Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #161
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
You did a nice job on your T-bars.

Were the 110V limitations of your welder the reason you were hiring out the flooring job?
No, my lack of confidence in my own welding ability and my healthy fear of angle grinders led me to hire out the job. I am happy to have had somebody else do all the cutting, and his welding did give me the confidence that I can do a better job myself.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #162
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
No, my lack of confidence in my own welding ability and my healthy fear of angle grinders led me to hire out the job. I am happy to have had somebody else do all the cutting, and his welding did give me the confidence that I can do a better job myself.
LOL. It's your confidence in dealing with your rust situation is what's giving me the confidence to deal with mine.

Never welded anything. I'm getting excited.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #163
Bus Geek

Measure measure measure

Couldn't figure out why my t-bar was a quarter-inch short on each end, when I had measured it to fit perfectly against some scrap of the same 3" angle steel as the beams in my bus. Just now realized the angle steel is 3" on one side but only 2.75" on the other side.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #164
Bus Geek

Rats, I found a huge score on Craigslist for Roxul insulation, at basically half the price of the equivalent XPS foam board. But it's just so much (over 700 sq. ft. of 2" rockwool) I'd have nowhere to store it other than my bus and that would get in the way of the work I'm doing.

Hmm, I do have a spare bedroom.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:03 AM   #165
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Rats, I found a huge score on Craigslist for Roxul insulation, at basically half the price of the equivalent XPS foam board. But it's just so much (over 700 sq. ft. of 2" rockwool) I'd have nowhere to store it other than my bus and that would get in the way of the work I'm doing.

Hmm, I do have a spare bedroom.
Sounds like a deal! Is Roxul sensitive to the elements? If not, then just store it outside. You could build a wind break under the bus to insulate while you work on that little hole between your wheel wells.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #166
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sounds like a deal! Is Roxul sensitive to the elements? If not, then just store it outside. You could build a wind break under the bus to insulate while you work on that little hole between your wheel wells.
Rock wool is water-resistant (the stuff is impregnated with oil for this purpose) and this stuff is bagged, so I guess I could keep it outside. That might finally turn my neighbors against me, though.

The other negative is that it's all 16"x48" batts which would work perfectly for my floor but would require everything to be pieced together between the channels for the walls and ceiling.

This is just such an insane price, though, I think I have to go for it. It would basically be about $300 to insulate my entire bus.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #167
Bus Geek

Quote:
Rock wool is water-resistant (the stuff is impregnated with oil for this purpose) and this stuff is bagged, so I guess I could keep it outside. That might finally turn my neighbors against me, though.

The other negative is that it's all 16"x48" batts which would work perfectly for my floor but would require everything to be pieced together between the channels for the walls and ceiling.

This is just such an insane price, though, I think I have to go for it. It would basically be about $300 to insulate my entire bus.
It looks like that 700 square feet may not be enough. Using 8 ft for the ceiling, 6 feet for each side and 7.5 feet for the floor, you'd be using 27.5 square feet per foot. 700 square feet is 25.5 linear feet. You probably have more than 26 linear feet .. plus there is the back wall. If you use it everywhere bt the floor you should have enough.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #168
Bus Geek

Quote:
It looks like that 700 square feet may not be enough. Using 8 ft for the ceiling, 6 feet for each side and 7.5 feet for the floor, you'd be using 27.5 square feet per foot. 700 square feet is 25.5 linear feet. You probably have more than 26 linear feet .. plus there is the back wall. If you use it everywhere bt the floor you should have enough.
Yeah, I guess I do have a bit more square footage than I thought. I could always buy a bit more as needed. In any event, dude hasn't responded to my emails, which for miraculous finds on Craigslist usually means somebody else has already bought it.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #169
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I do have a bit more square footage than I thought. I could always buy a bit more as needed. In any event, dude hasn't responded to my emails, which for miraculous finds on Craigslist usually means somebody else has already bought it.
You can only hope. It is rare that one finds a CraigsList poster that responds to all the e-mail messages and such. As soon as an interested party contacts them, the rest go in the bit bucket. Or at least it seems that way.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #170
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Looks like classified gov't top secret bus pics.

Hid his face but not his street number
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #171
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
It fits into that opening very well, and I'll have enough room to get 2" of insulation all around it. The only problem is going to be fitting the step part of it (along with a layer of insulation), which I'll have to deal with by notching the wheel well and possibly raising the tub a couple of inches above where I'd planned. I've been thinking about cutting part of the step off the tub but I'm not sure I want to go that route and risk leaks.

Standing in it feels fine, plenty of foot room.

Hope you never have a tire blowout... looks like it will take your shower with it.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #172
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Hope you never have a tire blowout... looks like it will take your shower with it.
The underside of the tub will be encased in a steel box and insulated. It's not going to be hanging out there exposed.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #173
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #174
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
Fool's gold ... dude never replied to me. That roxul is gone, baby.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #175
Bus Geek

First splinted beam

Chopped, osphoed and cleaned behind driver's side back wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.png
Views:	12
Size:	558.8 KB
ID:	39067

Name:	IMG_0588.png
Views:	9
Size:	525.3 KB
ID:	39068

On the other side, I was happy to find that the cutout for the fuel pipe is just a hole and does not go down all the way to the base of the chair rail. This means I'll be able to slip my 3" angle steel splint beam on this side right in there. I thought I was going to have to rig something very funky to go over this cutout.

Name:	IMG_0589.png
Views:	30
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	39069

Painted the driver's side with POR-15.

Name:	IMG_0590.png
Views:	10
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	39070

Beam placed and holes drilled (five 3/8 holes for the bolts and two 3/4 hole cutouts for the existing bolt heads that attach the chair rail to the ribs (so I can get this beam flush with the chair rail). With the other beam I realized I don't have to cut all the way through to get clearance for these.

Name:	IMG_0591.png
Views:	15
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	39071

Bolted in place. The bolts go in from behind the chair rail and are nutted on the inside, and this was about as big of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be. I clamped the bolt sideways in a vice grips and was able to get this down behind the chair rail so I could nudge the bolt through the hole and then pull it all the way through and get the nut onto it. I then tightened it as much as I could and released the vice grips, then had to stick a wrench down to lock the bolt head while using my new torque wrench to get the nut down tight.

I used a split ring lock washer on the bolt head side on the theory that it would hold the bolt head tight so I wouldn't need to get the wrench down onto it (wrong), then nylon lock washers on the inside along with red thread lock. Overkill no doubt.

Name:	IMG_0592.png
Views:	13
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	39072

I'm putting these beams splinted to the chair rail in all four corners of this repair because I'm worried about the loss of wall support from the missing floor hear and the tendency (I imagine) of these wheel wells to sag otherwise. These beams also give me a much better point of attachment for the cross-pieces that will run behind and in front of the wheel wells.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #176
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 466DT
I'm envious of your McGyver like fabrication skills!

I'm going to have to make some "extensions" for some rusted floor supports and I can't say I'm super excited about that process...
ted@campbycanoe.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #177
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted@campbycanoe.com View Post
I'm envious of your McGyver like fabrication skills!

I'm going to have to make some "extensions" for some rusted floor supports and I can't say I'm super excited about that process...
Just like any other aspect of building your skoolie ... one step at a time.

I bet that the first time Musigenesis saw the floor rusted throug, he thought he would never get that fixed ... too much! Now, he is getting much done and really understanding the bus in the process.

Keep up the great work, Musigenesis!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #178
Bus Geek

Quote:
I bet that the first time Musigenesis saw the floor rusted throug, he thought he would never get that fixed ... too much!
I literally sat in my car and cried and hatched my plan to drive the bus into one of the back lots of the bus services company next to where I was parked and just abandon it there. The bus was actually not in my name in any way at that point so there was no way it could have been traced to me, and most likely the bus company would have just sort of absorbed it (the engine and transmission at least had some value).

I'm glad I stuck with it, since I'm forced to learn how to do a lot of things that I wouldn't have had to learn with a rust-free bus.

Thanks for the encouragement, though, it definitely helps.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:33 PM   #179
Bus Geek

Quote:
I literally sat in my car and cried and hatched my plan to drive the bus into one of the back lots of the bus services company next to where I was parked and just abandon it there. The bus was actually not in my name in any way at that point so there was no way it could have been traced to me, and most likely the bus company would have just sort of absorbed it (the engine and transmission at least had some value).

I'm glad I stuck with it, since I'm forced to learn how to do a lot of things that I wouldn't have had to learn with a rust-free bus.

Thanks for the encouragement, though, it definitely helps.

For some reason, I always like your "origin" story of your build!

You are welcome for the encouragement. You have presented many scenarios that many of us may never see ... and many nice solutions as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #180
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
Nothing but respect! You got this.
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build thread