Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford Big Block FE
SanFord the Great! A 1956 Ford B-600.

Meet SanFord. She's a 1956 Ford B-600 chassis, with a Wayne body. I bought her in Allenton Wisconsin, where she had been languishing for a dozen years, neglected. Being a glutton for punishment, I promptly drove it 1000+ miles home, to South Carolina. If you are interested in the trip, there is a thread here, on Grassroots Motorsports.

The bus got dubbed SanFord by a toll boot operator on the trip home. When I rolled up to pay the toll, she was singing the theme song to Sanford and Son at the top of her voice. It seemed appropriate, so it SanFord it is.

The Bus Thread.

Today's project was to dig all the extra stuff out of the bus and figure out exactly what I had to work with. I hadn't inventoried it when I bought the bus, figuring everything extra was a bonus. It turns out there was quite a large bonus.

2 camp stoves

1 RV stove/oven.

2 12V RV range hoods with vent fans and lights.

2 SS Sinks, one kitchen, one bath.

1 RV rooftop air conditioner.

3 RV leveling jacks.

1 extra water heater.

1 extra RV direct vent furnace.

1 complete set of bath water fixtures, shower and sink.

1 side mount RV awning with side curtains.

2 extra water pumps.

1 set of electric RV steps.

1 20 ton bottle jack.

1 mummified rat.

More to come...

Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

SanFord was converted to an RV in the 70s and already has a RV title which saves me a lot of paperwork.

I'm still a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. There is an amazing amount of work to do here. My tentative plan of attack is going to be:

Roof. Strip, repair dents and rust and prime/seal. The roof currently leaks so this is on the top of the list.

Body. Strip, repair dents and rust and prime/seal.

Then paint the whole thing.

In between the above will be going through all the other systems and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Once the exterior is done, we will move inside.

The carpet on the roof and walls has to go. While I would love to do a wood ceiling, the compound curves, front and back, will make that extremely difficult. The roof will probably end up painted.

I'm pretty sure all the cabinetry will stay. It's in pretty good shape and looks decent.

The floor has to go. It's a big question mark at the moment, but it will be replaced.

Pictures for documentation.

I really like the garden hose plumbing. /sarcasm.

That's what we are starting with, any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I've built a lot of things in my time, but never a Skoolie.

More to come.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Mmmmm....mouse jerky! And the "other stuff" is a real windfall. Excellent find and a real classic.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
We are all dying to know what you paid for it!!! I understand if you don't want to disclose it, but......

Also, what kind of engine/tranny setup does it have?

Sweet find though, and looks like a super fun project!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Bus Geek

BTW --- just in case you haven't seen it and want to research the 5.9 Cummins transplant idea...there is a ton of info & experience on the site below. And in spite of the "4BT" in the name, folks there are working with many different diesel engines including the 6BT.

Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums
Old 02-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Did you know that you're already famous here on skoolie.net? This could be fun to watch

We look forward to seeing your progress!

EDIT: Ah, I see that you DO know of it's existence since you were amongst the several posters!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Lovin' it!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
We are all dying to know what you paid for it!!! I understand if you don't want to disclose it, but......

Also, what kind of engine/tranny setup does it have?

Sweet find though, and looks like a super fun project!

John
I paid a little over $3k for it. Seeing many of these, stripped down and not running listed for much more, I thought it was a decent price.

The engine is a FE Ford big block, of unknown size. At a guess it's at a 70s era 360, possibly a 390. The transmission is a Clark 4 speed. Fast it isn't, but with the rear axle in low range and the transmission in first, it will climb a wall.

Over the 1000 miles home I averaged about 7.5 mpg running 55 mph. Not as bad as I thought it would, but not great either. The engine didn't use a drop of oil or coolant so it will be staying for for now while I concentrate on the body and interior.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Toyman,

After that EPIC journey I hope whenever you decide to swap power plants you'll ENSHRINE that beautiful engine!!!!! That dedication to service deserves some sort of recognition. Amazing how it never used a drop of anything!

I'm usually an odd-man out on engines, I LOVE Cats and Fords. Bit expensive when they break down, but they have held up well for me.

M1031
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
I can't wait to see what you do with this wonderful old skoolie!
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Toyman,

After that EPIC journey I hope whenever you decide to swap power plants you'll ENSHRINE that beautiful engine!!!!! That dedication to service deserves some sort of recognition. Amazing how it never used a drop of anything!

I'm usually an odd-man out on engines, I LOVE Cats and Fords. Bit expensive when they break down, but they have held up well for me.

M1031
If I could find a overdrive transmission to put behind it, I'd consider not changing the engine. Personally I prefer gas engines over diesels. Even my pickup has a 460 in it.

I have a Samurai I'll be towing behind the bus, so I'm afraid I'm going to need the torque of a diesel for towing and climbing mountains. This is going to be my retirement rig so it's going to see a lot of miles, all over the country.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Welcome!
Nice bus. Nice rat also.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman01 View Post
I paid a little over $3k for it. Seeing many of these, stripped down and not running listed for much more, I thought it was a decent price.

The engine is a FE Ford big block, of unknown size. At a guess it's at a 70s era 360, possibly a 390. The transmission is a Clark 4 speed. Fast it isn't, but with the rear axle in low range and the transmission in first, it will climb a wall.

Over the 1000 miles home I averaged about 7.5 mpg running 55 mph. Not as bad as I thought it would, but not great either. The engine didn't use a drop of oil or coolant so it will be staying for for now while I concentrate on the body and interior.
That's great! And you're right. A good deal, especially with all the bonus items! Well done! I look forward to watching your build progress.

Super jealous of everyone right now, as I've been in Mexico visiting the parents since December. I'm soooooooo itching to get back to Texas to resume working on our bus...only 28 days before we head back...I can make it....I hope....

Cheers!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Wow! What a find. Beautiful!
If it were me (and it isn't) I'd consider getting the body back in condition and looking good, then working with what I have. Just get the interior so that it's workable and doesn't stink, then use it for a year. You'll have a much better idea of what works and does not work for you that way.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Dan-fox, that's probably a good idea. The interior layout is pretty decent, the cabinets are in good shape, so they will be staying for the foreseeable future.

My interior work is mostly going to involve getting the 30 year old shag carpet off the ceiling and walls, and replacing the flooring. The ceiling will probably be getting painted, the walls will be getting something like paneling, possibly bead board, and the floor something durable that can be swept.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: DD 6V-71
I'm excited to see this build progress. I looked at several "antique" Skoolie, and had really hoped to find one to build my project on.

'56 was the best looking truck Ford ever made, in my opinion. Love the classic look!
RyanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
Bus Geek

They just don't make'em like they used to.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I got home early enough today to get a little bit done.

First up was the dent in the roof. It was right on the front and looked like someone had sat on it. No creasing, just pushed in. I was able to slide a flat bar inside the interior vents and push 95% of it back out. That was a relief. No before pictures, but here's an after shot.

The carpet on the roof was fastened up with a bunch of rusty screws, so I removed them and scraped the bits of carpet off. I'll have to get out a wire wheel to prep it for paint.

Next up was removing three plastic lights. These will not be going back. I'll find some vintage, brass lighting to reinstall.

I also found the source of some of the roof leaks. The wiring for the three lights I pulled was run across the top of the bus and drilled through the roof to each fixture. I've seen some cruddy work before, but that takes the cake.

This is the wire here. It was run out of the drivers window and across the roof all the way to the back of the bus.

More to come as it happens.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Dang that's a cool bus, my good friend has one very similar.
Neighbor lived in it since the 70's then gave it to my friend.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

I didn't get much of a chance to work on SanFord today. I'm trying to get a couple of other projects finished off first.

I did manage to climb under it and take a gander at the propane tank. It's another bonus. I didn't realize it had one until I had to climb under it to work on the rear axle on the trip home. The tank is a little rusty and I'll need to pull it for paint and hydro-testing, but over all it's looks decent.

It also wasn't empty. Naturally I had to open the valve and do some checking. The stove lit with no problems, as did the refrigerator and water heater. The only thing that didn't want to lite was the furnace.

That's it for today.

More to come.