Time for an update!
I worked a lot this summer and hunted though the fall and didn't get much done on the bus but framing odds and ends and some more exterior work. With winter in full swing things are slowing down for me now though and I'm hard at it again.
With the framing at 95% it's time to start thinking about the mechanical rough in. Thanks to Redbear I'm on my way with figuring out what electrical equipment I'm going to use. It's going to be a pretty typical converter/charger, inverter, battery bank arrangement, heavy on the DC storage side for off grid boondocking. I'll go into more detail when I get all the components in hand.
This weekend we also removed the dome lights and speakers from the ceiling. I was originally going to just run with the factory ceiling, but I've decided that I'm going to go over the exposed parts of the ceiling with a thin paneling so I can relocate the lights and hide all the holes in it. Once we got into removing the old wiring from the dome lights, speakers and upper flashers that led us right into the exterior light indicator panel that was located above the drivers seat. I'm going to have a shallow cabinet in that forward bulkhead above the windshield for the 12 volt TV/DVD and didn't want to bury all those wires running in and out of that thing behind it so I spent all afternoon figuring out what went where. It took a bit but I got it figured it out and have cut out the indicator panel all together, removing all the unnecessary flasher wires and soldering up the necessary ones so they run directly to the control panel.
I'm going to dig into that beast next, most of the switches are controlling nothing now so I'm going to keep the switches that still do, continue stripping out the unnecessary and built another panel face to mount them in. That's for another day though I can only take so much of digging though wires with a test light, jumper and multimeter
I'm happy I got as much sorted out as I did, it seems pretty down hill now, just the tedious stripping out of switches and wires.
I'm only half automotive DC electrically literate and the task was intimidating, so I went slow and methodical with the bus running and every exterior light on figuring out what every wire powered up and marking them as I went. I got a little hung up on the fact that for a couple of the rear light functions there were two wires coming into the exterior light indicator and only one coming out to the control panel.
I felt like we got over a pretty big hump today with the old electrical, I've been framing around that big bundle of wires for awhile now not really wanting to get in the middle of it till I had too!