Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Re: Ruby Rotten - A 1997 Labor of Love

If you'd care to read about my experience with FRP (it was a good one) you can find the post in my build thread. There's a link to it in my signature.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #22
r_w
Skoolie

I have a love/HATE relationship with FRP. Most of it is after-the-fact, the diamond pattern is a PITA to clean or dry.

Menard's (not sure if you have one near you) carries a couple kinds of smooth plastic as well. It is even harder to work with, though... Takes special glue, etc. But the result is something much easier to maintain later.

Menards also used to carry FRP OSB--it was OSB with FRP already fused to it. AWESOME!
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
I have a love/HATE relationship with FRP. Most of it is after-the-fact, the diamond pattern is a PITA to clean or dry.

Menard's (not sure if you have one near you) carries a couple kinds of smooth plastic as well. It is even harder to work with, though... Takes special glue, etc. But the result is something much easier to maintain later.

Menards also used to carry FRP OSB--it was OSB with FRP already fused to it. AWESOME!
Luckily I have not had to do too much with the FRP myself. My husband and father-in-law had a hell of a time with it, especially with the two side panels. We have them cut now but only the back wall is on.
jesryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Updates from the past few weeks! We took our first road trip from Grand Rapids up to Traverse City and had a work weekend. We now have exactly two weeks before we move into our bus full time and we will be leaving MI to move to Portland, OR in the middle of November. Any tips for the trip MUCH appreciated.

Here's what we have done now:

Washer/Dryer installed and vented (had to remove window behind it in order to vent)

Bathroom sink installed as well as countertops.

More walls put up and several more outlets installed. Also, light sconce next to bathroom sink

Shower is only partially finished. FRP board proved to be a tricky mistress. Last two pieces are cut and ready to be installed, then we'll trim and chaulk to waterproof before adding swinging door.

Toilet is vented! We used the liquids tank for the first time during our roadtrip and we are both looking forward to having a door back on.

Kitchen sink and countertops are installed. Ikea countertops, 8ft long and cut to use 5 ft here and 3ft on the other side of the kitchen

Still need door for water heater cabinet and to update some paint spots

Other side of the kitchen, cabinet and countertops (not yet installed and cabinet nearly finished)

Our bench which has heaps of storage. Also the front hinges up to create double bed. Foam just arrived and fabric has been bought for bench, dinette, and curtains!

Bench and dinette seats. Table will likely have to wait until after we arrive in Portland but dinette seats are comfty and offer more storage

My younger sister did this little drawing of us and our kitties. We're so very excited to hit the road in this beast!

http://www.facebook.com/rottenride
http://www.alltherottenthings.com

We still need to have our engine looked over before the trip. We're hearing some squeaking/squealing when turning the wheel too far. Also need to patch up our exhaust pipe near the rear. We plan to cut the last 5-6 ft off and kick it out the side where the hole is.

Still to do before November 15th:

-Insulate water tanks
-Replace front door
-Finish shower and plumbing to shower
-Curtains and seats for bench/dinette
-Trim walls and floors
-Buy cooking tools
jesryan is offline   Reply With Quote