Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah it is but it isnt the end of the world to not have it. It was just another added bonus when buying this bus. The air ride and underside storage sealed the deal nicely. This bus was 2285$ out the door.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #62
Bus Geek

Took a pressure washer and cleaned up the underside a bit yesterday. Patched the holes in the roof temporarily with some steel cut from the removed ceiling panels.
The tarps I used on the roof took a real beating for a couple weeks.
I returned the tarps as they were garbage and had ripped to shreds. I used the holes from the emergency exit trim and the leftover hardware from removing it, and screwed down the temp panels on the corners.

Gotta start getting some real work done soon.
Waiting on funds to slowly catch up.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #63
Bus Geek

Currently working on getting the tarry black stuff off the ceilings.

Meanwhile, here is a vid I uploaded of us coming down Monteagle in Tn.
http://youtu.be/W5PZvtSvp9s

Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Meanwhile, here is a vid I uploaded of us coming down Monteagle in Tn.
Love all your mirrors. I need to get more for mine; I definitely felt like I wasn't getting the full picture of what's going on around me when I drove it home from TN.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #65
Bus Geek

I just realized you're in Ocala.
I grew up in the Lady Lake area and went to school in the Shores.

I just got around to actually measuring this beast and its darn near 40 feet. five or six inches shy iirc.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I just found your build thread.

Why the gluten free beer?

Forget about compressor driven air chisels and get a 4 pound hammer. You look young and strong, hard work is good for you.

Bring on that roof raise.

IMO lift the whole thing in one piece though. Lifting only parts of the roof compromises the strength of the entire roof. Hell, I had a section of floor drop when I cut the support rib that held it to the roof. The roof in one piece is stronger than the floor.

I know a few of our fellow skoolies have done it the other way. I'm just expressing my feelings based off expirence.

I will be watching.....

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #67
Bus Geek

I suffer from Celiac Sprue and have had a lot of medical problems till I went gluten free a few years ago.
Thank god for everyone else fad dieting as now there are LOTS of great products that are safe for me. I basically end up with AIDS-like symptoms from wheat, rye, or barley.
Im 35. Young and strong maybe but I'd rather let the tools take the brunt of the MANY hours of work such as demo. I tried the hammer and chisel and it really wasn't as effective. some were so corroded that they required mini surgery to extract. It took an inordinate amount of time even with the air chisel. Getting a good chisel bit was key.
I still can't decide on raising the roof. If I don't there is a chance I could be in Colorado by late summer which is really one important goal.
I may just go out there in my folks' rv and come finish the bus when the weather turns cold.
I don't really want to mess with raising the entire roof if I do. I'll just tack weld a good support system into place to make sure nothing moves. I can have "rib material" bent on a brake for me easily. I basically have an entire big, old school fab shop available. I just can't use the equipment since im not an employee. But I have lots of friends and some family who still work there.
Been stripping the tar off the underside of the roof for two and a half days so far with at least a few more to go. It really bites!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I'm 32 and have been off wheat, barley, rye, and oats for the last 17 or so years.

At 15 if I didn't stop, Death was not long ahead. I was dieing of starvation, as everything I ate went right though me. I was also bleeding to death from the inside out. I would sleep 20 hours a day, and almost didn't have enough strength to go to the bathroom. I learned all I could about nutrition, and turned my life around.

Now at 32 I'm stronger, more healthy, and feel better than anyone else I know my age.

I also don't eat refined sugar beet sugar. If I do I'm back on insulin the next day. As a plus to this I don't get sick, at all. It's been years since I have even had a cold.

Just last year I came across this video. It made perfect sense of everything. I wish I had found it years sooner.

Without our health, we have nothing.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:26 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Its rare to hear someone say that, nat!
I've had the bleeding from the inside out, multiple day surgeries for cysts and infections. Was dying of malnutrition and the Docs were convinced I had HIV/AIDS.
Most of my friends were pretty amazed at the improvement in my health.
My mental state is even much improved. I was a nervous wreck and honestly I don't know how I kept working for many of those years.
The little lady and I eat a fairly paleo diet these days. I've enven considered the Owsley Stanley diet!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Some pics of the rust and tar.
Attached Thumbnails
20150214_115624[1].jpg   20150214_115610[1].jpg   20150214_115557[1].jpg   20150214_115546[1].jpg   20150208_180225[1].jpg  

Old 02-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Engine: DT408
Bummer on the rust and tar. I've yet to take my ceiling down. Gonna do that prior to the raise though.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #72
Bus Geek

I'm getting through it. Its really not as bad as all the rivet removal.
Spent a few hours on it today.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Just a walk around. Trying out new CHEAP camera. Not very impressed but I got it for less than thirty bucks to use as a dash cam.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
I just realized you're in Ocala.
I grew up in the Lady Lake area and went to school in the Shores.

I just got around to actually measuring this beast and its darn near 40 feet. five or six inches shy iirc.
Huh. Small world, although I was born and raised in Miami. Moved to Ocala about four years ago when I was laid o— ... uh ... retired from AT&T.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Quote:
Just a walk around. Trying out new CHEAP camera. Not very impressed but I got it for less than thirty bucks to use as a dash cam.
Did you stabilize that video yourself or did you allow YouTube to "fix" it for you? If that is YouTube's idea of a solution, you should probably go into the Video Manager section of your channel and turn off the stability enhancements for that video.

For anyone that may be reading this, never use YouTube's enhancement tools. The stabilizing tool zooms the image so it can then move the oversized picture around while still keeping the edges out of the final frame. This screws with any titles or logos you've added and, depending on how shaky your footage is, the amount of zoom can make it nearly impossible to see what's going on.

If you use your own software (even most free tools can do this), you can pick which clips get stabilized and which ones are left alone. Also, any titles are added after the footage is stabilized, so they aren't pushed off screen by the process.

Of course, the best method is to capture stabile footage from the start. Attaching a cheap tripod to the camera and holding the whole rig loosely below the tripod head makes a world of difference in the quality of the footage, and this helps make video from expensive camcorders even better yet.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske View Post
Did you stabilize that video yourself or did you allow YouTube to "fix" it for you? If that is YouTube's idea of a solution, you should probably go into the Video Manager section of your channel and turn off the stability enhancements for that video.

For anyone that may be reading this, never use YouTube's enhancement tools. The stabilizing tool zooms the image so it can then move the oversized picture around while still keeping the edges out of the final frame. This screws with any titles or logos you've added and, depending on how shaky your footage is, the amount of zoom can make it nearly impossible to see what's going on.

If you use your own software (even most free tools can do this), you can pick which clips get stabilized and which ones are left alone. Also, any titles are added after the footage is stabilized, so they aren't pushed off screen by the process.

Of course, the best method is to capture stabile footage from the start. Attaching a cheap tripod to the camera and holding the whole rig loosely below the tripod head makes a world of difference in the quality of the footage, and this helps make video from expensive camcorders even better yet.
Yeah, that was me taking it out of the box it came in, clamping it to a framing hammer, and walking around the bus. I just wanted to try it out. I actually have a friend coming over to help me out with editing stuff in a couple days. I suck with that kind of stuff. ;)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Old 02-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #78
Bus Geek