Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
Skoolie

Re: Salty's Skoolie project

Quote:
Originally Posted by putterspitt
So plan your electrical accordingly.
Thanks for the tip.

Christopher

thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
OK so I finished up messing around with my floor plans for now here is what i have so far. Keep in mind exact measurements may be off.
Basically same as my last but I turned on all the layers to show electrical, plumbing, propane, and AC duct. Eventually Ill build my self a full legend to so what is what. Its all a little confusing to look at all mixed together but it shows how crazy its going to get com time to build. I also moved the layouts on the page and added pass side view, front view, and back view.
enjoy

Chris

love the drawings

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMO-MONSTER

love the drawings
Thanks.
I drew it up in Adobe Illustrator. I tried the whole google sketchup route but didnt really care for it. I have everything situated in layers so if I want to work only with electrical for example I can hide the other layers and make changes.
But every thing is not exact as I dont have actual deminsions on hand of a mid to late 90's Thomas 35' RE high-topper. but it gives a good idea to my plans. and with Illustrator making changes or starting fresh with just a basic empty bus is easy.
Thanks again

Christopher
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
Skoolie

Just found this guy on the web I don't know if he is a member here but I don't recall seeing his bus around. I really like his idea for the slide-outs. Might have to contact him later down the road for tips.
Here is the link
http://www.chrismerkley.com/The_Bus.html

Chris
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Wow the man can build
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

But after hearing all the problems the RV folks have with slide outs, I really don't think all the effort (and $$) is worth it. Not for gaining 18" to 24". But that's my personal opinion. We looked into building slide outs on the Eagle using hydraulics. The fact that he didn't beef up the surrounding framework would bother me. But that's me. I believe that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong, and at the worst possible time. And it will be raining.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
But after hearing all the problems the RV folks have with slide outs, I really don't think all the effort (and $$) is worth it. Not for gaining 18" to 24". But that's my personal opinion. We looked into building slide outs on the Eagle using hydraulics. The fact that he didn't beef up the surrounding framework would bother me. But that's me. I believe that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong, and at the worst possible time. And it will be raining.
I've known several people who have slide-outs on their rv's and haven't had issues. I would think if one built it sturdy enough reinforced the surrounding area and had good seals it would be great. Now as far as putting hydrolics and motor driven slide in I could see there being issues. I would go the route of a manual slide. It would save $ and any issues with mechanics.
Its just a matter of design, build quality and using quality material and seals.

Now maybe he didn't beef it all up but from the few photos I seen I cannot tell much. That would be one of my concerns in building slide-outs, making sure the surrounding area is reinforced to handle the changes.

Chris
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

A school bus is built on frame rails, an Eagle has trussed side frames for support. The Eagle would need to be engineered to make up for support lost in the slideout opening. A school bus is a lot more forgiving; you could cut out big sections, and as they are built for rollovers, you've got a lot of extra strength to play with. Though before adding a slide out you'd have to raise the roof (unless you like squating), and with that you would need to maintain the shear strength.

I'm with Lorna, though. To much work for too little space.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:50 AM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmylc
Quote:
Quote:

love the drawings
Thanks.
I drew it up in Adobe Illustrator. I tried the whole google sketchup route but didnt really care for it. I have everything situated in layers so if I want to work only with electrical for example I can hide the other layers and make changes.
But every thing is not exact as I dont have actual deminsions on hand of a mid to late 90's Thomas 35' RE high-topper. but it gives a good idea to my plans. and with Illustrator making changes or starting fresh with just a basic empty bus is easy.
Thanks again

Christopher
Well.... ive been on a Google sketch-up kick for the last 16 hours, already did one bus @ viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6600

got close on that one... discouraged that no one has at least said it was sh*t... and since i could read measurements from your drawings i gave it a try useing your scale 1 small square to 3" got to where the door was and seen the structure on the 'tv' side next to the door.. couldn't figure out its height and called it quits :P

be happy to finish the model,but could really use the drawings in a whole you got going.. "maybe ac/electrical" while im at it

anyways, heres the progress.. 'off to try to find drawings of Smittys bus lol'

Hey thats pretty cool. I think on some of the things without having something to physically go with I winged it and drew it so it looked correct. Obviously when it comes to building it heights and widths will change. Heck I could have the dimensions of the bus all messed up. I drew my floor plan off of what I could get from others as far a bus measurements. So there is probably 3 or 4 different years of Thomas bus measurements who knows how much they changes from 80's - 90's - 00's. My drawings are more of a stepping stone into the right direction. After I have my bus sitting in front of me then I'll adjust the floor plan accordingly. I appreciate the modeling. If you want to continue by all means go for it, its pretty cool. For measurements you cannot figure out or seem off its probably the ones I winged. I think my Sig block has a link to my Flicker account where I have the drawings of the bus hosted. This my give you larger view of it.
Thanks for drawing this up. Things always look differently in 3d form than on flat paper.
Thanks again
Christopher
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #30
Bus Nut

so how about a link to where you did your lay out?

Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:
Here is a link to my flicker page where I have my layout hosted.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesaltydog24/sets/
It can also be seen at the beginning of the thread.
Where I built the layout was done on Adobe Illustrator CS4. Its a pay for software used mainly by graphic designers. Its kinda like MS paint but on super extra strength steroids.
Christopher
Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a link to my flicker page where I have my layout hosted.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesaltydog24/sets/
It can also be seen at the beginning of the thread.
Where I built the layout was done on Adobe Illustrator CS4. Its a pay for software used mainly by graphic designers. Its kinda like MS paint but on super extra strength steroids.
Christopher

well what i was hoping for was thelink to be able to make one of the monster and what i would like to do to it.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
WELL.... this is far as i had gotten before i realized i was tired and might have thought 5 inches was half a foot/plus the 1.5,2,3,6 INCH walls were getting to me :P :P

if you want to can get measurements "see how accurate it is lol"/modify/continue this sketch up model with this save file "open with Google sketchup"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kk3l73

i might continue in a couple days "working on my chassis tank placement" not as easy as i thought :P

Wow looking good. Sorry it took me a few days to respond, my Fall quarter classes just began so it has caught my attention. I'll have to open the file up and take a look this weekend. but for now back to the books.

Chris
Old 10-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
Skoolie

Quote:
Was wondering why it took so long :P

DONE!
accuracy +/- 3" -your drawing is confusing/hard to see little 3" blocks- <-- :P

download source here (opens with Google sketchup)
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/c9e3f0e00f_2.02MB

i almost didn't finish it... but it started bugging me about leaving it undone :P
of course this is as accurate as i could get it without redrawing it 5 times because of my consistent error in feet to inches conversions/paying attention/keeping place in your drawing and fighting back idea's to modify your creation :P

i hope this helps with the visual projection of your future skoolie !
Wow it really makes a difference seeing it in 3D form. I may have to make some adjustments to my original design. It looks a little tight in some places. I am also contemplating on getting a full 40' bus instead of a 35' one. that will let me spread out my layout a bit more and keep things less cramped.
Thanks Timmy

Christopher