Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79
Re: Projekt: Freedom Panda begins!

All good words there, Cowlitz, thank you! I did have in mind going to the 24.5's. And I'm pretty sure the comfort level for prom will be 5 couples max. Just the layout alone will say 4-5. I'll make sure she chooses well, because I have a feeling with her popularity & the uniqueness of the bus there might be a few banging on the door to get in on it.

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #22
Almost There

1 Week Anniversary

It's been 7 days since I brought the Gillig home, and have been making progress.

Unfortunately, I've written 3 separate updates, and all 3 have been erased while going back and forth to place photos. Because it's 2:00am, I'm exhausted & sick & not feeling like writing the same thing for the 4th time...I'll just post the photos and fill in the text tomorrow.

Ceremonial pitching of the first seat!

Under the front passenger seat was an authentic Gillig first aid kit! 41+ years old!

All the seats stacked neatly...

This felt so good to look at....

Bathroom taped off...

I love the old school curves & lines of this bus. I have ideas brewing here...

Starting the screwy process of unscrewing all the screws...

First ceiling panel, over the cockpit. Wow...no insulation, but the dirt!

Unscrewing the side panels...

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15

Screws? you lucky devil! The rivets are fighting me tooth and nail. I've had to double up on my beers to compensate for the aggravation.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Howed you do that to the map????? Fresno is south east of Paso Robles not south west hummm ex cali skoolies want to know

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

I had completely forgotten the location of the factory first aid kit in the older Gilligs.

The C-190 Gillig I drove back in the day had the same kit in the same location. Our church's 1979 555 Gillig doesn't have the factory kit or have it in the same location. It is stuffed into the overhead compartment above the right side windshield.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #26
Bus Geek

those halogen lights work great when it's cold out...they suck in the summer time
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #27
Skoolie

I would of never thought a first aid kit would be placed there. On all of the buses I've rode on it's on a hanger near the front stairwell. Maybe that's where laws require it in MA. I think it was good thinking by gillig to put it there
jmar896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:03 AM   #28
Almost There

I know! Screws!! I was so stoked! Reading up on the nightmares of seat & wall removal issues...

Fresno is actually northeast of Paso and Bakersfield, that other bastion of fresh air, is actually southeast.

Halogen lights...I almost thought you were referring to a picture in my photobucket! ;) Yep, I'm actually grateful for the heat it puts off for now, it's getting colder. (California 'colder'). I'll get an LED set up by May, though.

The first aid kit was a surprise, as the bus already had a newer one mounted just beside the drivers seat. Apparently this was the forgotten first aid kit! I'm going to check it out, I'll take a picture of the inside for the thread...it has to be ancient stuff. I'll resupply it with fresh ingredients & mount it in the kitchen area for fun. I want to recycle what pieces I can and reincorporate them into the bus.

Took out the rest of the wall screws, and floor screws, as well as wheel well trim and a couple gadget boxes screwed on to the floor. Random little things. I've been sick the last 4 days, so I haven't worked as many hours as I'd have liked to. :/

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 11-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #29
Bus Geek

I had to quit yesterday due to the rain shorting out my extension cord.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Good work so far, I'm in the process of seat removal as well, like how you've begun plotting out your interior with tape lines. Are you going to take the floor up?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT

And all this time I thought my '46 Chevy Shorty was the only bus here that was screwed...together, that is. Inside and out, nothing but big, Phillips head sheet metal screws. An old school hand held manual impact driver quickly became my best friend.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Ha Ha, mine was only half screwed. Cold rivits outside, philips on the inside--same best friend though
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #33
Almost There

ECCB: Sorry about that rain, man. (Ouch...a little Dustin Hoffman joke there!) I'll send some if this clear California drought weather your way!

Nebudchanezzer: Definitely planning on tearing the floor up. I'm curious to see what the plywood under there right now looks like after 41 years. The plywood I put in, especially after I seal the new plywood up. I'm wanting to check for rust & if there is any, attack it and seal the entire floor length with Rustoleum or some type of sealant, then add insulation, and then laminate wood flooring.

I had mostly flat head screws in mine, with only a handful of Phillips. Had Phillips screws been invented by 1973? ;)

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 11-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #34
Almost There

Floor Plan & Ideas...

Skoolie Update: Layout

So here's a very rough sketch of the layout that I'm thinking of.

Lots still in the thinking through and basic logistics process, but I hope this makes sense. I'll explain along the way, and then if anyone has any thoughts/concerns/warnings/encouragements, please let them fly!

General stuff:

Windows:
Remove all original windows, sheet over all the windows, then cut for specific double-paned windows I'm able to find.

Deck:
Will have a deck on top, with interior access via drop down ladder. Remainder of roof will eventually be home to solar panels. Centerline walking

Working from the back:

Bathroom:
Found a full sized yet compact shower that I really like. Taller than ceiling, and not doing a roof raise, so I thought I'd cut out the section just above the wall side of the shower, and weld a raised box to allow room for the top of the shower. Thoughts?

Composting toilet. Not wanting to deal with black water, extra plumbing, etc, and this saves water and can ultimately be used as fertilizer and/or frozen yogurt toppings.

Deep frost both the rear windows, and two rear side windows for privacy while letting in light. Rooftop vent w/fan for ventilation.

Built on to the back seat shelf & level with back shelf: top access cabinets.

Pine wood ceilings/walls/cabinets. Stained darker than from area of bus.

Next, on either side: closets. Passenger side, full closet for hanging. Driver side, folded clothes, and electrical area. Out of the side of this will be a small thin cupboard door that opens to allow access to computer mounted on a telescoping bendable arm for viewing when seated at table forward of the closet.

That table will be just back of the driver side emergency exit door. Additional leaf can be added to double its size (blocking exit) to accommodate more seating.

Passenger side, counter space, then sink (farmer's sink style). Under counter space will be a 5 sq foot refrigerator and next to it a matching freezer.

Forward of driver side emergency exit, a wood burning stove. (Nectre Baker's Oven)

Forward of passenger side kitchen area will be a couch/bed combo. I have the design in mind. One twist: underneath couch will be a bathtub, framed 1/2 way down into under bus storage area, so it retains normal couch height. Lifting up couch will allow for baths, or storage in tub of whatever. Perfect place to smuggle people wanting to immigrate to Canada. Probably one full sized adult, or two adults that REALLY like each other, 3 small children, or two little people from the circus.

Front door:
Driving area/original steps will be mud room. Wall off area behind drivers seat & install real wooden door. My thinking: when inside the bus, it will a) look less like a bus and more like a home when you look forward and b) insulate better.

That's the basic idea. Going with old-school style copper sinks/tub/faucets since I think it will really play off the rustic knotty pine of the walls/ceiling. Pardon the scribbled back-of-the-napkin style drawing...I took drafting once. 28 years ago.

Hope everyone had a very good, relaxing, food-filled Thanksgiving!

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 11-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #35
Bus Geek

I like your ideas, man. I too plan to put a door in just after the "cab". I'm also going to be paneling in the windows and upgrading to insulated types. You seem to have really good taste in things, so I can't wait to see the bus as you build it. That thing will be a small, heavy palace!
I'm still jealous that yours got screwed!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

One of the best investments I made for my bus was a Dewalt heavy duty screw gun if it can't get them out it usually breaks them off. It has
also helped tremendously on screwing down the lattice work for the floor and the walls to support the insulation. Also great in installing the
subflooring. Wouldn't be without one. Its the cord type not battery.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #37
Bus Geek

good to see progress, I plan to start next weekend myself
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #38
Almost There

ECBC: Yes, she'll be heavy, but I think that taking into consideration the weight loss of the cushions, seats, and interior wall & ceiling panels, there will at least be a slight surplus of weight to start out with. I don't anticipate traveling all over the country on extended 5 year trips, she'll be my home first, rig second

Glad you like the ideas! I would go with a fiberglass tub, but I want the few 'extras' I install to be nice. When I lift the bed up and get a bath ready, I'm not wanting to feel like I'm stepping into a motel 6 tub...and I want to feel like the whole bus is tied together, not patchwork. Knotty stained pine, black woodburning stove, dark copper sink & tub just seems like it fits together like peanut butter & chocolate! *Edit: If I don't go with a copper bath tub, I may go with a full barn hillbilly style cheap metal tub.*.

I'm a fan of natural lighting in the daytime, and more subdued lighting at night. So I'll be recessing string LED's along the wall/ceiling line, with a few well placed brighter LED lights that I can use as well.

Dragonpop: I'll go invest in one of those very soon! Thanks for the recommendation.

Bansil: I'm excited to see your bus Bansil. I'm going to be following closely!

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Sounds good!
I didn't really mean anything by heavy... I meant it sounds like a luxurious pad to call "home" Mine will likely be a bit heavy too, although it isn't a GIllig.
I'm almost done with the side panels. Then on to the ceiling. Then the windows and roof vents. Starting to get to the parts that will get expensive soon.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #40
Almost There

Oh! Yeah, it'll be my full-time pad, so I'm wanting it to be nice but simple on the inside. As funds become available, I'll add solar & the tub...niceties but not essentials out if the gate...

You're farther along than I am now, I'm starting the floor tomorrow or the next day, then on to the side panels & ceiling...yes, mindless labor ending soon, pocketbook opening shortly...ugh!

www.oasisprojekt.org