Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

Year: 89
Coachwork: international
Chassis: short
Engine: diesel
Rated Cap: 26
securing folding doors

I just bought a 1989 International short bus. I have parked it on my property, plan on using it as an “extra room”. The folding front doors can be secured on the inside by a lever next to the drivers seat. But I haven’t been able to figure out an easy way to secure the folding front doors from the outside. I’m searched this site, but haven’t found anything on this. I’ve attached a photo of the doors. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
67 door-1.JPG  

starbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: securing folding doors

would like to see the rest of the bus as I have an 89 short bus.Did you know that a mobile home door will fit perfect in the hole? You nhave to fill in a little at the top. then you can put a regular lock on it. Just a suggestion putter out
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

I have an 83 Int and I still climb out the rear door when parking for the same reason. I have thought of a few idea's but I do like the replace the whole thing idea. Welcome! I'll think about it a bit more this weekend and post any idea's I have. Pics are always a crowd pleaser just an FYI.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I kinda like these. Something to use while you wait for the replacement to arrive.

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I got two eyes with a threaded end on them from a hardware store. Then drilled a hole on each side of the door about eye level and bolted the eyes in there. Then I have a solid steel bar about 10" long with a hole in one end and a washer welded on the other that I slide through the 2 eyes and put a padlock through the hole. Ill post a picture when I get home.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Chevy 350 V8
Rated Cap: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
I kinda like these. Something to use while you wait for the replacement to arrive.

That setup works great actually. If you mount them right they won't interfere with the doors operation. Plus the puck (lock) is heavy enough to beat someone down if they try to steal your bus.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thats why you carry "the Club". I remember hearing about a 60yo lady who was almost carjacked at gun point in LA. But, lucky for her that she carried "the Club" as she used it to beat the crap out of the guy as she called the cops. I also remember falling off my chair when I saw the officer make a statment about it on the news... oddly enough, he did it without smiling once.

I kinda had the idea to mount those brackets on both the inside and outside of the doors. I figured that if you are inside and wanted to lock the door, just use the same lock. But its a rather silly idea.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

Hey can you reply with the name of the lock and bracket. Maybe a link or where you found such a beast. Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I found mine at Home Depot. Came with both the lock and the bracket together for around 30 bucks. Here is the link to it on master lock's site. They seem to show the two parts separately.

http://www.masterlock.com/apps/masterlo ... l|security
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #10

Coachwork: international
Chassis: short
Engine: diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Thanks for all of your responses. I have attached a photo of the bus when it was in the bus yard, just before we brought it home. We live in the country, have parked it on our property. It was my wife's idea to get a school bus, and she insisted on a short bus because “they're so cute". OOOOOOOK.
We are looking at using it as an extra room, a place where she or I can go to take some time from each other. We think it will also be a great place to stay for those of our family and friends who are so inclined. At this point, we don't plan to do any major conversions to the bus. We have taken out almost all of the seats, plan to put in a wood stove for heat (we live in the country and have plenty of wood) and play around with painting the bus inside and out. That's about all we've thought of so far. I don't have plans to actually drive the bus, though it certainly is drivable. Since the bus has reached what may be its final destination, I put some concrete cap blocks underneath all the tires, to keep them off the dirt. I plan on starting the engine every few months to keep it from seizing up (or whatever engines do when they're not run).

When we were looking for a bus, I came across a website that North Carolina has for its surplus (read “well used”) school buses, http://www.ncschoolbussales.dpi.state.nc.us/. I imagine other states may have similar sites. We were lucky to be able to find this bus on that site, as most buses seem to be the larger variety and, for our purposes, the prices seemed reasonable.

I've been looking for a SIMPLE solution to locking the front doors. I like the puck lock that TKFT used on his bus. How did you attach it to the bus? From the photo, you didn't use nuts and bolts.
Kamoo, I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of your lock, as I'm very visual, and don't understand exactly what you described.

As for the wood stove: since we don’t plan to live in the bus full time or even sleep in it during cold weather, I’m wondering if a SIMPLE wood stove might fit the bill. Here are 2 on ebay that look interesting. What do y’all think?

http://cgi.ebay.ph/NEW-NORDIC-PORTABLE- ... 53dc62dbdd

http://cgi.ebay.com/portable-military-c ... 20ae4313ac

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments.
Attached Thumbnails
67+at+bus+yard.JPG  
starbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbus
I've been looking for a SIMPLE solution to locking the front doors. I like the puck lock that TKFT used on his bus. How did you attach it to the bus? From the photo, you didn't use nuts and bolts.
One of my friend's dad welded it on there for me. I didn't like the idea of putting holes in my door to mount it. I figured I could just take a few hours and grind it off if I wanted to change it. Seems to hold up great, but then again no one has challenged it.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins "C"
Rated Cap: 89

Any ideas for securing a bi-fold front door? Mine does not split open like the one in the pictures here.
llamaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote