Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Sara & Andy's Bus

After getting cozy with the tape on the floor you might even consider full-sized cardboard mock-ups. I've seen a few rigs developed that way that turned out very livable. Just cardboard & tape, but it really gives a sense of what works best where. Google SletchUp is great fun and a tremendous help but the virtual version won't tell you where you are going to bang your shins and bump your head like real, live 3D will. Just a thought.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Now that's how it's done! Very nice work.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Just gotta' ask...did you pre-heat the sheet metal while attaching it? Otherwise it is very likely to "oil can" during temperature changes.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Ya on plasma cutter - so handy.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Nice Rivet Work Guys!!! --- Did you keep count of them?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Great job on the roof raise.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Awesome job, and this is exactly the bus type I want when the right deal comes along! Now I know what it will look like after I raise it.
Question: can you supply the details on the purchase (where you bought it from, the price and the condition of the bus)? I'm a few hours north of you in Va. Beach, VA and want to find a source for a reliable bus at a good price in the region.

Keep the pics coming of the progress, looks great!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Very nice work guys.

Looks great!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
dgorila1, you should check the local school district auctions, our bus actually came from VA. If you intend to go the dealer route you might want to check out Sonny Merriman, they're in VA I know. Honestly if you have the ability to bide your time and scour a bit, then you probably should. I once read somewhere about of a bus mechanic with their ears to the ground snatching up two buses like this for $1000 each.
Great, thanks for the info. I have Sonny's website bookmarked and plan to stop by his place if I ever make it up his way. The local districts here only use dog noses, and I have never seen them advertising an auction of the old buses. Not sure if they are sending them somewhere else or if I have just never caught them at the right time. I'll have to check around with the various city fleets and see when their auctions are.
Can't wait to see your progress. As I said yours is exactly the style of bus I want and I need to raise the roof also to get headroom (I'm 6'4"). Added benefit is the plan to put in a bunk for my daughter with a "work area" under so she'll have her own personal space to escape to. She's excited and can't wait until we can make the dream happen.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

dgorila1... I thought you were considering a highway coach? Or are you just flip-flopping around, keeping your options open until something turns up? As for a roof raise... If you use a center aisle layout, you might be able to get away with a clearstory instead of a full raise. Some of the military buses and college buses have higher roofs.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

What type of spray foam are you using? I know you're in a time crunch, but most spray foams require temperatures of 75 to 85 degrees ambient air to properly rise. Otherwise, you'll be wasting money when the foam only expands a small fraction of its intended rate.

If you can spray in a shop, you may be able to get the temperature up to where it needs to be. I know our temps here in Virginia have dropped drastically, so you may have to be creative with finding a lot of heaters to compensate.

An alternative may be to use sheets of 1 to 2 inch board foam, then seal the edges with Great Stuff expanding foam... Just a thought.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #32
Skoolie

I really don't think filling the tubes with foam is going to help a lot, the framework is a greater issue here. Heath losses will happen through the metal tubing itself, not the air inside. A humidity barrier is necessary, or condensation will appear inside the walls and cause water damage.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
dgorila1... I thought you were considering a highway coach? Or are you just flip-flopping around, keeping your options open until something turns up? As for a roof raise... If you use a center aisle layout, you might be able to get away with a clearstory instead of a full raise. Some of the military buses and college buses have higher roofs.
No, I'm leaning towards a skoolie because they're built on truck chassis and are more rugged. I want something I can take on rougher roads when desired to stay in out of the way places (i.e. the boonies). Originally when I got the bug I was looking at Class 8 trucks pulling a 5vr, then I looked at Class 8 coach conversions, but then I learned about skoolies and became a convert. You can do so much with a skoolie for so much less money, it's a no brainer.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1
... I want something I can take on rougher roads when desired to stay in out of the way places (i.e. the boonies).... You can do so much with a skoolie for so much less money, it's a no brainer.
The high road clearance was a plus for me. We tended to stay in Public campgrounds (National Forests) back in NC. Some of them really weren't suited to a highway coach. MOST of them weren't suited for a highway coach. But that is what David fell in love with and the Eagle was bought with part of some $$ he inherited. I wouldn't try to put the Blue Bird into Wildcat (need 4WD most of the time), I would have no problem easing into any of the campgrounds on Persimmon (Chattahoochee NF).

I have wanted a Blue Bird ever since we looked at one for sale when we were living in the campgrounds in Hixson (Chattanooga). I found a converted Blue Bird in Middle Valley that when we looked at it, we would have sworn it was a Wanderlodge. The guy who converted it styled the exterior to look like a 1970's era Wanderlodge. He had picked up a wrecked travel trailer (sell off from insurance company) and basically stuck the trailer inside the bus. Unfortunately we caved to with wishes of one of our kids who swore she would die if she had to live any longer in the campgrounds (we were truly concerned about her). So we bought a house instead. That was the last house I plan on ever owning. I really despise being "owned" by a house. I do miss my garden and the fruit trees. In hindsight, we should have bought the Blue Bird. Better late than never. I do like to "go". Six months to a year in one place is stifling. Kinda like wearing shoes.... a thing I am conscious of the whole time. I am long over due for a move... (Tuesday! whether the roads are completely clear or not)

I foamed in the square tubing on the Eagle. I used Great Foam in a can. Then before we decided to dump the Eagle, we cut into a section of square tubing that I had foamed. It was interesting to say the least and a shock to discover how much $$ I had wasted. Perhaps others had better luck. I probably did it wrong and should have drilled the holes closer together. I really thought making the access holes 18" apart was close enough. Live and learn. We did not do that on the Blue Bird.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Weld detail.

Another weld. Not the prettiest, but as long as it works =^)[/quote]

Not to be mean, but structurally those welds are useless. Seriously, they would be hard pressed to be called tack welds. You really should have them rewelded correctly for safety and structural stability.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

I kinda gotta agree with the dgorila1. I learned to weld in vocational high school long, long ago and haven't ever really used the skill since, so I'm far, far from an expert, but those welds would never have made it out of any shop I was in.

I also agree with not trying to be mean as well - just sayin' ... might want to have another set of eyes on them before you button it up.

Tom
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #37
Skoolie

It will be a lot more effective to have 1" of insulation between the INSIDE surface of the framework and the OUTSIDE face of the wall covering than filling the tubes. The greatest heath loss will be through the metal itself, not the air inside the tubes. Actually air, if kept static (not moving) is the best insulation. Insulation material is just a lot of air cells trapped so the air will not circulate. Cut open any piece of insulation and see it yourself. Ditto for foam: lots of tiny gas bubbles perpetually prevented from moving. Air has an interesting property: if you seal closed a 4" X 4" X 4" empty (just air) box the air will start circulating inside by itself....
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Just don't roll the bus, and it should be fine.

(I once was a boiler and pressure vessel inspector, and part of the job was weld inspection, and yeah I saw those welds, but its not my bus, and not a boiler.)
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

Hello,
I am sorry but allot of the posts are correct in regards to the welds you are showing.
There is no penetration I can see in the welds pictured; they are sitting on top of the tube stock.
You can continue and in the not distant future these welds will crack loose and become a serious problem.
The most important aspect of welding is laying of the "root" weld. This is at most times the very first weld made; it has to penetrate all the way through the pieces being welded. The "cap" welds made after the root weld are also important; but don't have to look pretty to have strength.
Depending on the tube thickness a bevel is a very good idea to put on the tube end your butt welding to another to give better chance of penetration.
From what I can see you are having a problem of the "weld" running down the piece?
You need to readjust your heat and adjust the wire feed if your using a mig?
Is it flux core or gas?
In parting you have done a fantastic job BUT I would strongly suggest getting those welds redone. It will be far cheaper and allot easier now than later.
Here is a link for some examples.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Lookin' Good Guys! --- what are you using for the radiant barrier paint?