Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

Re: Projekt: Freedom Panda begins!

Crown Supercoaches had very similar floor construction.

Why they were built without a metal floor I have no idea other than weight or cost savings. Highway coaches had wood floors without metal so it may have been a holdover from that.

On the other hand, most eastern built buses only had metal floors for years. At the time of retirement the floors looked like roller coasters as you looked down the aisle where the metal had sagged between the cross frames. While wood floors over metal are the standard spe'c in many states it is still on option in many of the eastern states. In states that have few temperature extremes and short life cycles the addition of wood in the floors isn't really a necessary option.

There is no reason not to think you could make a sandwich to add insulation in your floor.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #52
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79

Thank you for that info Cowlitz. I'll check on the specific type of oil tomorrow, I do know they're pretty full from picking them up when I bought the bus.

There's actually a two piece metal door stop/lock for the front door. The doors are pretty loose, if you wanted to you could get in that way. I was thinking about installing a keyed lock on the outside of the side emergency exit that's flush with the skin on the outside, turn bolt inside. I have to get one at some point, may as well be now. The last thing I want is getting things close to finished and some vandals just walk in. Where the bus is now, it's not highly likely but not impossible either.

I'm intrigued & encouraged with the floor. Options to sink the shower may be easier, also insulation may be more effective. Speaking of insulation, I was thinking of this: Owens Corning R30 Insulation Foil Faced Batts 24 in. x 48 in. (8-Bags). Anyone have experience with it? R30 is pretty decent, and foil faced seems logical. 9 1/2" thick, would fit in every place I'd need it.

Also noticed that the inside wall panels are somehow attached firmly to the lower part of the walls. The lower part curves underneath the floorboards....and is welded solid to the rest of the frame. My thought is that I'll have to cut through the lower part of the wall where it meets the floor. (Good view of it in the first photo above, with my thumb up...) Otherwise, the new wall will bow out and I'd have to cut the upper side panels off anyway. Hmmmm....

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71

Hey Panda,

Noticed the knee pads, picked up one of these at Harbor Freight, really made side panel removal better
http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic- ... 46319.html
Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #54
Almost There

That's a brilliant idea . Thank you!

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Your head is bald like mine...get a cheap welders cap, saves on scars from sparks and keeps head warm

I will be doing a sunken tub next,
I believe the term is Folicaly challenged
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #56
Almost There

Making my way towards the back of the Gillig today, sure enough: it has nothing between the highway and the plywood except a little height and some thinly & poorly sprayed on silver spray paint, sprayed on AFTER the boards were laid down...and it's not sprayed on every board. Crazy. Wasn't expecting this, but it *may* turn into a blessing in disguise, albeit more work. (Translated: more fun! Bring it on, Gilligan!)

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #57
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach
I noticed a jug of Delo 400 oil in the luggage compartment. Good choice of oil if it is 15W-40 and NOT the LE version that is normally found at Costco, Wal-Mart, and most auto parts stores. The LE (low emission) version of Delo 400 is NOT reverse compatible for pre-emission (2007) engines. It does not have ZDDP or some such. It is mostly zinc and phosphorus. Without the zinc or phosphorus in the oil you are going to have metal on metal at start up on all of your flat tappet areas. You can flat spot a cam and take out the bottom of a lifter without the ZDDP. The LE version took the ZDDP out because the ZDDP kills the catylitic convertors much in the same way leaded fuels destroyed the catylitic convertors on '70's and '80's gas powered vehicles.
I got the Costco Delo 400 and change the oil on my 3208 cat, after reading your comment I will replace asap.

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #58
Almost There

Next step is removing the ceiling panels. Looked around last night on the site, didn't find anything on the topic, wondering if anyone has any tips. The panels are really tight together, with screws in the very back area by the emergency exit, and some in the front. Middle ceiling panel in drivers area is removed, no insulation (no insulation anywhere in the entire bus, actually).

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #59
Almost There

Would anyone have any tips on the best way to remove the ceiling panels?

I'm working on it, but man, it's ON there tight. They didn't just slap these old Gilligs together. They tanked them up well.

I appear to be stuck. I'll be cutting the bottom of the wall panels off, starting to think I should just start cutting the ceiling all to heck as well, but would like to not make anything harder than it is...

www.oasisprojekt.org
Old 12-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78

Sorry- mine are riveted all to hell.
Have you tried an air hammer/chisel to pry the ceiling panels apart? I think it would help your cause.