Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #1

Year: 1980
Schoolhouse and schoolbus!

I'm renovating an old one room schoolhouse and a 1980 Chevy Shortbus, because... and apparently I like

Haha! I'm in the middle of the school reno, but just starting the bus. I'll need a bit of help with the bus, because I'm better with workworking than with metal. I've seen wood walls in buses, and I can't quite figure that out yet-- how do you attach to the metal walls of the bus?

Anyway, here it is. The bus anyway!

gratefuldeadbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Welcome.

No link?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

Oh! Just figuring this out-- thought I'd attached pictures! Thanks Robin.

Here's the link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyvintage/
Old 04-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Geek

That's a clean little bus. Really cute pics of the kids too.

Is that a gasser?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #5

Yes, regular gas. Got it from a guy in Manhattan, KS who painted it purple because he was going to K State. Luckily he's done the "dirty work" and taken out all the seats. I ripped out one piece of the plastic floor covering, and there seems to be rotten wood under it. Not taking any chances. Taking kids to the prom in it on Friday. One thing though, if you know: I took out the (non working) heater in the back of the bus. Disconnected electrical but I'm unable to disconnect the "tubes"-- that's a technical term, lol. I unscrewed the metal bits around the tubes that seemed to secure them, but I can't get the tubes to disconnect. Sorry for the inability to name these things-- I can name any technical thing on a camera, but this stuff? Not a chance
Old 04-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Well, color blind me. I thought it was blue and that's why I was admiring it so much. It's a wonder I'm not driving around a purple bus. It looks so clean and straight for it's age.
Yeah, most older buses have rotten plywood in the floors. It's wet and has very poor insulation qualities. That's often the first thing to get ripped out.

So the back heater wasn't working? If you've removed it you've probably figured out why it's not working. They usually have many years worth of compiled dust bunnies, gum and trash stuck in them. Aside from that there are valves near the engine block, or sometimes one by the driver's feet, that turn off the hot water to the rear heater off in the summertime.

As far as disconnecting your heater, is part of that problem rubber hoses attached around a metal pipe held on by hose clamps? Some have two rubber hoses that run along the drivers side floor to the rear of the bus. The hoses connect to the tubes on the heater. If you're not going to use the heater again, or if you want to replace the hoses before reinstalling the heater, you can simply cut the rubber parts with a razor knife after removing the hose clamps. Just slice the hose lengthwise a couple inches enough to get it loose from the (probably) copper tubes on the heater core.

If you're not going to use the heater again you'll obviously need to use a short section of pipe and two hose clamps to create a loop in the two water hoses to prevent antifreeze loss. Initially the loop can be full length going back to where the heater was, but eventually you'll want to remove and shorten the loop.