Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Regarding Diesel Fuel Hose...

Howdy All --- I just learned something new. Maybe everyone else is aware of this, but...just in case...

If you need to replace any fuel lines on a diesel engine (supply or return), there are now different types of hose. What with the new-fangled additives and bio-diesel out there, you have to make sure to get the right type or it can break down pretty quickly. As in dissolve, apparently.

They are rated as "regular diesel"...or..."Regular and bio-diesel". And according to one of the chaps at NAPA, some carry ratings for different amounts of bio-diesel with the best hoses being able to handle up to 100% and others only good to 10%. Who knew?

Just one more thing to consider.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howdy All --- I just learned something new. Maybe everyone else is aware of this, but...just in case...

If you need to replace any fuel lines on a diesel engine (supply or return), there are now different types of hose. What with the new-fangled additives and bio-diesel out there, you have to make sure to get the right type or it can break down pretty quickly. As in dissolve, apparently.

They are rated as "regular diesel"...or..."Regular and bio-diesel". And according to one of the chaps at NAPA, some carry ratings for different amounts of bio-diesel with the best hoses being able to handle up to 100% and others only good to 10%. Who knew?

Just one more thing to consider.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Yup and it's important to know which grade of fuel will be available in which part of the country. In the Midwest it's usually less than 5% but on the West coast it can be as high as 20%.

Also, I don't know that many of us are running new enough rigs that they have the new emission after-treatment systems (DEF or blue juice) but higher % biodiesel fuels really tax the system apparently... Which makes you wonder why they bother with it if it doesn't get the same fuel economy and burns dirtier than petroleum diesel fuels.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
The new low sulfur and biodiesel mixes are hard on fuel systems made for the old stuff. I just had to rebuild the fuel filter canister on my 7.3L Powerstroke because of a nasty fuel leak caused by the new fuel eating a few O rings.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I recently replaced 5 O-rings and 4 sealing washers in the fuel system. Something, maybe 15 years use, made them leak.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
The new low sulfur and biodiesel mixes are hard on fuel systems made for the old stuff. I just had to rebuild the fuel filter canister on my 7.3L Powerstroke because of a nasty fuel leak caused by the new fuel eating a few O rings.
Is there an additive one can purchase to help "neutralize" that problem and make it like good ol #2 diesel?
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
interesting as I had recently a small fuel leak on the suction side of my fuel system causing my fuel pump to lose its prime.. ended up being one of those copper washers needed re-seated...

so the newer fuels can damage even the copper washers? I figured eventually id have to replace hoses but didnt realize it damages the copper washers too..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's spooky if it's eating copper. I also expect to have to replace the hoses. This is basically the same thing as how gas eats the rubber in older vehicles fuel systems.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's spooky if it's eating copper. I also expect to have to replace the hoses. This is basically the same thing as how gas eats the rubber in older vehicles fuel systems.
yeah the ethanol in gasolines will eat up and dry out fuel lines that werent designed for it... people pumping E85 into anon flex-fuel car will make a mess of things..

I dont know that todays diesel is eating copper.. I just saw mention of someone having to replace fuel washers.. and here I had a copper washer leak.... so I just kind of assumed.. esp since my bus is 25 years old..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Is there an additive one can purchase to help "neutralize" that problem and make it like good ol #2 diesel?
There's no additive that I've heard of, but, particularly for the 7.3L there are new o-ring kits that aren't effected by the new fuels. I'd never heard of ULSD damaging copper but a search turned up this article which says that it does attack copper and zinc.

http://www.argoturbo.com/pdfs/Haynes...l%202-3-12.pdf
Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Have to wonder if the fuel additives could have been developed by the same geniuses that came up with the new chemicals in treated lumber and failed to tell anyone...

"oh, BTW...this lumber will dissolve any and all fasteners except those with a brand new special coating".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote