Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54
Re: RazorCityDen's 1994 Cornbinder *Updated 01/03/10*

A few pics of sorting out the excess wiring.

Out with the old in with the new, I thought I was going to have time to pull all the ceiling light wire today and set switches but the demo work took longer than I expected it too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0633.JPG (194.7 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0632.JPG (63.8 KB, 880 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.JPG (226.6 KB, 880 views)
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Re: RazorCityDen's 1994 Cornbinder

I love what you did with the re-located entry and raised clearance removind the steps behind the right front tire - better for off off-road!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #63
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
I love what you did with the re-located entry and raised clearance removind the steps behind the right front tire - better for off off-road!
Thanks !

I got the idea from "Sportyricks" flat nose conversion but I'm happy how it worked out on our conventional. I would have liked to have had the RV entry door closer to the front of the bus but couldn't do it with the fuel tank in the way of the stair well. So I settled for putting the door in the window bay right in front of the duals, which worked out well since the wood stove is on a platform above the wheel well giving it "free" clearance by the stairwell without loosing interior space. I tucked the step up as high as I could for clearance, but the biggest reason I did the door conversion was for the side by side seating, it makes for nice and a cozy crew compartment. It also just plain looks cool IMO!

The picture doesn't reflect it but there is now a wood stove pipe cut into the window skin over the duals right next to the door, I debated back and fourth about venting though the wall or though the roof and finally decided on wall. I was concerned branches would damage a roof jack coming out of the roof and cause it to leak. So I just stubbed the stove pipe short (1") coming out the side wall window insert right under the window gutter and will cap the stub when traveling and store the stove pipe and spark arrester in the stove when not in use. My stove isn't permanently in yet I still have to order proper stovepipe, right now I'm using 26 gauge vent pipe to get out of the bus because that's all I could find locally in 5". I'm using the nesting tapered sections and arrester that came with the stove for the exterior pipe since it's the right gauge and tapers from 5" and will take a 5" elbow.

We have been right around zero with blowing snow all during the holidays and the new stove keeps the bus nice and toasty with less than a 5 gallon bucket of wood scraps for a 12 hour work day! Wood heat in the way to go IMO!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Den, good to see ya back. It's sub-zero and freakin windy in sin city also. Also moved into the inside stuff for the winter. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #65
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
Den, good to see ya back. It's sub-zero and freakin windy in sin city also. Also moved into the inside stuff for the winter. Keep up the good work.
I seem to get more done on the bus in the winter. I had to go all over hell and gone to stay busy building this summer and had my tools scattered all over Wyoming on different jobs. Winter works good for me, kid goes to school, girlfriend heads to work (so she can support us ) me and the dog head out to the bus and stoke up the stove. I make good progress like that.

Hows your interior coming?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Great to see you are back after the absense!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #67
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
Great to see you are back after the absense!
Thanks ezbme! Your making me a little misty.

Take Care,
Den
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Gillette - It used to be my town-78 to 86- the last I was there was I was building Bookie 1 storage out at Keyhole. Many great times in NE Wy.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #69
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeflyer
Gillette - It used to be my town-78 to 86- the last I was there was I was building Bookie 1 storage out at Keyhole. Many great times in NE Wy.
Right on, I did a couple cabin remodels out by the lake this summer. Things have really slowed down around here I usually don't mess around with remodels, these days a guys just happy to stay busy.

Take care,
Den
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #70
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Den, looks good! Curious....when you enclosed the stock door opening, was the front side of the opening (against the cowl/windshield frame) plumb, or did it run at a slight angle?

Smitty
It's plumb and square Smitty. The close up picture of the passenger side window installation has a fish bowel thing going on that makes it all look slightly curved

I think it's because I took the picture standing on the ground looking up at it. Also in that picture you see a different reveal from the top of the replacement filler panel to the bottom of the window. That panel has a taper across the top of it for some reason. It was hanging me up till I put a 8' level on it as a straight edge and realized it didn't plane out with the existing panels, also the bottom to top measurements are different at each end. The first go around I just hung it off two top screws flushed to the top strut we welded in and it was running uphill enough the rub rails formed in the panel wouldn't lay flat and lap the other panel like it should. So I took the front screw out and let the panel down till everything planed out. The top rub rail comes across the top of the panel and hides it so it's not a big deal. It surprised me though since I'm continually amazed at how uniform Bluebird manage to build those coaches, you just don't realize how uniform they are till you start pulling a lot of measurements during layout and framing.

Take care,
Den