Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #141
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford Big Block FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
I just bought a 54 ford, wayne bodied, short bus. I saved the link you posted about window rubber and such. Thank you for posting that. Would you share the part number for the flat, rear side window rubber gaskets? Where did you go to for the new window glass? Would you share what you have learned about parts needed for the side windows. I don't know if my bus has the curved rear glass still, or not.Mine is shorter than yours. Right at 24'.

thank you,

william

All the rubber came from these guys.

https://www.metrommp.com/

I will have to look and see if I have the part numbers when I get home this afternoon.

For the glass, I'm in the glass industry so I had my manufacturer cut and temper the glass based on a template I made. Any decent glass shop should be able to have them cut for you if you can make them a template.

My rear curved windows were still intact so I was able to reuse them. They can be made, but they will be very expensive. I did some research just in case I broke mine changing the gaskets. It was going to be about $400 each for the glass and that would have required me making a aluminum template with the size and proper curve. Needless to say I was very careful to not break them.

Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #142
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There are a number of buses, both newer & older that are scary just because of that "curved gla$$ thing" either front or rear.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #143
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Toyman

Thank you for the information. Your bus is so close to mine in age, I hope I don't wear out my welcome asking questions. You have done a lot on the same path but you are out in front.
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #144
Bus Crazy

front windshield

Do you have any idea what the front windows of your bus, mine are the same from the looks, anyways do you know what the windows came from? sure look a lot like the 1950 chevy pick up front glass. I am going to make a template of the front window on my 1954 wayne and then go to a 50 era chevy pick up and see if it is a match... I am going to need new front glass.

thanks for your time,

william
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #145
Mini-Skoolie

I'm going to need glass as well but I have no clue what matches it. Since I'm in a glass business, I'll make templates of the old windows and have my manufacturer make it for me.

That's going to be my next project
Old 06-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #146
Bus Crazy

windows

If I find an off the shelf match I will let you know. I am hoping that the front glass is really chevy truck.... we could then get both front glass with tint! Summit racing online catalog shows $90 for both, less shipping. My rear curved windows and the rear door are in very good condition.

Looks to me all the windows are laminated, you with the sheet of plastic between two layers of glass, like the way front windows are built now. Does that jive with what you have? I have some side windows that are going to need to be replaced, one in the front door and I would like new glass for night time driving up front. If we both need the same parts, is it any cheaper to buy together?

do you need any chassis parts? I am not going to use any of my b-500 chassis.
Same for steering column, pedals.

regards, william
Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #147
Mini-Skoolie

The rear curved glass on mine is tempered. All the rest of it was laminate. I've replaced all the rear flat glass. If it wasn't broken, it was separating and the plastic layer was turning white. I also had to pull the curved glass to replace the gasket. That was a little nerve wracking. Getting new glass bent would have been very expensive. Everything I've replaced is going back with tempered safety glass. It's much more durable than laminate. The windshields I'll be replacing with laminate for penetration protection.

As far as chassis parts, I'm going to be replacing most of it with modern running gear. The front axle is going to be replaced with a F550 beam axle. I think that will be easier than cutting down a medium truck axle to fit under the fenders. I'll also end up using most of that steering linkage. The power steering unit, hydroboost, and steering gear will all get transferred from the F450 bus that is also going to be the engine and transmission donor. It will mean fabbing up a bunch of stuff, but that shouldn't be a problem.