Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
Re: Rolling Motel Room

Thanks, Sherm.
I bought that stool out where you started your bussin' adventure - Barstow WalMart. Glad to see you've had pretty smooth sailin' so far.

Tom
Old 11-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

I just want to add my compliments on the bus. I really like how open everything is. And I am really enjoying your tips, you really have an ingenious way of looking at things that I can relate to.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your quick response and all the photos on the ice chest!!! Your info was very helpful, and we're seriously thinking about the ice chest idea instead of a Frig. BTW, we noticed you have a FRig as well? Does the ice box not satisfy all your Refrigeration needs? And we are amazed at how virtually everything in your bus does "double duty". GREAT idea!!! And the only wall you have is your bathroom, I think that really opens up your space. We only have a 42 pass. bus, so space is really limited. And the bathroom sink--of course!!! We're thinking of only 1 sink as well, but in the galley--we can brush our teeth and wash our faces in the galley sink. Just LOVE your ideas on space saving, keep 'em coming!!!! Thanks, Tom!
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42

Oh sorry! went back and reread your earlier posts on the Frig, and you did mention you only used it for eggs, and dairy. Do you think it would be feasible to just have an icebox for all your refrigeration needs??
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
Skoolie

Very interesting!. I have been planning my own for like a year, with partitions and all, but I like more your "open" approach, so I guess I will head back to the drawing board and see what I will came up with
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
wtd
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage
Oh sorry! went back and reread your earlier posts on the Frig, and you did mention you only used it for eggs, and dairy. Do you think it would be feasible to just have an icebox for all your refrigeration needs??
Sorry, might have been a little confusing there - I only use the icebox for refrigeration - I started out with the frig and after I built the icebox the frig was too good to throw away, so I just use it as a cabinet.

Probably if I was starting with no sinks, I'd put a kitchen sink in the bathroom. By the time I decided on just one sink I already had the bathroom done, so just left it as it was as I had other things to do rather than take out the bathroom sink and install the kitchen sink in it's place.
If I were to do it again I'd probably still put a single sink in the bathroom for a coupla reasons - I'd still want a cabinet in there for towels, paper, cleaning stuff, and other junk normally found there. Also, for the uber hygienic if the sink's in the kitchen, leaving the room to wash your hands after you go may pose a problem (touching things, doorknob to get out, etc.) Not something I'd lose sleep over, but some might, to each own. My water heater is under the left side of the cabinet that's there - I'd have to move that, which just adds complexity - more plumbing, etc. with little benefit. If the cabinet's there and the sink's not, then I just have a piece of counter area that would see little, if any, use. I just find that the extra counter space is a greater benefit in the kitchen than the bath, but - that's just me .

Sorry I overlooked your replies here and thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #17
wtd
Bus Nut

Just a heater shot -

I've got a Big Buddy heater and Buddy heater, smaller version of the big one..When the big one went kerflotz (be sure to use a filter if you're using propane from the big tank - took 5 years but I found out why ) I just switched over to the little one and took a look at the two.
The only real difference was the higher heat setting of the big one, which I never use and the fan 'feature'. Well, I never really cared for the fan anyways, if worked good to move the warm air sround, but it used 6 D cells that last a night or two - gets expensive - or an AC adapter, which meant I had to run the inverter all night just for that. Didn't care for that option much either. i had a couple of 12 volt computer fans mounted to the shelf about 10" from the ceiling that moves the warm air around fine, used less juice and ran off the normal battery bank.
I took the fans down when I was painting and rather than put them back up I decided to see if they'd work mounted on the little heater, just like the fan on the big heater. So I lashed 3 of them together with a piece of aluminum strap across the bottom in the back and screws in the regular mounting hole on the fan to attach to the handle of the heater and it wound up like the picture.

For those with visions of Mrs. O'Leary's cow, I didn't just slap all this together, light it and head for the mall ..
This is even more boring than my usual tripe, but -
In operations the heater/fan combo is in one of 4 conditions, all easy to test for to prevent grisly morbidity and immolation -
1) Heater off, fans off
2) Heater off, fans on
3) Heater on, fans off
4) heater on, fans on

The first two conditions present no hazard and can be ignored.
#3 Before I mounted the fans I felt the spot where they would touch the heater (in the mnorning after the heater had been on all night) and it was warm to the touch but not hot.
So far so good.
#4 Mounted the fans, lit the heater, plugged in the fans. Over four hours, checked the fans from time to time to see if anything got too hot that wasn't supposed to. Nothing did.

Months of use, no problems.
Oh, just an additional thing - the big heater was a 20 buck/30 minute repair, the regulator was full of oil, stuck in a new one. Good customer service at the Buddy heater place.

Tom
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Great heater hack. I've copied and pasted that one for future reference.

I have the bigger size Buddy Heater right now, but who knows what may happen. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse at not having bought the smaller one just to save space; but at least I know the bigger one will keep me warm. Does that little one you have heat the whole bus pretty well, or do you have to section off half the bus with that fabric to keep warm?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
Skoolie

I was pondering about you decision to do away with the kitchen sink. While I agree that 2 sinks 4' apart does not make a lot of sense, I would leave the kitchen one and replace the bathroom one with a full height cabinet. Usually there is a lot more activity in the kitchen, OTOH the bath is used to spray some water on your face and brush your teeth...........unless you get REALLY creative!. You know, more storage never hurts.....
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
wtd
Bus Nut

Um, shot of dullwittedness with a laziness back -
By the time the thought struck me about the sinks I already had the bathroom done. so the choice was move the sink that I'd already installed and redo the bathroom vs. leave out a sink. The laziness won.

Either way would work fine, - I'm not much of a cook, (most of my recipes revolve around a cardboard box and a flavor packet of some sort) so I wouldn't use the kitchen sink for much more than washing dishes.
Putting the sink in the galley would give you a pretty good size cabinet in the bath, tho' - but I dont' need that, about half the storage space that you see in the pictures is empty. I'm not much of an 'accumulator'. I wanted the galley as small as possible, and this way makes the working area of the counter as large as possible.
If I left the counter that small and put in a sink I'd have to use something over the sink in order to get a decent amount of counter space. So if I had the sink covered to get maximum counter and was using the counter I'd have no sink at all as long as the counter was in use. Geez, that sounds pretty confusing, hope it makes sense.
Funny, I'm coming up with more reason to do it the way I did now than when I did it a few years ago
I guess it just depends of where you'd use it more, everybody's different. So this way works for me, but I could see why a lot of people would like it better the other way round, has some good advantages that way.
There are a few more details a coupla posts back - JASavage asked the same question.
How's your design coming? Have you opened it up any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Great heater hack. I've copied and pasted that one for future reference.
Thanks, now if someone would drop me a tip on how to clean the darned fans that doesn't require Q-tips

Tom