Old 05-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #371
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your ceiling looks great!!!

my hand throttle is messed up too.. must be a DT thing... I havent even yet found the cable under the hood.. theres a reason the knob was missing off the dash.. likely cable frozen up and someone yanked the knob..

I found 2 exhaust bolts missing completely on mine.. maybe check to make sure yours are tight.. I know these DT's vibrate everything thats not bolted down and some things that are!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #372
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
your ceiling looks great!!!

my hand throttle is messed up too.. must be a DT thing... I havent even yet found the cable under the hood.. theres a reason the knob was missing off the dash.. likely cable frozen up and someone yanked the knob..

I found 2 exhaust bolts missing completely on mine.. maybe check to make sure yours are tight.. I know these DT's vibrate everything thats not bolted down and some things that are!!

-Christopher
Mines not too bad in terms of vibration.
Yeah, I think these hand throttles are probably a known PITA. I've wondered what would be involved with getting an ACTUAL hand throttle setup. Could be pretty nice, IDK. I've no experience with them, but I know there are ways to do it. I've seen RV's setup for a paraplegic. Just something I've thought about, I doubt I'll ever do that or anything.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #373
Bus Geek

Gonna put in an order for some 3/16" and 1/4" closed end rivets this week and start out using them to rivet on some panels over the holes left from the roof hatches, vent, and strobe.

Can't wait to try out the HF riveter.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #374
Bus Geek

i finballty found my hand throttle... I searched for over an hour under the hood.. then finally grabbed the book and its just a cable going right to the pedal... how easy is that...

are you just metaling over your roof hatch? or putting an A/C in the spot? I have one hatch and it leaks .. trying to figure out what to do with it.. if i should just change it or try to seal it...

-Christopher
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #375
Bus Geek

Quote:
i finballty found my hand throttle... I searched for over an hour under the hood.. then finally grabbed the book and its just a cable going right to the pedal... how easy is that...

are you just metaling over your roof hatch? or putting an A/C in the spot? I have one hatch and it leaks .. trying to figure out what to do with it.. if i should just change it or try to seal it...

-Christopher
I posted pics, lol, thought you knew that the hand throttle was just a cable.

The hatches on school buses are utter junk. I'm paneling over and installing powered roof vents. "Fantastic" vents.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #376
Bus Geek

IO knew the hand throttle ewas just a cable but IO thought it went to the throttle blade under the hood and not just the pedal in the cab... my fix is easy as the cable installed is just a bit rusty.. since the knob was pulled off the dash it hadnt been used on a while.. so little penetrating lubricant at each end and its actually moveable now...

do they make those vented hatches in the same size as the standard hatch? 14 x 14 I think mine is?

though I have A/C maybe I dont need a vent at all..

-Christopher
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #377
Bus Geek

Quote:
IO knew the hand throttle ewas just a cable but IO thought it went to the throttle blade under the hood and not just the pedal in the cab... my fix is easy as the cable installed is just a bit rusty.. since the knob was pulled off the dash it hadnt been used on a while.. so little penetrating lubricant at each end and its actually moveable now...

do they make those vented hatches in the same size as the standard hatch? 14 x 14 I think mine is?

though I have A/C maybe I dont need a vent at all..

-Christopher
Here in FL, I need the vents desperately. They're 14x14.
School bus hatches are like 22" inside and 26" outside, approximately. Not sure on the actual measurements but something close.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #378
Bus Geek

I've been calling and emailing around and haven't found ANYONE at all to do the front cap. Was hoping there'd be a willing sheet metal shop. Nah, all the ones around here simply sell roofing and call themselves "custom sheet metal" shops.
May have to actually get creative. Hoping Mudda Earth will post up a vid and save the day on this one!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #379
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Look for old school HVAC sheetmetal shops. Not residential.
Or PM me.
They 43-yr old company I worked for closed there door's at Christmas but I still have full access to all of there sheetmetal fab shop/weld shop and all as long as we can plan it and it usually don't cost me anything but the material.
It will cost you material and shipping or you can make a trip to n.c. and get exactly what you want by helping me help you and pay for the material and your away from home expense.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #380
Bus Geek

i worked in commercial HVAC in the 90s.. I didnt touch sheet metal but even then we were starting t oget away from custom fab and were using pre-made factory parts on installs..

there should be some shops around but so many parts now are made modular that companies build them less and less.. still a good thought though as a place to try though to get the piece made..

-Christopher