Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #111
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Schoolbus Homestead

I really don't know how the northerners do it, living in buses and such in *real* winter conditions. My hat is off to the lot of them!

Fortunately if it does get cold & snowy, the roads are usually clear by mid-day which makes it possible to get the motorcycle out for groceries, errands and such. I'm planning on moving to Tucson soon, just have a few commitments here in Silver City to follow-through on first.

Good luck with staying warm and your move. Any chance I can score a pulled pork sandwich before you leave?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #112
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Unusually cold here as well, at least for central CA...about 27 overnight but no snow. Stay safe and warm, and Lorna, be safe in your move.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #113
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
... Good luck with staying warm and your move. Any chance I can score a pulled pork sandwich before you leave?
Nope, we've had the cart closed down for a month. Won't open it back up until we get to Roswell. As for traveling... I just want to get there in one piece! No breakdowns of any kind! This is a sucky birthday. We were supposed to have left Socorro today. So much for my "birthday present".
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #114
Bus Nut

Hopefully your trip will be uneventful. Before you know it you'll be set up in the new place, NOT freezing your butts off!

Hey, Happy Birthday anyway.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #115
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Hopefully your trip will be uneventful. Before you know it you'll be set up in the new place, NOT freezing your butts off!

Hey, Happy Birthday anyway.
Thanks for the B-day wish. And Roswell is just as cold as Socorro apparently. More people there though, so more money????
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #116
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Happy Birthday Lorna! It's down into the 30's here in Austin,TX tonight. I'm hanging out in my bus tonight in the driveway, installing another cabinet and just getting some "man cave" time; and I have one of those tiny electric space heaters with the ceramic element going on high. It's in the low 60's in the front part of my bus, which I have sectioned off from the back with curtains. Once I find some old wool blankets to use as insulation for curtains I'll make curtains to seperate the cockpit from the living space, and I'll bet at that point I'll see a 30-40 degree rise from that space heater.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #117
Bus Geek

Thanks. Gotta love those little space heaters! I commented to David yesterday about picking up a kerosine space heater for the bus (no electric) and that our daughter might want to get one in case the electric popped off in the cold. But we realized that we have yet to see a pump anywhere out here that says "K-1" on it. So where do folks get their kerosine for their Kerosine heaters? Or don't they do that out here? In NC, TN & GA seems almost every place that sells gas sells K-1.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #118
Site Team

Sean, I'm very interested in your thoughts about the amount of insulation you used on your bus. After that cold spell you had, do you think it was just enough or not enough. Your bus is similar to mine, just a wee bit shorter. If I decide to drop the inside roof skin, I get to use a screwdriver not a grinder.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #119
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

If I could have done it with a screw driver, I would have. No way would I with rivets!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #120
Bus Nut

I'm happy with my insulation choices. As it is, the weak points are the floor and the front area, which IMO is best insulated by blocking it off with a framed & insulated wall (& a door if desired). The driver's area has too much glass and nooks & crannies to ever insulate properly.

Could I have more insulation? Sure, couldn't we all? But any more would have meant losing floor- and head-room, or insulating on the outside, which for wasn't an option.

Somewhere around here (the forum) I have numbers & figures for how it all performed in mild winter conditions. If I find that post I'll link it here.

EDIT: Here it is, the meat of it anyway:
Quote:
More would be better, I think. Over night, in temps above freezing, the bus will stay 10 degrees F above the outside temp without running a heating appliance. A Big Buddy propane heater on low will add another 10 degrees. Same for an electric heater on low (750 watts IIRC. Details are in another post...somewhere around here.) In summer, in the daytime, the bus stays about 10 degrees cooler than outside if I leave the windows open all night, and close everything up before it starts getting warm outside (warmer than inside). Closing curtains is important on the sunny side of the bus.
So with my fairly mild seasons I seem to get 10 degrees for "free". Maybe you could check the coldest temp inside your bus, just before sunrise, to see how it compares to the outside temp. Assuming all windows & doors are in place and closed, etc.

Sean