Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #101
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford Big Block FE
The 6.0 will get a EGR delete and oil cooler while it is out. The van engines don't put out the HP the truck engines did, so they seem to hold up better. I'm still going to give it the once over. It will also be much easier to work on under the hood of SanFord. I'll probably make a tilt front end while it's apart to make it even easier to get to.

The transmission has a fresh rebuild on it and should be good to go.
Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
I was just thinking about your build last week, but hadn't had time to search to see where you were at on it. It looks great. I like how the paint turned out, looks very vintage. I also like how you hid the window airs. It just wouldn't have the right look to me, with a window air hanging out the back or some side window. Great job, and thanks for the update.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 PM   #103

What would make the bus really cool would be to install a true 1956 Ford guage cluster instead of the 53-55 version that's in it. I realize the bus came with the earlier cluster as that's how they were made.

Good job on resurrecting the 1959 bus!!
Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #104
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I can attest to the Bullet-proof system. LOVE the system. I have it in my '05 F350 and it is AWESOME. She breathes better and gets better mileage to boot. I've been following your build since the start and am glad to see you're back with Sanford.

Outstanding craftsmanship!

M
Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #105
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Glad to see you are back at it. Can't wait to see the tilt front clip. I would love to do the same.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #106
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the tilt front clips making working on things so nice... everything but the radiator.. but if you make your clip like the OEM navistar busses then the clip is held on by 4 springs with cotter pins and 2 hinge pins.. and its off...

with the tilt clips of my busses I can stand between the wheel and frame and the engine is just above workbench height... or I can stand on the frame / wheel..

if you can build a tilt i surely would!!

ive never been a total 6.0 Hater, but the more I learn about it, the more id be willing to use one.. the navistar version VT-365 busses can be had CHEAP because people are afraid of it.. the navistar version didnt have all the same issues as the ford.. but the EGR cooler and oil cooler from the bulletproof system can be fitted on that as well..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #107
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Jack...aka; 'Ol Trunt"...did a brilliant job of constructing a full tilt front clip on his 1935 Shorty. Some very impressive engineering and fabbing on that build (slide out, pop-up roof, tilt front clip, pneumatic door, and more). Definitely worth digging that thread up.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Jack...aka; 'Ol Trunt"...did a brilliant job of constructing a full tilt front clip on his 1935 Shorty. Some very impressive engineering and fabbing on that build (slide out, pop-up roof, tilt front clip, pneumatic door, and more). Definitely worth digging that thread up.

I thought I was good until i read Tango and ol trunts threads.. wow!! and sanford is looking to impress also!! thersde classic busses present real challenges and the skills you guys have are fantastic!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote