Old 10-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Very clever!

The idea about the beds meeting in the center of the bus is a VERY CLEVER idea! I may appropriate it (one day.) Where is it writ that a bed *has to* be against an exterior wall?

Doh!

Very nice layout, too.

Two things I have considered:

Roof deck -- most are as wide as (or narrower than) the bus. How about one with pull-outs (from underneath) that extended the deck width by 50% on each side, AND could also function as window awnings/shades AND drop down to cover the windows so no one could break them out if you left it parked somewhere.

The "back porches" that I have seen make me think about adding "side porches" that would fold up against the sides of the bus. Park and drop the porches (even one in front) and you could have a walk-around deck.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearm
Looks like a cool layout. One question...skookum?
Hi Firearm,

It should actually be Skookum (with a capital 'S') since it's a proper Native American name. In our parts it means stout, strong, built like a brick sh*thouse, etc. Nowadays it's become part of the northwest vocabulary with a small "s"; kinda like kleenex (which should have a capital "K" and only refer to that specific brand).

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:31 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Re: Very clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
The idea about the beds meeting in the center of the bus is a VERY CLEVER idea! I may appropriate it (one day.) Where is it writ that a bed *has to* be against an exterior wall?
Given a long enough bus and the right layout I'd just as soon have an island queen (with all 'round access) like the Big Boys do but I think that takes a 35 to 40-foot flat nose and the bus needs to be 8-1/2 feet wide to make it work really well. I didn't have that with our 35-foot flip-nose, 8' wide bus and with the last 5 feet of the bus designated as the work shop. I really ended up with about 21-feet of bus to get the "living quarters" in to (equivalent to a 9-window bus).

This layout was really a response to a set of specific requirements. It's like those little puzzles where you've got a bunch of squares that slide around and only one open space. Each of the requirements was one of those squares and I just kept moving them around the bus until they fit.

Quote:
Two things I have considered:

Roof deck -- most are as wide as (or narrower than) the bus. How about one with pull-outs (from underneath) that extended the deck width by 50% on each side, AND could also function as window awnings/shades AND drop down to cover the windows so no one could break them out if you left it parked somewhere.
Kewl idea! I've resisted the idea of adding anything on top; one of the reasons I chose a school bus was for it's low profile (compared to a road coach) and not having to worry quite as much about low underpasses, tree branches and such. I will end up with a couple of AC units up there so maybe a deck could be designed to stay below that height and utilize your slideout idea. I like it!

Quote:
The "back porches" that I have seen make me think about adding "side porches" that would fold up against the sides of the bus. Park and drop the porches (even one in front) and you could have a walk-around deck.
I've see nicer back porches than the one I added to my drawing but what I was really after was a convenient way to use the back door to the work shop area and not really someplace to "hang out". The porch in my plan sits about 7" to 9" below the level of the bus floor and then has the fold-down steps at the end (probably both) to complete the trip to the gound. It also gave me a place to carry one or two of the Honda EU2000i portable generators.

The genset issue is the thing I've wrestled with the most. I've got to have one to run the AC units and I've got to have AC so I don't kill our dogs if we park the RV in 100-degree plus temps while we grocery shop or something. If we get caught in some sweltering heat it will be nice to stay cool. And we will have a microwave which can take a set of batteries down fast; it's really easier on the batteries if the microwave gets powered by a genset (or shorepower).

The dilemma hasn't been about having a genset but about what fuel to run a genset with. The bus is diesel but the diesel generators I've seen are much bigger than we need, are way expensive, and probably a bit noisy. I'd hate to have to install a separate fuel tank to run a gasoline powered genset; fillups would be a pain in the rear with diesel, gasoline and propane to contend with. I could choose a propane powered generator since we'll have propane aboard anyway but I wasn't planning on having much propane because only the water heater and stove use it; a propane powered genset run many hours would deplete our supplies pretty fast.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that a couple of EU2000's in stainless or aluminum boxes on the rear porch would be less expensive to buy and install. We'd almost always just use one except when both AC units were needed; in a sense we'd always have one backup unit if one had trouble. Since they're so fuel efficient it wouldn't be a problem to carry a couple of 5-gallon Jeep-style gas can to keep them going (probably mount them on the porch too). And, they can be moved around so if I need power somewhere away from the bus I can just tote the EU2000i over to where I'm working. Well, it sounds good on paper anyway; we'll see what we do when it time to make the final decision.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 11-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Question: can the Eu2000 produce 12V power?
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #15
Bus Geek

the honda eu2000 is rated for 96 W @ 12vdc. That's 8 amps.

according to the honda website http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eu2000.htm
Old 11-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
One thing to note is that these are not 120V generators they are 12 volt generators that use an inverter just like you would in a car to get up to 120V
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

8 amps? OK..............back to the drawing board..........
Old 11-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Question: can the Eu2000 produce 12V power?
OK, you've got me curious! What would you use the 12-volt power from the EU2000i for?

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

My entire conversion--My plans are for no 120V except the shore power connection. EVERYTHING will be 12V, includintg the A/C.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

get yourself a Ford large case alternator (around here $35 rebuilt) and an electric start lawnmower motor..you can make your own generator pretty darn cheap.. an 11hp motor should run a couple of alternators pretty easily.
system-f is offline   Reply With Quote