Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: C-50 chevy
Engine: 8.2 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 28
Race Bus

I am working on and using a 1985 Chevy 28 pass bus to tow my 25 foot trailer with a nostalgia drag racing car to races.
It has an 8.2 detroit turbo diesel and allison 4 speed automatic. Its a little under powred and extremely low geared, 5:38 to be exact.
I am wondering what can be done with this engine to put more HP on the road without risking low depedability.
I was thinking about taller gears but the last trip to Fontana CA was at 40 mph up the grades and taller gears would only hurt that part of the operation.
I have put a 5.5 KW generator under it and 6 inche side pipe with stright through exhaust, it has a 1200 watt stereo with a flat screen TV. I have covered the entire inside with dyna-mat sound deadener (this maybe the best thing I have done so far to make the bus fun to drive)
I have a black water tank, a gray water tank and a water system for showering and flushing, but havent got the bath room in yet.
What motor would fit the allison bell housing, it would be nice to put a 300 cat in it someday.
Anyway, I will get pictures on the site soon and hope to hear from as many as possible with ideas to get some HP increase.

Thanks

Nevadabandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Race Bus

welcome aboard;
sounds like a cool package with lots of options,
check the diesel forums to see what can be done to turn up the injection pump/governor,
look at a 2 speed rear axle out of a medium duty truck to split your axle ratios,
which allison trans, the 545's are non lockup, the 643 lockup in 3 & 4,
your bellhousing should be a round opening standard SAE size, that will interchange with most compatable engine and trans packages, just make sure that the trans is rated for the torque and hp of the intended engine.
look for a takeout engine & trans package that was factory matched for compatability,

keep us posted
pictures please
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote