Old 04-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
This weekend we added a rear deck to the bus for propane storage. Also worked on the kitchen pantry buildout (adding cabinets) and a few other loose ends.
(EDIT: The propane tanks will not be located on the rear deck.)

Rear deck:

Kitchen cabinets:

Today's entire story here, the whole enchilada here.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Hey your bus is looking wonderful! It's really nice to follow your progress; thanks for going through the effort to document it online.

I'd like to make a comment as food for thought and not me suggesting that something is wrong. My comments/questions are in the spirit of all of us here getting to learn from each other; I have no intention of passing judgment on someone else's work. I have ideas of my own but I learn most when presented with ideas from others; it challenges my ideas and makes me think about other options.

I would be uncomfortable placing my propane tanks in an exposed location at the rear of the bus. Knowing how little propane is required to make a nasty explosion it isn't something that I'd want an inattentive (tailgating) driver behind me to hit in the event of a mishap. Even if the tanks remain intact there would be a good chance that the valves would be damaged and/or the connection hoses pulled away resulting in a leak.

It would also be the first thing to take damage if the bus is inadvertantly backed into something (hey, it happens; these puppies are long!).

As I said, just some thoughts and I personally would like to hear more about this (since I haven't done the permanent installation of our propane system yet).

All the best...

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Hi Les-

I appreciate the feedback, and especially the comment regarding propane tank placement. I consider it sound advice and will take it into consideration.

Sean
Old 04-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Update: I was just re-reading the NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles (2005 ed) and...not sure how I missed it...but it plainly states that the tanks can't be mounted on the rear bumper.

I'm not looking to get my bus converison certified in any way...but if the NFPA says it's a bad idea, and Les says it's a bad idea, then that's good enough for me.

Thanks again Les for getting my brain in gear on this. I'm looking at other tank mounting locations.

Sean
Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Funny you should mention this.....

I was thinking this morning that it would be funny to have an empty propane tank mounted on my bumper with the words "DO NOT TAILGATE" painted on it.

Of course, I'd rather not get pulled over for causing a public nuisance on the road!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #26
Bus Nut

That or a fake, nasty-looking blackwater valve on the back, with a sign saying something like:

"REMOTE CONTROLLED, HIGH-VOLUME BLACKWATER FLUSH VALVE.
SOLID HUMAN WASTE MAY BE EJECTED AT ANY TIME.
KEEP BACK 100 FEET."
Old 04-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Hi Sean,

Thanks for positng the NFPA 1192 info, that's good stuff. I'll have to get a copy of that. It was just paranoia on my part that prompted my post. I work on potentially dangerous systems on cruising boats every day and my mind is programmed to provide the safest systems possible for my customers (AC power, propane and gasoline require the utmost care). Some days it's a blessing and some days a curse!

I have to laugh at my self sometimes...the second part of the post which I started to write orginally was about not blocking the back door so you had an escape route from both ends on the bus. Then I remembered you have a huge rear side door where the wheelchair lift had been (along with those nifty folding stairs)!

I don't weld but I do like the way that Vern1 (BruinHilda) and others have done a compartment under the bus. It doesn't have to extend down too much lower than the lower edge of the skirting. I'm trying to mount mine pretty close to under the stove area so the supply line runs are short and simple.

I saw one installation where they mounted a truck box (like the semi trucks use) on the side (with the skirting cut to fit around it) instead of welding a compartment up. [Ah ha! It was on Michael's Mobile Homestead site and it was Dave & Linda's bus).

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 04-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Hi Les--

Thanks for the truck box photo/idea. I have a few choices for mounting the cylinders...just have to figure out which is the best. We've already purchased the cylinders (2 x 20# upright) and being uprights they need a space of about 20" of high to be easily accessible.

Behind the rear differential (a la Eric Von K's bus) springs to mind as allowing that height, and also being a somewhat protected area. Not the easiest access, but it's only 2 of us, using propane for heating water and cooking only, so I don't believe it will be a weekly ritual to refill one.

The other options are near the back, behind/along the skirting like in the photo.

Just have to crawl around under the bus with a tape measure, paper & pencil and an open mind.

Thanks again
Sean
Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Behind the rear differential (a la Eric Von K's bus) springs to mind as allowing that height, and also being a somewhat protected area. Not the easiest access, but it's only 2 of us, using propane for heating water and cooking only, so I don't believe it will be a weekly ritual to refill one.
I refilled mine in November, and haven't been back under there since, but then I'm not using it for heating water. I make a pot of coffee in the morning and do some range-top cooking about every other evening.

Quote:
Just have to crawl around under the bus with a tape measure, paper & pencil and an open mind.
I was going to add "and an open wallet", but you won't need that...until you get out from under the bus.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Here is the way Vern1 did it on BruinGilda...

Note: He made his compartment large enough for 4 tanks; two in use at any time connected with the dual regulator and 2 spares. The compartment on the left was for the batteries (in the angle iron area) and the shorepower stuff.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site