Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Roof Raise in Salt Lake City

Is there anybody in or around Salt Lake City with experience in a roof raise?

I'm talking to a friend about getting a conversion done and would love to include this in the build. He is a one man show and any/all help, paid or otherwise, would be seriously appreciated!

cjmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 (3904 RE)
Engine: Cummins 8.3TA
Rated Cap: 84
No experience here but I am also interested, as I am in the Salt Lake area and staring down the barrel of one myself. And while I do have some intermittent helpers, they have less experience than I do.
synestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yea it's one of those things that I think looks harder than it actually is. If somebody is proficient in welding then I imagine it would not be as challenging as it seems.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmorin View Post
Yea it's one of those things that I think looks harder than it actually is. If somebody is proficient in welding then I imagine it would not be as challenging as it seems.
Welding is the easiest part.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

goes to show how much i know about this stuff.

Having a guide on-site would sure support the efforts of the other guys involved! I learned today that my friend has a couple welders who can aid in the process.

The goal is to do a below-window roof raise. I'm curious if that requires taking out all the windows or if they can be left in place when jacked properly.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The longest distance between 2 points is called a shortcut. You need the windows out of the way to do a roof raise as easily as possible. It would save substantial weight while lifting the roof also. Windows are easy to remove.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Is it feasible to put them back in at the higher point once the raise is completed? That is ideal, at least from a viewing standpoint. I'd prefer to have the windows at a height that more effectively simulates a house window, ie above waist height.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
Almost There

Quote:
Is it feasible to put them back in at the higher point once the raise is completed? That is ideal, at least from a viewing standpoint. I'd prefer to have the windows at a height that more effectively simulates a house window, ie above waist height.
As long as the window openings don't change as part of the raise, it should be. Personally I'm removing and replacing my windows with surplus/salvaged RV windows. However if you are keeping yours, removing and re-sealing them is a good idea.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I wouldn't mind doing that as well, at least for a good portion of the windows.

Do you know of a good source for salvage windows like that?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
I wouldn't mind doing that as well, at least for a good portion of the windows.

Do you know of a good source for salvage windows like that?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/rv...ted-24279.html
Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
My wife and I had a welder friend over and raised our roof simply, quickly, and painlessly in a day.
Its not as daunting as it seems. You can do it!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Amazing! Thank you for your inspiration! Andddd...where does this welder friend live?! Lol
Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Same story here. My ex and I did the lift in a weekend. Filling in the gaps took a bit longer.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

There must be 50 roof raising videos on You tube. I have watched most of them and it is about all the information you could possibly need.
BoxGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
There must be 50 roof raising videos on You tube. I have watched most of them and it is about all the information you could possibly need.

What about insurance? I have hesitated to raise mine because of worrying about getting insurance afterwards due to it being structurally modified.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Sorry I missed your post earlier! If you want to see a roof raise in southern Salt Lake county, send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

I stripped my Blue Bird down to the bare hat channels on both walls (kept the exterior roof skin intact) and raised it 16 inches at floor level. A local shop made hat channel extensions for me and I riveted it all together. Its current state is exterior sheet metal is in place and I'm prepping for paint. It's been in that state for a year, though.. I'll be thrilled if I get 1/4 of it painted before the weather turns too cold.

I keep telling myself that some day I'll get back to updating my build thread, but for now, finishing the bus is more important to me than keeping that thread up to date, so what limited time there is gets spent working with metal instead of photos and words. You can see a few photos with the skins removed starting around there.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
What about insurance? I have hesitated to raise mine because of worrying about getting insurance afterwards due to it being structurally modified.
No one from my insurance company asked, nor did they inspect the bus. I gave em the vin and they gave me my policy.

Don't ask won't tell...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
I did insure my first bus with a roof raise and, like CB, nobody ever asked about it.

My suggestion, don't volunteer any details and don't lie about anything when you talk to your insurance agent.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #19
Almost There

Who is your insurance company?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by synestine View Post
Who is your insurance company?

It was National General, formerly GMAC, registered as a school bus and insured in 2010. I dropped the insurance at the end of August ,2017, when I moved from Las Vegas to AZ, turned in the NV license plates, and parked the bus on some land. Plan to resume if and when the bus is finished and registered as a RV. Don't know who the new company will be.

I had a really hard time finding a company the first time. The bus was parked in storage and insured for 7 years. Paid way more than the bus is/was worth for insurance and/or storage either one. Sad story - poor planning on my part (HOA gave me problems and I could not find a place to work on it - big enough with a 12 foot tall door and electricity that will let you work on it - for less than $1000 a month in Las Vegas) and lack of funds due to the down turn in the economy were the main culprits. Bottom line - make sure you have place to work on the bus before you buy it. I think this might be easier to do in the country or in small towns.

Plan was to get it done, retire, and enjoy traveling, tinkering, and prospecting for a while and then die.

Then, I thought retiring and moving to AZ would give me a place to work on it - no HOA or neighbors to complain (wrong about that too, seems you can't get far enough away from people to keep them from complaining - guess it gives them something to do), but I did not plan on the incessant and gusty winds here (big surprise)... also lots of dust/sand (no surprise). Now I need to build a building to work on the bus in. Once again, not enough funds, but at least I'm not wasting money on storage or insurance anymore. On the up side, I have electricity, a lot of people out here don't. On the other hand, there is not really "a lot of people out here".

Starting to look like I will get too old to work on it or just die of old age before it is done. Seems like I am going to have to forget the roof raise, scale back my other plans, and just do what I can in the middle of the desert or forget it altogether. Problem is that I am having a hard time giving up the dream and moving on.

Oh, well ....... that's a deep subject for a shallow mind.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof raise