Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #361
Bus Nut

What did you use to remove the tar?

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #362
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The hero of the day- a FREE can of penetrating lube.
My normal brand is the venerable PB Blaster, but this stuff did the trick once it had time to get worked in. Will clean everything up and lube the cables and everything up properly, I just needed to find out what/where the problem was.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #363
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
What did you use to remove the tar?
Its all in the thread, somehwere, but I used lots of manpower at first, then got wise and used aircraft stripper. Then took a wire wheel drill attachment and cleaned em all up for the primer.
Was a LOT of work, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Note to anyone following along or thinking about using stripper-
DO NOT use Rustoleum brand stripper. Its utter BS! Doesn't work worth a flup.

Use this stuff-This stuff is AWESOME, but you do need to be careful as its dangerous to get it on you or breathe the fumes. Its easy to neutralize and to work with, though.
I normally love rustoleum products as you all probably are well aware, but their stripper product isn't worth a DAMN.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #364
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Nice to see your progress. Can't wait until you actually start your build out!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #365
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
The ceiling looks CLEAN!

I hope i never have to do anything more that change fluids on my monster...
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #366
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Nice to see your progress. Can't wait until you actually start your build out!

-Doc
Thanks man, honestly I kinda need a bit of encouragement sometimes. Even a tiny bit can go a long ways.

I've been stockpiling all the things I need. Got everything free or on sale cheap but no junk. Appliances mostly all free from an impounded RV, really rad bathroom sink, lots of plywood and lumber, lots of steel, tools... I've been accumulating this stuff for a couple years.
I've gotten a few comments before on how "long" my build is taking, but I'm doing it the hard way and I'm in no rush. I've had the bus for something like 18 months. Once the roof is raised, I'm going to focus on the bodywork and some mechanical stuff. Then the interior build out will commence!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #367
Bus Geek

If anyone in FL knows (or IS) a good diesel mechanic, I'd love to get some help when that time comes!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #368
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That is a very nice looking job on the roof.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #369
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I know how you feel on the stockpiling. My dad told me to hurry up with my floor and raise so he can have his shop back. I have all of my electrical, plumbing, bed mattress (12" queen memory foam on sale), paint, insulation, tanks, etc etc. Just need to take a month off of work and get a serious booty moovin' to get it so I can start my install. I'll have the new metal in place by the end of July. It's hard to work 40 hours in 4 days then drive 7 hours only to get 1 day of work done on it!

Keep going bruh! It's coming along!!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #370
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That is a very nice looking job on the roof.
Thanks, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
I know how you feel on the stockpiling. My dad told me to hurry up with my floor and raise so he can have his shop back. I have all of my electrical, plumbing, bed mattress (12" queen memory foam on sale), paint, insulation, tanks, etc etc. Just need to take a month off of work and get a serious booty moovin' to get it so I can start my install. I'll have the new metal in place by the end of July. It's hard to work 40 hours in 4 days then drive 7 hours only to get 1 day of work done on it!

Keep going bruh! It's coming along!!
Thanks, dude. Your situation sounds rough! Hell, I get irritated that I have to keep my bus 20 mins from my place!

I'm getting the ball rolling on getting everything together now to get this roof raise done. I've sent inquiry emails to some shops to get an idea of what I'm gonna have to pay to get a nice cap made for the front where the transition will be. Pretty much like Aaron's. Still debating but may put one in the rear too. Will think about that and wait to see what the estimates will be.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #371
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your ceiling looks great!!!

my hand throttle is messed up too.. must be a DT thing... I havent even yet found the cable under the hood.. theres a reason the knob was missing off the dash.. likely cable frozen up and someone yanked the knob..

I found 2 exhaust bolts missing completely on mine.. maybe check to make sure yours are tight.. I know these DT's vibrate everything thats not bolted down and some things that are!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #372
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
your ceiling looks great!!!

my hand throttle is messed up too.. must be a DT thing... I havent even yet found the cable under the hood.. theres a reason the knob was missing off the dash.. likely cable frozen up and someone yanked the knob..

I found 2 exhaust bolts missing completely on mine.. maybe check to make sure yours are tight.. I know these DT's vibrate everything thats not bolted down and some things that are!!

-Christopher
Mines not too bad in terms of vibration.
Yeah, I think these hand throttles are probably a known PITA. I've wondered what would be involved with getting an ACTUAL hand throttle setup. Could be pretty nice, IDK. I've no experience with them, but I know there are ways to do it. I've seen RV's setup for a paraplegic. Just something I've thought about, I doubt I'll ever do that or anything.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #373
Bus Geek

Gonna put in an order for some 3/16" and 1/4" closed end rivets this week and start out using them to rivet on some panels over the holes left from the roof hatches, vent, and strobe.

Can't wait to try out the HF riveter.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #374
Bus Geek

i finballty found my hand throttle... I searched for over an hour under the hood.. then finally grabbed the book and its just a cable going right to the pedal... how easy is that...

are you just metaling over your roof hatch? or putting an A/C in the spot? I have one hatch and it leaks .. trying to figure out what to do with it.. if i should just change it or try to seal it...

-Christopher
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #375
Bus Geek

Quote:
i finballty found my hand throttle... I searched for over an hour under the hood.. then finally grabbed the book and its just a cable going right to the pedal... how easy is that...

are you just metaling over your roof hatch? or putting an A/C in the spot? I have one hatch and it leaks .. trying to figure out what to do with it.. if i should just change it or try to seal it...

-Christopher
I posted pics, lol, thought you knew that the hand throttle was just a cable.

The hatches on school buses are utter junk. I'm paneling over and installing powered roof vents. "Fantastic" vents.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #376
Bus Geek

IO knew the hand throttle ewas just a cable but IO thought it went to the throttle blade under the hood and not just the pedal in the cab... my fix is easy as the cable installed is just a bit rusty.. since the knob was pulled off the dash it hadnt been used on a while.. so little penetrating lubricant at each end and its actually moveable now...

do they make those vented hatches in the same size as the standard hatch? 14 x 14 I think mine is?

though I have A/C maybe I dont need a vent at all..

-Christopher
Old 05-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #377
Bus Geek

Quote:
IO knew the hand throttle ewas just a cable but IO thought it went to the throttle blade under the hood and not just the pedal in the cab... my fix is easy as the cable installed is just a bit rusty.. since the knob was pulled off the dash it hadnt been used on a while.. so little penetrating lubricant at each end and its actually moveable now...

do they make those vented hatches in the same size as the standard hatch? 14 x 14 I think mine is?

though I have A/C maybe I dont need a vent at all..

-Christopher
Here in FL, I need the vents desperately. They're 14x14.
School bus hatches are like 22" inside and 26" outside, approximately. Not sure on the actual measurements but something close.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #378
Bus Geek

I've been calling and emailing around and haven't found ANYONE at all to do the front cap. Was hoping there'd be a willing sheet metal shop. Nah, all the ones around here simply sell roofing and call themselves "custom sheet metal" shops.
May have to actually get creative. Hoping Mudda Earth will post up a vid and save the day on this one!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:13 PM   #379
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Look for old school HVAC sheetmetal shops. Not residential.
Or PM me.
They 43-yr old company I worked for closed there door's at Christmas but I still have full access to all of there sheetmetal fab shop/weld shop and all as long as we can plan it and it usually don't cost me anything but the material.
It will cost you material and shipping or you can make a trip to n.c. and get exactly what you want by helping me help you and pay for the material and your away from home expense.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #380
Bus Geek

i worked in commercial HVAC in the 90s.. I didnt touch sheet metal but even then we were starting t oget away from custom fab and were using pre-made factory parts on installs..

there should be some shops around but so many parts now are made modular that companies build them less and less.. still a good thought though as a place to try though to get the piece made..

-Christopher