Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Roof Raising

Still saving for the bus but am going over different threads about roof raising and have decided on a 3/4 roof raise.

I really like the old Scenic Cruisers, I think they have an awesome look. I am sure there are a myriad of fabricators here who could answer this question.

After raising the back 3/4ths of the roof, could I install a windshield at an angle like a scenic cruiser? It would be a very cool place for a second set of seats or just as a skylight.

BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Look at aaronsb build thread, he did just that (minus the window you mention). Excellent build!

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...us-9394-2.html
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

dgorila,

Thanksm that's exactly what I wanted. One of my friends even had a good idea if I want to go cheaper. Do the roof like the broccoli bus did and then put a vinyl graphic over the front with the streamliner window, wouldn't have a skylight but that might be a lot out of budget.
BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I wanted to add those windows up there, but I couldn't find appropriate windows that wouldn't leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaul View Post
dgorila,

Thanksm that's exactly what I wanted. One of my friends even had a good idea if I want to go cheaper. Do the roof like the broccoli bus did and then put a vinyl graphic over the front with the streamliner window, wouldn't have a skylight but that might be a lot out of budget.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I wanted to add those windows up there, but I couldn't find appropriate windows that wouldn't leak.

One idea I had about adding windows like that is to find a car in the junkyard with the appropriate sized window(s) and cut the entire window out along with as much sheetmetal around it as you can. Then fit this to your opening and weld/rivet it into place.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Yep, thats what I started searching for. Nearly all the vehicles I could find I would have to rotate the windows 90 degrees to get the curve right, which would then cause the drain channels to admit water in.

I started poking around for step up style truck canopies with those little windows on the front, but couldn't find any tall enough.

The shape is fairly specialized - I bet you could a set off another bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
One idea I had about adding windows like that is to find a car in the junkyard with the appropriate sized window(s) and cut the entire window out along with as much sheetmetal around it as you can. Then fit this to your opening and weld/rivet it into place.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote