Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #61
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79
Ceiling Panels Conquered!

It's been a couple weeks since my last posts. I was just about to figure out how to remove the ceiling panels, and struggling with how the dang things come out. They were fitted in together snug as anything. So I decided to do the natural thing:

Bring out the big guns. Air compressor & air chisel.

It was just a full on attack with little strategy at first. I just wanted to rip some steel open & see what I was dealing with. Ultimately, I saw that there were spot welds in about 15 places along each panel, with the panels tongued into grooves above the windows & the next panel.

I would crack in with the air chisel, then use a combination of the chisel, hammer, large screwdriver, and crowbar to extract each panel. Lots of jagged metal, only a little blood, I feel I came away pretty much victorious. Interestingly (frustratingly?) they installed the panels from the rear to the middle, and the front to the middle, so when I worked my way from the back to the front there was a point where the process I was using wasn't working anymore. I realized what they had done, cussed, called it a night & came back the next day & finished it.

12 hours of that & the ceiling was out. Easily the hardest part so far, and I'm beat up & sore. What's making it harder is a tendon issue in my left arm/wrist, rendering my left arm pretty much as a stabilizer/metal deflector/hammer target. Hit it a couple times, cussed, cussed some more, wondered what I was doing & was I crazy? and kept the assault on the ceiling going.

Ecstatic it's out! On to the next project!

Oh...kind of a fun find:

41+ year old graffiti on the inside roof, hidden by the ceiling panels for 4 decades...Balt. Warriors? I'll add my own graffiti before I slap up the insulation & new ceiling!

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #62
Almost There

More...

Next job to do is the side panels. In the previous post you can see where the panels have all been unscrewed & some loosened so that they're starting to bow in. I'm trying to figure out the strategy, because the Gilligites did it again: they built this bus like they knew Eastwood would be using it in "The Gauntlet."

The silver metal crinkly walls are welded to the lower green wall, which is in turn bent under to form the outer lip that the 3/4" plywood flooring sits on. Nasty! Beautiful design, obviously they never imagined some 5 year old (at the time) would be renovating it into his house! Beautiful but nasty.

So the plan (subject to change!) may be to torch or cut a line about 2" from the floor, from one end to the other, then lift both the silver panels (still attached to) the remaining green lower panel. After cleaning, sealing, insulating & putting up the wood walls, I'll just hide the ugly green part with matching moulding.

Speaking of all that fun stuff, I spent some time researching what type of wood I wanted to use, learned a ton, and made some decisions. I'll write about that in the next post.

First I'll show the layout as I see it now, and I'm sure it will change a little, but not drastically.

Actually, not pictured here is the electric dryer I'll install. No need for a washer, just more opportunity to flood my new home & really, I can do my own washing in a plastic tub! The dryer is important to, well...DRY stuff, but also "man iron" my shirts & pants. I found a really cool dryer, and it's a low-energy sucking cute little thing.

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats on getting the ceiling panels out.
I just finished mine up recently. Air chisel is awesome, I love mine.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #64
Bus Geek

See...Victory is Swwwweeet!!!!!...and why keep hitting your arm if it already hurt ?

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #65
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPanda View Post
Actually, not pictured here is the electric dryer I'll install. No need for a washer, just more opportunity to flood my new home & really, I can do my own washing in a plastic tub! The dryer is important to, well...DRY stuff, but also "man iron" my shirts & pants. I found a really cool dryer, and it's a low-energy sucking cute little thing.

If anything I'd sacrifice the dryer long before the washer. Its much easier to string a clothes line above your woodstove than it is to scrub spaghetti sauce out of your underwear.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Yes I agree with headintrees.
To each their own though.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #67
Almost There

ECCB: It was the difference maker, although the good old hammer was the go-to workhorse most of the time. The Air Chisel was pure butter though!

Bansil: hmmmmm.....for the challenge of working through even more pain? Haha

Tree head: I agree. One of my biggest pet peeves is spaghetti sauce in my underwear. Happens at least twice a week. But this is my thinking: I don't want lines of clothes dripping water on my floor, or smelling of burning oak. But the main thing is that I'm trying to keep the water lines simple & few. One for my shower, one for my kitchen sink & water heater. And the 'Man Iron' aspect...can't forget de-wrinkling your clothes! ;)

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Have you thought about one of the small european washer dryer units?
They install them in their kitchens and they are both a dryer and a washer in the same smallish unit. about the size of a western dishwasher usually. I know you aren't keen on more plumbing, but it really wouldn't take much to add one of these and then you would have both in the same footprint. Just a thought.
Starting to think about going that route myself.
Oh- MERRY XMAS to all!
Old 12-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #69
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Have you thought about one of the small european washer dryer units?
They install them in their kitchens and they are both a dryer and a washer in the same smallish unit. about the size of a western dishwasher usually. I know you aren't keen on more plumbing, but it really wouldn't take much to add one of these and then you would have both in the same footprint. Just a thought.
Starting to think about going that route myself.
Oh- MERRY XMAS to all!

Those are super nice. Seen them on some higher end rv's too. Best part is, you don't have to move your clothes halfway through. Just put em in and 2 hours later they're clean and dry.

I've always thought if you were industrious you could make one of these DIY. Just add a heater+blower to a regular washer, a microcontroller with some relays, and some clever code. Could get tricky with waterproofing and such, I haven't worked out the details of this obviously. :P
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #70
Bus Geek

In actual use those combo units suck...you can do 2 sets of clothes at a time or they never get clean or dry....2shirts,2pants and 4 socks

I have talked with enough folks that hate them (no personal experience)

Most full timers or 2week travelers have seperate apartment appliances

We don't have room, we use a laundry mat once a week normally at campgrounds
Old 12-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #71
Bus Geek

I know a ton of folks who use them. They are standard appliances everyone uses in the UK and Europe. Unless they are rich.
They aren't as good as separate units, but they have a much smaller footprint too.
If only going with one machine, its certainly preferable to be able to do both functions even at a reduced capacity.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #72
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Roof panels looks like a huge job, but glad you got them out...congrats
Old 12-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #73
Almost There

Brown, they were rough. I have a bum left wrist since Sept., some kind of tendon issue. I've spent over $600 on it already. I'll keep politics out of it, but I'll just say I don't have insurance & can't afford it. None too happy about it. So trying to do this project with a bum arm is a challenge. Just glad it's my left and not right arm!

Ok... No more whining ;)

For my preferences, a washing machine doesn't appeal at all. The two water-using appliances that turn on you and flood your place or bust pipes etc.?

Toilet & washing machine.

So I've decided to absolutely steer clear of those, and happily so. Really stoked about the composting toilet... The more I researched, the better it sounds!

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #74
Bus Geek

Quote:
Brown, they were rough. I have a bum left wrist since Sept., some kind of tendon issue. I've spent over $600 on it already. I'll keep politics out of it, but I'll just say I don't have insurance & can't afford it. None too happy about it. So trying to do this project with a bum arm is a challenge. Just glad it's my left and not right arm!

Ok... No more whining ;)

For my preferences, a washing machine doesn't appeal at all. The two water-using appliances that turn on you and flood your place or bust pipes etc.?

Toilet & washing machine.

So I've decided to absolutely steer clear of those, and happily so. Really stoked about the composting toilet... The more I researched, the better it sounds!
Yes! It's whatever YOU like, that's the beauty of building something yourself!
I happen to have a fairer half who happily does ALL the household laundry, so I always keep her fully equipped for the job. Plus I really hate laundromats. She's from the UK (Glasgow) and likes the little kitchen units.

Your bus is gonna be amazing, man. I really dig the look of the exterior. Classic. Glad someone cool got that Gillig. I sure was watching that one stay at $500 for the first bit of the auction.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #75
Almost There

ECBC:
True, I love the fact that by jumping in to the SkoolieWorld you can really make it 'your own,' and infuse your project with whatever personal flavor you'd like! I was just talking with a friend if mine who has a 25' 5th wheel, and he's renting it out to a buddy. He saw my bus & I walked him through the floor plan, what I wanted to build the counters, bed, walls & ceilings out of and he was jealous. Said that if he had to do it over & had the time, he would have refitted a skoolie and it wouldn't have weathered & started to fall apart like his, and the internals would have been exactly what he wanted & better quality. All for the same cost as he paid for for his pre-fab ready-made unit. It seems to be a common theme when I talk to some folks, and I enjoy the looks when I tell them it's going to be my actual 'home.' Also interesting: the number if people I talk to who don't even bat an eye and share that a friend has done it, is doing it or will be doing it, and using it as their home as well. Im enjoying every part of th process

You're lucky to have a fairer half, and especially one that will do the household chores! Left to my own devices, I might get swallowed up in dirty laundry one day. ;). And Glasgow? Does she have a single sister? ;). I just got back from a UK trip (Scotkand, England, Wales & Ireland) and loved it. Scotland really captured my heart. Wonderful place. Missed Glasgow this time, but will be back in September so hoping to spend a couple days there if possible.

I'm really digging the classic lines of the Gillig too. So funny we were both following the same auction. She would have made it back to your side of the country no problem. Definitely needed a cleaning before that though, she was dirty! I still haven't really cleaned her much since I was just demolishing the insides, but after I get the ceiling reconditioned & the wall panels out, I'll be giving her a good interior once-over.

So that's what's up next: remove side panels, clean & seal ceiling (although it's in amazing shape), identify & fix any rooftop rust problems, remove floorboards & grind out any frame rust & seal with Por 15.

I'm STOKED for the next month of work!

Hope everyone had an awesome & peaceful Christmas & a great New Year coming up this week! Be safe!

Dug

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Not that it's the SAME, but for 25 bucks a gallon there is Rusty Metal Primer at Lowes that would go a LOT further on a bus than POR15. That's the route I'm going. I used this Rust Primer on a project VW years ago and am still amazed as its been holding up really well. I use Ospho first then the Rustoleum Rusty Metal, then whatever topcoat, usually something flat black or semi gloss.

Funny thing about Glasgow- No one I know from there recommends it too heavily to tourists as they have the highest crime and murder rates in all of western europe. Its a dirty old town but part of Scotland for better or worse. It has its charms I guess. I got really lucky finding this lovely Scot. Have you tried all the Scottish stuff? Like Irnbru, haggis, Buckfast, etc?
We hope to visit the Highlands in a couple years, once we are done seeing the Western states.

And you're right- everyone seems to know someone who has done it. An aunt of Roxy's actually told us about her and an ex living in a skoolie for a few years back in the 80's. She said they traveled almost all 50 states.

Have a great New Year yourself. Cheers, mate.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #77
Almost There

Happy New Year!!!

Happy New Year, everybody!

Was busy over the holidays, but managed to keep plugging. Even if I'm not in the bus, my mind is grinding on one thing or another that has to do with layout, materials, cost, etc.

The latest thing to get done was the inside wall panels. They were attached pretty firmly at the bottom to the (what's the name for it? Base? Thingamajig?). I decided the best option was to take this:

Grind through about 7 discs doing this:

Then wrestle with each panel a little like this:

Until the bus looked kinda naked on the inside like this:

I've got the floor panels all ready to just lift out, but keeping them in while I still have dirty work to do. I'm thinking I'll be addressing the ceiling/roof looking at possible trouble spots, which I've found a few of but so far as I can tell the rust issues are minimal & easily remedied.

Clean the entire ceiling with mineral spirits.

Clean the walls with mineral spirits. There's 42 years of dust & grime that needs to go back in the earth.

Power grind & buff the floor/supports, then clean & seal.

When I'm done with that, I'll start cutting the sub floor & floor pieces, treating them, and ordering the insulation so that I can start that process. Looking forward to that aspect actually, don't know exactly why!

I've been struggling with a tendon issue in my left wrist since early September - called De Quervain's tendinosis - and aside from being irritatingly painful, it keeps me from being able to really use my left arm like I normally would. I find I can't just go into "Hulk Smash!!" mode, or carry things like I normally would, or even pull up my pants or hold things normally.

All that being said, I'm pressing forward, just a little more slowly & surely than I might normally! And yes...there have been moments I've hit my wrist with a hammer, or a piece of ceiling came down & thwacked it, leaving me no choice but to use spicy language suitable only for old-time sailors, or Samuel L. Jackson.

But I digress!

The bus plans on the inside are coming in to focus. I'm very excited about seeing it all come together. I've realized I will need to get help from friends or qualified pros if I want it to be a) livable by September and b) look nice. I'm ok with that. I've had several people get really excited about helping (electrical, plumbing, wood), so I'm stoked & thankful to be able to have something that allows friends to be together. It's all about community!

The outside? Wow. I'm at a loss. I want to do something that a) diminishes/disperses the heat, and looks nice to me & not painted like a wild Burning Man / Woodstock hippy bus, but still has character & includes a nod to my non-profit somehow, artfully.

Not really ever being a "tool guy," not mechanically inclined, quite possibly a crappy painter, and being terrible at math all make me wonder "WHAT am I doing ??" and "What AM I doing??" This project is definitely stretching me!

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 01-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Excellent pics. Moving along nicely!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Making good progress ... great pics!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Quote:
Happy New Year, everybody!

I've been struggling with a tendon issue in my left wrist since early September - called De Quervain's tendinosis - and aside from being irritatingly painful, it keeps me from being able to really use my left arm like I normally would. I find I can't just go into "Hulk Smash!!" mode, or carry things like I normally would, or even pull up my pants or hold things normally.

Sorry, you can't use that as an excuse anymore...know why?

because Pirates sailed the world doing smash and grabs and even worst things like drinking and blow....Vegas style....

and all with a Giant Hook

maybe tape the pencil to your thumb and wrist to remind you not to use it?

and nice job stripping her to the bare walls and ceiling