Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Good solid info David!

Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:38 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriosityBus View Post
So, a lot has happened in the bus since my first post and I’ll be making a reply with picture updates very soon.

I wanted to discuss batteries quickly. Also it’s not confirmed but I believe I have an Allison 2000 as a tranny.

Anyways, I’ve been having a problem with the batteries in my bus... basically the batteries don’t last more than 3 days.

I once ran it in aux mode for 15 minutes while I was measuring and the next day the bus wouldn’t start. So we charged it up completely and then it ran! 3 days go by (I haven’t started the bus during those 3 days), and they’re completely dead again. Like absolutely drained to nothing. Not even enough for the bus to try and turn over.

That same thing has happened 4 times now, and I haven’t been able to start my bus since mid december because it just keeps dying. It’s odd because they passed the safety but I’m new to the world of bus mechanics.

So I was wondering if anyone had any battery recommendations. I need ones capable of enduring strong and cold weather climates as I’m in Canada and it can get to be super cold here.

I would agree it is important to discover what may or may not be draining the juice out of your batteries.

It might be nothing draining and it could just be your batteries are getting old and cold. All batteries are rated at 70*F and most are at 50% of rated capacity at 30*F. If you are at temperatures below 30*F and the batteries are more than five years old it doesn't surprise me that your bus won't start.

If it is possible, the next time you go to start your bus go out at least an hour before and hook the battery(s) up to a battery charger. Warming up the internals of a battery can breathe new life into an older battery. You might be surprised at how much more juice you have if the batteries are not freezing cold. It is also really important to not let your batteries discharge completely in really cold weather. If the charge is too low the water in the batteries can freeze and split the battery case.

As far as replacement batteries are concerned, you want to get the highest cold cranking amp rating as you can get. Not all batteries are equal. There are some Group 31 batteries that have a higher cold cranking amp rating than some 8D batteries and cost nearly the same.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, dream bus, international 3800, skoolie build, t444e