Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #141
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Got each axle and the overall. The guy wasn't very helpful and I literally spent two hours there.
With half a tank of fuel and a friend and I in the bus we came in at 17,920 lbs. No way to do corners there. I got EVERYTHING out of the bus this morning before weigh in. I figured it may help. What a horrible truck stop we have in Zellwood. That place is the pits.
I'd upload a pic or two but someone has stolen my tablet and camera. I think they were yanked right out of my car sometime last week.

Driving it was nice. Did about twenty miles roundtrip. Cruised along at 60 for the last 5 miles or so. After driving around in a 73' F750 former fire truck for a couple weeks, my bus gets amazing fuel mileage.

Now all I have to do is get an officer to verify the vin and I'll get my tag.
Its in the system as an International Navistar 3900. She asked me what to put for the make and model. Anything sounds better than "school bus". I'm so happy to be getting some actual progress. I'm lining the when and where of the roof raise and may actually have some money to put into it in the next month.
Getting my tax, tag, and title and paying for the year for my insurance have been very expensive.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #142
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Very cool to see you're able to get out and finally drive. It feels so nice doesn't it?!?

I weighed mine also empty right before I started the raise. Mine came in at 16,160 lbs. I'm very curious to weigh again when the outer skins are in place and the insulation is complete. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too much over 16,160. Basically I've just removed the inner skins only to replace them with "like" sheetmetal on the outside again. Plus, all the original windows have been removed.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Good to hear you got it registered. I paid about $835 to get mine registered with a new tag here in Marion County and I had to pay something like $180 to renew the decal after the first year, but the rates have dropped since then—now it's about $70 per year.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #144
Bus Geek

Oh yeah I'm out way cheaper than that. Less than half as much.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #145
Bus Geek

I applied for custom tags today, fingers are crossed thanks for heads up!

So next is to raise roof?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #146
Bus Geek

Yep.

Scored a set a captains chairs from the free section on Craigslist today too. They're nice other than they have been sitting in a barn for ten or twenty years unused.
I was gonna get the custom plate "skoolie" but I'm not feeling it anymore.
May just put the extra 60 bucks it would cost toward getting some more gallon buckets of Rustoleum.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #147
Bus Geek

Do you have true values down there? They have stupid crazy sales every holiday (at least once every 2 months) we got our for 1/2 price, the sale was "1/2 off on any gallon size of paint" and since all true value stores are owner/franchises they will almost always match and beat a competitive price

They also tinted ours, be aware some of ours might not be dry still
Old 03-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #148
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yep.

Scored a set a captains chairs from the free section on Craigslist today too. They're nice other than they have been sitting in a barn for ten or twenty years unused.
I was gonna get the custom plate "skoolie" but I'm not feeling it anymore.
May just put the extra 60 bucks it would cost toward getting some more gallon buckets of Rustoleum.
I know that Menards does custom color mixing on Rustoleum.... There is a bright green bus on here somewhere that had it done to get his dayglow green done. Do you have a place near you that does that? When we were trying to pick bus colors we were very unhappy with the limited stock Rustoleum colors. Really was tempted to drive up to Kansas (from Dallas) to the nearest Menards to get a color we liked.

Here's a link to the discussion:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/th...ne-5990-3.html

Maybe a quicky paint job now, and then pick-up a more individual color on your way through Menards territory?
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #149
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
So glad to hear you're well on your way to getting everything legal beagle. The DMV here made my "motorhome" title for a 1995 Genesis/Genesis (make/model). I tried to tell them it was an International Amtrans (make) Genesis (model) but for some reason they just couldn't get their head around that. I think they got confused on the International AmTrans as the make. Weird. Almost every time I go there I wonder if they really know what they're doing or they just make stuff up along the way. Personally, I think he whole need for a title thing is bogus anyhow, as is the "requirement" for a non-commercial drivers license (an oxymoron but most wouldn't know) but that's another story. Also, thank for telling me what mine weighs now . I have the same bus only a couple years newer.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #150
Bus Geek

I haven't been on here nearly as much these days, and havent updated in a while.
I went to the tag/tax office and got the title and paperwork taken care of. I didn't go the custom route, but I have regular, non-commercial tags.
My gross after the weigh-in is 17.9k. No cdl needed at all now. Even if I didn't convert it.
Total cost was about $350.

Getting the materials together for the roof raise in the next month. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and spring for a Hobart welder. The 140 is only about 500 at Rural King. They were out so in a couple weeks I'm gonna go back and get one.

Started grinding off the crud under the roof again. Took a lengthy break from it. I get really REALLY bad headaches on occasion and this doesn't help with them.

I'm also starting to reconsider retaining the bifold bus door. I'm now thinking I'd rather have a regular door there and just put windows in it. Would be much better for sealing out the hot/cold. I just don't want to hamper my vision much if any.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #151
Bus Geek

Do you have an Airgas or other welding supply company handy?

They can actually get decent pricing, especially on floor models about once a year
Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #152
Bus Geek

I do. I'll look into that option.
I may even be able to get a business discount/price since I have family working at a large local shop that buys a lot of equipment. I may be able to get one for their cost. I *may* even be able to afford a Miller in that case. But I definitely can't spend a ton of money.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
You might also want to check out the Tweco 141i it has a lot of bang for the buck.
Does weld, mig, and tig all on one machine.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #154
Bus Geek

My 140 Lincoln has been a great welder, I bought it years ago

hooolllyyyy wow!! quick search...priced $200 more now!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #155
Bus Geek

used to use a ton of tweco parts running a dept full of robotic welders.
That 141i does look like a pretty nice deal.
I think I'd rather get the Hobart 180 for that kind of money though as I don't need tig or stick capability.
Maybe I can find a deal on a used unit...
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #156
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
My 140 Lincoln has been a great welder, I bought it years ago

hooolllyyyy wow!! quick search...priced $200 more now!
RK also has the Lincoln 140. Almost left with one but thought I could do better for the price.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #157
Bus Geek

I personally would go Lincoln or Miller only because I have used both brands and not had a problem

I tried a buddies Esab (s/p) and it was garbage, wire speed control and power output were spotty and not consistent (it acted like it would over heat after 6 inches of weld, and start to spit and such)
he took it back and traded it and the next one did the same

at least the Lincoln and Miller have parts available about anywhere
Old 04-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #158
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Just for the record --- I'll endorse Miller too. I have two of their 140 amp models, one of which is dual voltage. Quarter turn swaps plug ends and you have both ranges. I've welded 26 ga. stucco lath onto steel beams at one end and laid down deeply penetrated beads on 8", schedule 40 pipe with the dual voltage without a hiccup. Really sweet sizzle and does the work of most 180's.

You can save a few bucks by going with a Hobart. Hobart is simply Miller's budget product line. Good machines but without some of the bells, whistles and such. Some plastic used instead of steel here and there, but unless you are gonna' be doing production work day in and day out, fine for building several buses as well as many other backyard chores and light years ahead of the Chinese crap from Harbor Fright.

NOTE: attempting to weld really crappy WWII scrap body steel is a whole nuther matter. No welder made can compensate for the high levels of impurities in that @#!$%# stuff.

Ask me how I know.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #159
Bus Geek

Yeah that's why I was leaning more toward the Hobart- I'm a fan of Miller machines.
I think one of the 140's will be plenty of machine for what I'll be doing.
THANKS a lot for the feedback!!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #160
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Go bigger on the welder. You will be glad you did.

Small under size welders suck. I made that mistake once.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote