At this point time was running out the trip was a week away and my wife who generously allowed me to give the bus a was not going to be riding around in a steel banana with blackout spray paint on it.
In the first post I had allowed as how I was considering the '50$ paint job', while sanding the bus in prep for painting I realized that that was insane. I realized I was going to sand that beast only once for surface prep. I washed the bus with sugar soap. Then I sanded all the flat surfaces with my random orbit and then hit all the rail rails with steel wool then wiped down with spirits.
Because it was to be a summer trip my first step was to get white elastomeric roof paint and do the roof down to a tapes width above the over eyebrow rivets. I ended up doing 5 coats on the seams and three on the roof with the 'cat on a stick' before I ran out. The coverage was good and it really did make a huge difference on the interior temp. With the roof painted and the curtains up the back was bearable in the sun where before it was not.
For the sides I went with Rustoleum Brand and over the last year and has cured into a nice finish. The rub rail and bumper is 'leather' or something and the sides are 'sand' or something, it was at Ace and Home Depot in gallons and colors that they had in spray bombs for small parts and future touch up. When I shot the bus it was done outdoors but I lucked out and I had perhaps the only still days that entire spring. The Rustoleum took a lot of thinning to shoot well but once I got it down it went on nice. The finish is not perfect but it made a huge improvement and people look at you way less cross-eyed when you pull up than when it was yellow.
I considered doing the under window and bottom rubrail and the mirrors in the red, however I simply did not have time to mask for another color I did the grill as an accent because it comes off. In fact on the time front I simply ran out of time to get the rear prepped like the front. The reflective tape had to come off with a putty knife and heat gun the the adhesive left was unreal. The letters and numbers were fine but the tape adhesive repelled adhesive stripper and goof off. I had to use Dads EZ strip and try not to trash the paint around it. So sadly the back needs to be revisited but that is a fine opportunity to touch up the rest of it.