Old 08-14-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
Here are some more pictures.

Another full bus shot.

The insides

My lovely lady hard at work on the house. Grinding some rust spots out.

We will be camping out Friday night on the land in our tent and then working on it that Saturday and Sunday. Friday night I plan spraying it with the marine clean, and early morning I will wash it out and then spray with the metal prep. Ill paint during the day time because I know it will probably dry faster with the heat. Sunday if all goes well should be a flooring day.
StruggleBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Bus Nut
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Pics are broken to me, sorry
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. — George Washington
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 3126b CAT
Awesome! Can't wait to follow the progress and congrats on getting it to the land!
The adventures of two full-time travelers from the Natural State, living in a bus and exploring life, one road at a time.

Follow along at:
NaturalStateNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Bus Nut
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Awesome progress! Great build
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
So some important things have happened in the last two days. We decided to go camp out on our home for the next year and get some stuff done. We were able to clear out everything and store it in the barn.

At that point we drove it up close to the well and hooked up our cheapo Harbor Freight Pressure washer, which we are taking back after it failed only with one use. We got a large amount of grime out, we did one plain wash, then I soaked it with the Marine Clean in a pump sprayer, washed it out again and at that point the pressure washer broke. We then used the Metal Prep and sprayed it at night, it probably stayed moist for a hour and then dried. I let it sit over night, earlier in the morning we just took the garden hose and rinsed it out. For those who told me to not wash the Metal Prep off, the manufacturer instructions say to do so. We let the bus dry for a good hour or two seeing as it was a hot day and got to work on painting the floor which turned out really good. I am interested as to see how it turns out, we need to get it framed ASAP due to the POR 15 UV sensitivity, but that will happen tomorrow or this Friday.

The other awesome thing that almost seemed impossible for a minute was getting the bus insured. We got a RV insurance plan from American Family after failing with many other brokers and doing some research on here. We did not even indicate that it was a conversion or a bus, just that its a already registered RV and we are trying to transfer the title and get tags, they asked for the year, make, model and the VIN and a little more hoop jumping and bam! We had insurance. Some advice, do not ever say bus or conversion especially if they don't ask. Never say you are going to live in it full-time. They might ask if they can come see your Skoolie, but if you have good credit you have nothing to worry about. Tomorrow we get it registered in a county that requires no emissions test and get temporary tags for it!

I can't wait to do more internal work now that the legal bullshit that you need for your freedom is over.

The sad news is, after I drove it up a slight hill so we could pressure wash the insides and had it out for the weekend the engine started once, died and wouldn't start again. I am going to trouble shoot tomorrow, I think its a fuel problem so I am going to start by seeing if diesel is coming from the injection lines. I have a mechanic coming this week seeing as I cant get it to the Cummins place in Henderson, CO.

Time for some more pictures

Before the first wash, had to move some stuff around.

First wash, man was the run off dirty.

My beautiful girlfriend, letting me take a break.

The water runoff started looking clear after the Marine Clean and Metal Prep

That devils blood though.

I could get used to this, ya know?
StruggleBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
Bus Nut
Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
A couple things to check on your no start problem. Mine had similar issues and the problem was a loose fitting spin on fuel filter and dry cracked and leading fuel lines from the lift pump to the injection pump. I have an international DT408 but the principles are the same. It sounds like you're losing fuel prime after sitting on an incline due to air getting in somewhere.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote