Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #441
Skoolie

Yea I'm car usually says 106* but that's downtown surrounded by concrete and glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #442
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Heat will break soon....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #443
Bus Crazy

But, I'm enjoying life tonight....

Old 07-29-2016, 11:10 PM   #444
Skoolie

It's 11 o'clock here and 91*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #445
Bus Crazy

Heat will break soon....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #446
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm really starting to get more used to the heat now that I've done a week of construction in the sun. The first day or two were the worst for sure.
I'm starting to rethink my whole bus project.
Seems to me we won't really ever be FULL timing it, as we have jobs in the area and own a home. I'm going to think about it for a day two but I'm starting to really want to USE this bus a lot. I may actually forego the roof raise and spray foam and do a much quicker, simpler conversion for weekends and weeks at a time use. Plus we have like 8 or 9 cats and a dog. I don't like keeping them cramped up in cages, either. I could be 75-90% done with the thing this year if I refocus my efforts and get a good plan together. If I don't raise the roof, I'm definitely going to do a collapsible deck up top.
I'm not at all intimidated by the raise, I just don't know if I REALLY need it for what I'm using the bus for. Sometimes its good to rethink things. IDk. Sorta "thinking out loud" a bit here. What yall think?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #447
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm really starting to get more used to the heat now that I've done a week of construction in the sun. The first day or two were the worst for sure.
I'm starting to rethink my whole bus project.
Seems to me we won't really ever be FULL timing it, as we have jobs in the area and own a home. I'm going to think about it for a day two but I'm starting to really want to USE this bus a lot. I may actually forego the roof raise and spray foam and do a much quicker, simpler conversion for weekends and weeks at a time use. Plus we have like 8 or 9 cats and a dog. I don't like keeping them cramped up in cages, either. I could be 75-90% done with the thing this year if I refocus my efforts and get a good plan together. If I don't raise the roof, I'm definitely going to do a collapsible deck up top.
I'm not at all intimidated by the raise, I just don't know if I REALLY need it for what I'm using the bus for. Sometimes its good to rethink things. IDk. Sorta "thinking out loud" a bit here. What yall think?
I think you should build your bus to make you and the misses happy. Unless you plan on selling it, build it to fit your needs, not what others want or think.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #448
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
I think you should build your bus to make you and the misses happy. Unless you plan on selling it, build it to fit your needs, not what others want or think.
+1, because you never know what tomorrow brings... And coulda shoulda woulda will chew you up and spit you out, and move on to the next person!

In my 5 year plan, the bus purchase was my 3rd step... I was going to gut, strip and re-insulate my bus.... In my 1 month plan, I'm forced to make it "livable" in a short amount of time. But, I'm rolling with it.

When I get discouraged... I pull up the cell phone screen shot from the ex-wife threatening to make me homeless. It's all I need to keep my spirits up, and keep pushing forward.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #449
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I work in steam rooms, on an oxy/acety. Torch and or turning wrenches every day and have been 7-day a week since 6-1 until today.drink a lot of water and the sports stuff every now and then. Usually at night that way it has a chance
Wear a long sleeve cause once it gets soaked it will keep you cooler.
With a breeze it is like AC or a fan if there is none.
I work in a 150 + degree rooms for a living and winter it is great you beg for one and in the summer for me my body is conditioned for it I get sick going home and sleeping in the AC and wake up with head cold most mornings.
Drink water and Gatorade/powerade does help but you don't need to wait until you need it.
Trust me I know
I love my beer every night even knowing what I am doing the next day but once again my body is conditioned for it.
I was born and raised in the Texas cattle/hay fields before the marine corps. Got ahold of me?
Drink water and the flavored stuff only works if you give time to do it.
Long sleeve shirts and change your socks everyday at lunch time.
Make you feel refreshed every time.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #450
Almost There

Quote:
Happy turkey day to all!
I'm finally making good progress with the rivets and panel removal. My Ward/AmTran is spot welded all along the top edge of the galvanized side panels. I'm now a PRO at removing rivets, the grinder isn't even used anymore.
I quit taking pics and just worked till dark thirty again yesterday. Today is my first day off, although technically I went out to the bus this morning and put up all my tools and checked on things.

I know this is a old post but can you share your method for remove rivets since we have the same bus? I am about to tackle. I removed the easy side panels and insolation looks ok, but I think I'm going to replace it anyway
bread519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #451
Bus Geek

Yeah man get that funk crap out of there!
First drive out the mandrel in the center of the rivet. Use an air chisel with a pointy bit.
Have a hammer and punch on standby for the stubborn ones.
Then shear off the heads of the rivets with a good, sharp air chisel bit. Once you get the hang of it you'll be popping em off fairly quickly.
Mine were oxidized and very stubborn.
Nice to see another genesis FE on here. Great platform. Did you get air ride?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #452
Almost There

Quote:
Yeah man get that funk crap out of there!
First drive out the mandrel in the center of the rivet. Use an air chisel with a pointy bit.
Have a hammer and punch on standby for the stubborn ones.
Then shear off the heads of the rivets with a good, sharp air chisel bit. Once you get the hang of it you'll be popping em off fairly quickly.
Mine were oxidized and very stubborn.
Nice to see another genesis FE on here. Great platform. Did you get air ride?

Thanks man. Looks like I'll be investing into a air compressor.

And yessir! Air ride, Klam retarder, 5 storage bins. I'm stoked. Wish I had 4.10 gearing instead of 4.78, but that's literally my only complaint. I'm loving this rig
Old 08-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #453
Skoolie

Quote:
Yesterday was my first day. An hour in the sun and I was overheated and puked my guts out. Was tough, but today was better. Still, this heat is crazy.
I picked a horrible summer to start a construction job for sure, but I need the money. I've also picked up a couple yards to mow.
You gotta keep the inner ECCB hydrated, man! I drank gallons of water and gator aid yesterday ... and still ended up with a dull headache, joint & muscle aches. I did a lot better today but I put a fan in the bus.

Work? Summer or winter ... you got to make it when you find it.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #454
Bus Geek

Had a nice day today. Staying hydrated is key.
Got home around 4 so I took the time to put the new badass clutch I built in my green moped, and rejetted the carb and replaced the plug on my silver one.

Bread- sounds like an amazing bus. I've got no retarder but I'm all the way down in FL so I have less need for one. Still planning to add one one day if I ever have to replace the transmission. The air ride in these buses is nice! Rides like a big minivan. I've got 4.44 gears, so I'm pretty happy there.
I need to play with the governor and pump, and maybe upgrade my turbo. I'm doing 63 with the pedal to the metal.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #455
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I went through the same thing... i had originally planned on totally rebuilding my interior.. but then really wanted to start using my bus.. and really maybe i shouldve torn out the whole inside and insulated and all that jazz.. but really im having a LOT of FUN!!! travelling around in my bus!! so maybe I'll get another one that I can fully gut and rebuild?

or maybe I'll just say why do I need to do what everyone on the dog gone forum says I MUST do??

and I'll just keep DRIVING my bus EVERYWHERE!.. (3500 miles in the 2.5 months ive had it).. im sure I'll probably wear it out or blow it up at some point and then I can take time to gut it? lol

my own PERSONAL opinion is that you do what will make you smile.. if thats put the bus back together and hit the road then i say do it!.. if thats make a home out of it and it lengthens time before you drive it then so be it..

I know what i would do (and did) but im just another one of those on the forum .. so do what YOU and the wife FEEL!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #456
Almost There

Quote:
Had a nice day today. Staying hydrated is key.
Got home around 4 so I took the time to put the new badass clutch I built in my green moped, and rejetted the carb and replaced the plug on my silver one.

Bread- sounds like an amazing bus. I've got no retarder but I'm all the way down in FL so I have less need for one. Still planning to add one one day if I ever have to replace the transmission. The air ride in these buses is nice! Rides like a big minivan. I've got 4.44 gears, so I'm pretty happy there.
I need to play with the governor and pump, and maybe upgrade my turbo. I'm doing 63 with the pedal to the metal.

What RPM are you at 63? My pedal to the metal is 65 at 2600 RPM which is higher than id like to be, but I guess not too much for the higher revving dt466 according to my research.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #457
Bus Geek

Mine does have some rpm's left I think. I got mine to wind out at 2500, won't go any higher.
I think the gov and pump need some love!

I think I'm going to go with 11R's when I replace these tires. That should maybe give me an extra mph. Maybe.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #458
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I gained 2 - 3 when I went to 11R's from 10R's, my DT360 will wind to 2900 under no load full throttle and 2700 under loaded conditions..

I thought you could run a DT466 is high as 2600 loaded and 2800 unloaded..

my service manual talks about adjusting the max RPM both loaded and unloaded...
they are supposed to be 200 apart..

the DT360 theoretically can be run at 3200 RPM but 2700 is the max for the most longevity according to the book.. im guessing theres a table somewhere for the DT466 in what its max RPM for long life is vs the max safe RPM for just ability to run..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #459
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Most diesel engines are happiest (mpg & lifespan) at or near their peak torque number. NOT the max HP RPM.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #460
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
CB, that's what we decided. We wanted to use our bus and not be stuck doing constant projects. We took it up to Montana for our summer jobs and we try to take it out at least every other weekend for a camping/getaway. We absolutely love it! Obviously, you need to do what you think is best for *you*, but I'm soooo glad we went the route we did...
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote