Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #1121
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
That's a bad business model. Bad PR too. So, here's what I would do. I cured your cancer so that's my first trillion dollars. Week 2, I walk across the street to the chemical division and have them make a new cleaning fluid. Works better than the last. It doesn't give you cancer . It gives you cancer Y. Now I have a new cancer I need to make a cure for.

And name one pharm company that isn't in the chemical business.

I agree ... from the point of view of the rest of us, it's not a great model. It is, however, very profitable. They won't change of their own volition.

Meanwhile, I do wish Eddie all the very best.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #1122
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I agree ... from the point of view of the rest of us, it's not a great model. It is, however, very profitable. They won't change of their own volition.

Meanwhile, I do wish Eddie all the very best.
It would suck for the Eddies of the world but my model would be even more profitable.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #1123
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I'm no doctor; can't even play one on TV but that sounds a hell of a lot better than anything else I have EVER heard about chemo. Take the small victories where you can get them.

Doctors should stay out of Vegas since they are only slightly better at odds than the weatherman but have they said anything about long term effects, survival rate etc? If it's too much to think about or talk about ignore me.
He's going to this place now-
https://moffitt.org/

They've been taking EXTREMELY good care of him.
His problem/mistake was that he has company insurance through Tucker's Machine and Steel. This is where I worked 12 years. MANY of the employees have died of extremely aggressive cancer in the last 20 or 30 years. I was let go for being a whistleblower. They dump plasma exhaust into the shop's air and the employees are largely unaware of this, and also of its effects on their health.
His insurance sent him to a crappy Dr, as that's all that they cover unless you're wealthy. HMO's for the rest of us. They kept telling him it was a Hemorrhoid and he continued their suggested treatments. He wasn't given a referral to see anyone else, and long story short- while he was in pain and suffering the clueless Dr was actually exacerbating his condition. A year or two went by and when he went in for hemorrhoid removal (finally) the surgeon took one look at Ed and said that he didn't think it was a hemorrhoid, so he biopsied it and they found Ed had progressive anal, rectal cancer and it spread to his lymph nodes and liver.
He's called every lawyer in the area and they all say that its unfortunate but that due to the insurance company's immense power and the nature of ed's illness that its unlikely he's going to have any legal/civil recourse.
So basically he's going to live with the chemo port the rest of his days and now its not a question of if he's going to make it, its just a matter of trying to make him as comfortable as possible.
I hate that it has to be Eddie. He's one of the most amazing, special human beings I've ever met.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #1124
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry for you ECCB.
I helped deal with my dad and my old boss who had seperate issues but the eye opener for both were changing from family doctors to another.
My old boss survived cancer treatments and lived another 30-years and he was getting up there but was going crazy. Changed docs that changed his meds and at 75 he was back to being himself.
My dad fought diabetes for at least 10-yrs and his doctors never could get his meds right and I told him about what was going in with my boss man and they switched doctors . Come to find out he never had diabetes? He had a tumor at the base of his brain but now removed his body is addicted to the F'ING diabetic medicine so he is a diabetic whether he needs or not?his body needs the shot?
That was 3-years ago and still working on that.
My dad retired as a TEXAS FIREFIGHTER for 40 plus years and is just now finding proper treatment?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #1125
Bus Geek

We've totally allowed insurance companies and the gov't RUIN what was already a dismal medical system.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #1126
Bus Geek

The medical "system" such that it is isn't all to blame. Maybe it's my distrust of doctors. Or maybe just A type personality.

Regardless, I know me better than any and every doctor. Had a pinched nerve in my neck that presented as a numbing in the hand. Felt like when you lay on your arm and it falls asleep. My pinkie would get so numb I could bite it and not feel it. Went to the doc thru GBMC (Greater Balto Medical Center); the hospital that the ex works for. Free (to me) insurance at the time if I used a GBMC doc. She messes around a little, has me make a fist, squeeze her fingers, etc. Carpal Tunnel is the verdict. Thx, you went to school for 8 yrs to tell me that? Carpal Tunnel, if you don't know, numbs from the thumb towards the pinkie. I told her mine was numbing from the pinkie towards the thumb. Also mentioned a pain in the shoulder blade. I think I waited a week, maybe two before rescheduling. Don't want to leave early twice in the same pay period. Went and saw a chiropractor that had a groupon going. Apparently GBMC doesn't have ANY chiros associated with them. Profit margin not big enough? He took one look at me and told me to ignore the shoulder blade; it was my neck. It just presented in the should blade and hand. Took an in-office x-ray on a camera that looked as old as I am. Sure enough the spacing in the vertebrae aren't equal. Even me the crappy TV doctor could see that wasn't right. Few months of stretching me out on the rack, cracking bones, and simple swiveling my head while in the shower and it's much better.

Moral of the story and Eddie's and boss man's too is don't fall for a line of $hit if you know it isn't right. We'll try it your way for awhile but if **** doesn't get better, you can either figure something else out or I'll find someone who can.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #1127
Bus Geek

At least here, you CAN'T go to a Dr who's not on your ins. Even if you try to pay out of pocket. You're not allowed.
Tuckers is killing its employees. Does the epa or osha give a crap? hell no. I've called and emailed them. They don't care one bit. Eddie's boss is a slave driver and I don't see them changing anything any time soon.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #1128
Bus Geek

THIS is what I got fired for talking about at a company meeting-

Dangers of Plasma Cutting Smoke |Imperial Systems, Inc.

http://www.shopfloorlasers.com/safety/362-harmful-haze
Quote:
When plasma and laser cutting fumes aren’t properly removed from the air, measureable amounts of metals, such as hexavalent chromium, can build up in the bloodstream of those who are regularly exposed.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #1129
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
At least here, you CAN'T go to a Dr who's not on your ins. Even if you try to pay out of pocket. You're not allowed.
Tuckers is killing its employees. Does the epa or osha give a crap? hell no. I've called and emailed them. They don't care one bit. Eddie's boss is a slave driver and I don't see them changing anything any time soon.
My insurance now sucks. Deducible has to be met ($1500) and then they pay 80%. It would be far cheaper not to have insurance. Oh wait, thanks Obama. The insurance I had when I was in FL ('92-'99) was THE best. A single copay covered you for everything from that diagnosis. Oh you're pregnant, that'll be $20. All the ultrasounds, prenatal vitamins, hospital, etc. were covered for that single $20 copay.

My insurance in the '00s was a copay per visit but still everything was covered. Good thing Obama fixed it for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #1130
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
As I go through my own health problems. This is a good medication that works for me.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #1131
Bus Geek

Compressor broke today. I can fix it, but at the moment I either need to borrow a compressor or use screws on the lower edge of the transition sheet steel.

A couple screws would hold it enough for the buyer to get it home and rivet it. I'm running out of time here.
called all around looking for what deals could be had on 296/75R22.5's and best I could find was 150 used plus 50 install, or 300 for new.
You guys all know how I am about tires. I cringe at dry rot and cracking in the many bus tires I've seen. But this thing's two right rears are scary looking and don't need to be on there going down busy public roads.
None of the tire shops here are open sunday when he'll be here to get the bus, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.
I'm tapped out and these tire guys want cash not credit.

I hate stress and deadlines lol.
One way or another, we'll do what we can.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #1132
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
THIS is what I got fired for talking about at a company meeting-

Dangers of Plasma Cutting Smoke |Imperial Systems, Inc.

Harmful haze
That's a law suit in its own right there!!!
Don't have it in front of me right this minute but I can/will give you a direct phone number and names to some that care with FED OSHA and have No problems busting balls.
Only problem? with that direction is once they show up and find that problem then all the workers are sent home and out of work until the company adds an approved engineered exhaust system and accepted by the FED OSHA inspectors including the amount of air being moved and how many air changes per hour but that's probably not the only thing they will find and those will have to be fixed as well including them providing proper PPE at the companies expense including gloves,glasses,mask,sleeves for working around a plasma machine or a full enclosure around the machines with a dedicated lockout for each machine outside of the enclosure?before they can open there doors again.
I know and am all safety first because all I know is GOVT construction/destruction a lot is overboard but most is directly onboard for people protection.
During the shutdown of the plant while the manpower is not working they will also want to interview each and everyone individually at there convenience not yours?
Just trying to give you the goods and the bads of making the call.
I have met my FED OSHA inspectors quite a few times? So they are on speed dial for me as far as trying to work out my men's welding,body harness,air circulation in a specific welder's given predicament (flux coated stick welding rod smoke) is now considered to be BAD? Problems?
So any type of physical,manual,electronic cutting or welding equipment in a shop or in the Field will be ventilated to the airflow CFM as stated by FED OSHA.
Sorry I went on a rant but this one pissed me off.
I can give you phone numbers and I see my FED OSHA inspectors at least 3-times a month and they go out of there way to find something wrong with each trade even if you just moved into the room they will cite you for such and such contractor had a PLASTIC water bottle in the room that expired 3-weeks ago.
THERE OWNER IS TO PROVIDE THEM WITH CLEAN AND FRESH WATER DAILY!
100'000 dollar fine if we find this again!! Within such and such contractor
Sorry that one has been eating me up? My men were in the room but they don't use water bottles because there trucks are just outside with freshwater in a 5-gallon water cooler with the lid taped to seal and signed and dated every morning with disposable paper cups and a way to dispose the cups properly per the base orders we work on.
Didn't talk to any of my men but my men didn't throw a trash water bottle away when they walked into the room and a few more BS things that are in my head.
I would be more than happy to send some new real PITA ones your way if you want. Once again rant over

Sorry
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #1133
Bus Geek

I've reported to all the agencies, but nothing ever came of it.
When osha comes in for air quality testing, they simply don't weld or run any equipment.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #1134
Bus Geek

Heading out once I'm done with my bacon and grits. Going to either buy or borrow a compressor and get this thing ready to go.
I'm going to put maybe four rivets on each side. That'll cinch in down enough.
Then some seam sealer around the edges and some primer.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #1135
Bus Geek

Went ahead and stuck 10 rivets per side, then sealed the edges with fiberglass filler.
Got everything all ready now pretty much.
Picking up Keith, the new owner, tonight at the airport and tomorrow we'll take him out to his new bus. Looks like he's going to stick around till monday and to to the tag office for a temporary tag.
If anyone wants to come meet him, he sure seems like a nice fellow.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #1136
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
super cool you got the bus ready for him!!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #1137
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
super cool you got the bus ready for him!!!!
-Christopher
It was stuff I'd been meaning to do whether I sold it or not, and I had the materials and such.
I'm really starting to enjoy bus work. Getting into it more and more every day.

Sipping on a venti of hot starbucks right now, killing a few hours till Keith's flight arrives. LATE night airport pickup- how's that for service?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #1138
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
It was stuff I'd been meaning to do whether I sold it or not, and I had the materials and such.
I'm really starting to enjoy bus work. Getting into it more and more every day.

Sipping on a venti of hot starbucks right now, killing a few hours till Keith's flight arrives. LATE night airport pickup- how's that for service?
Maybe you should be the one offering conversion services.

You have the skills, and the trust of the community.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #1139
Bus Geek

I'm offering any services to whoever. So far I've done mostly free work for friends.
I'm definitely down to do demo work, MAYBE a roof raise or two, painting, and that kind of stuff. I think the best thing is getting buses ready to convert. Selling them as a "roll your own" sort of thing.
I'm planning on maybe buying a 30-40 footer in spring and doing a "gut and paint" on it and selling it.

With the "big shots" out west trying to charge ten grand for roof raises and forty grand for basic conversions, and dealers charging twenty grand for buses here it certainly wouldn't be hard to undercut EVERYONE'S prices and still make good money!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #1140
Bus Geek

Picked up Keith at the airport last night and he's a VERY nice guy. Making coffee then we're off to the bus!