn't work. So you had to use a shot of either just to start it. The tires were worn and the sidewalls were dry rotted, but they held air so we ran it home.
Between May 5th and July 11th we did a whole bunch of work to it. It had carpet in it that we tore out. I timed the injection pump because it was kind of lazy and blew black smoke whenever you got on it. I also changed all of the filters and greased the whole thing, including the front wheel bearings. I Also changed the engine oil because it was the blackest crap I've ever seen (It stained the concrete from where I dropped the oil filter, that's how bad it was). I adjusted the throttle cable on the transmission and now it shifts like it should. I found the glow plug control module was shot, so I put a push button on the ground side of the relay and they all work now so it starts up real quick. We painted it too because I thought it looked like hell. So I bought an HVLP spray gun kit from walmart and we used some rustoleum primer and enamel paint( I think I got the rustoleum idea off here actually). So now it looks pretty good. I also fixed all of the lights and adjusted all the brakes so it's in pretty good condition now.
Here are the things that I got planned to do to it this year:
- Put better tires on it( already found and put fronts on it, now I just need 4 drives)
- Find an a/c unit off an old rv and install it (we had two window units last year but they're a pain to remove and install).
- Mount a set of steer horns that I bought on the front above the window. (already done)
- Touch the paint up in certain spots where it was thin and flaked off.
Other than that stuff, No real big undertakings. We took it out twice last year and it was a blast both times.
The only issue I forsee is the a/c unit on the roof, so if you guys got any comments about it or really anything at all post it.