Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I worked in a steel fabrication shop for more than a decade and this is something one learns quickly!
Keep up the good work, yall. You got a great bus there.
I guess Thomas glues the rubber down.
Mine was only held down by the aluminum trim strips.

Got some Ospho?

Yes the glue down sections ( which was most of it) was extemely hard to remove, probally the hardest part so far. It was an intense 2-4 hours of us swithing back and forth on with the floor scraper. I think I lost 8+ lbs that day in water, and of coarse it was a hot humid day.

I thought i broke my hand, when using the scraper; as i put all my weight behind it and the thing hit a bolt and stopped.

Got a gallon, wanted to get another one; but they only had one in stock. Will get it later. I will need it to treat my panel skins.
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
A gallon goes pretty far. I'm super cheap, so on areas that have extremely light rust I use a slightly diluted mix with some distilled water. Maybe 20-30%. The heavier rust gets undiluted ospho.
I highly recommend using an old windex type spray bottle witht he ospho. It helps get the stuff working better spraying it.
I know that feeling of thinking your hand is broke! I spent last summer using a similar tool to remove tiles and flooring in a temporary job I had with a floor guy. My hands and arms felt horrible for a while.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #23
Almost There

The wife first time using a electric sheers, again a HF unit. she loved the curly waste. we used it to remove the side wall panels. We will go back and use a grinder to finish the job at a later date. We could not figure out how to get panels out from under the windows. Seems like they put them in first then put the exterior panels over them. Makes a good window pan though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150829_130855.jpg (118.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
A gallon goes pretty far. I'm super cheap, so on areas that have extremely light rust I use a slightly diluted mix with some distilled water. Maybe 20-30%. The heavier rust gets undiluted ospho.
I highly recommend using an old windex type spray bottle witht he ospho. It helps get the stuff working better spraying it.
I know that feeling of thinking your hand is broke! I spent last summer using a similar tool to remove tiles and flooring in a temporary job I had with a floor guy. My hands and arms felt horrible for a while.

I had it left over removing linoleum from my house a couple of years ago, around 500-600 sq feet. It sucked then too, but works great just need a little elbo grease.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #25
Almost There

Quote:
We are planning on using a sprayer for it the pump type. I am putting this off until I can find a water supply close by (safety). The place we are converting it at does not have running water. The neighbor will most likely let us run a hose. Acid and skin do not mix well, and I know that first hand. Had a bottle of Oleum 124 % break on me at work, I got real lucky and had two small burns on my arms, but my jeans were gone. I flooded out the lab in the emergency shower. I did make a couple of bucks for that one, stripping down in less than minute; after I was alright, coworkers were throwing dollar bill for stripping, LOL. Something like this usually does not end so well, so it was in good spirit. I learned my lesson, aprons, sleeves, and full face pieces.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Yeah I don't at all like acids or chemicals.
I'm lucky, my bus is currently parked right next to a well. But with ospho, the only water I've needed is simply to wash my hands off. I'm less scared of it than other chemicals though. Its not so strong that it burns the skin, at least not to quickly. I do always wear my face shield when spraying it though.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #27
Almost There

My 9-5 has me working with all sort of chemicals, and I have done some crazy experiments in my career. I have the upmost respect for the stuff. 12 years as a chemist, to pay for school i have worked a couple of years in sheet metal roofing fab. and 5-6 years as an electrician. I am currently working with energetic materials (explosives) lol. I still have ten toes and ten finger. Man one of these days I should get safe job.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #28
Bus Geek

You sound like me, only smarter!
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 AM   #29
Almost There

Quote:
You sound like me, only smarter!

Thanks, but not smarter; just a different set of knowledge.

I try to learn as much as possible and think i have a good skill set.
I guess I will be adding welding and painting to the mix soon.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Welding is a GREAT skill to learn.
Painting too. I'm really glad I finally broke down and bought an automotive type spray gun. Saving a ton on cans of rustoleum.