Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2004, 09:02 PM   #1

Seeking Guidance for Mini Skoolie Veggie Project

Hi. I am a soon-to-be full-time activist looking to educate folks in Florida about biodiesel technology and other impt. issues. I am selling my house Aug. 6th and need to find a new "home". My idea is to find a mini-skoolie diesel bus and convert it to SWO technology and to live out of the bus while doing activist work around the state and country.

I am just learning about veggie fuel and know that retro-fitting the interior of a skoolie can be challenging (especially if you are not mechanically/carpentry trained!). I would appreciate help in the following:

1. Where I should go for an education and hands-on training in biodiesel/bus mechanic info. Is there a workshop or group that could teach me what I need to know?

2. Is there a group or company that I could pay for (and help do the physical work even) to do a conversion of the interior to make it livable and functional for my educational purposes? I am useful when I have the knowledge and tools to do the work.

3. Could anyone steer me in the right direction as to what is the best kind of mini-school bus to get for my purposes? I might be traveling cross country from time to time. I want to be able to go take workshops on various community/social/enviormental justice issues so getting the right bus is very important to me.

I REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP GETTING ME TO REACH MY GOALS !!!

Many thanks !!!

Namaste'

mindy

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS" Mohandas K. Gandhi
mindystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Bus Geek

there is a great book, i think the title is "from the freyer to the fuel tank" I have not read it, but i hear this is an excellent resource.

I converted my bus a few months ago and have had excellent results so far!

I'd be more than happy to help you with any questions i may be able to answer. Too bad you live so far away or i'd just cruise by and give you a hand. I"m from michigan
Old 07-29-2004, 02:30 PM   #3

Many thanks for the book title. I will do a google search and try to find it. Are you posted on the schoolbusconversion list serve? I had a reply on that list from a guy in MI wondering if that would be you?

I have a 2 wk hold on a 92 Carpenter IHC that looks in excellent shape though it is kind big for me just starting out (it is a 24 seat-er) wanting to do a conversion thru the "greasel" guys in MO would be about 2-3,000 to convert (yikes). And I would have to work on interior conversion for living in so I think I will be up around $10,000 before too long! Need to watch my $$ now that I am selling my house.

Looking forward to hearing more...glad to hear you love your greasel bus.

peace,

mindy
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS" Mohandas K. Gandhi
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

I don't think i mentioned that I did not use a ready made kit from greasel or any other company. I made mine from scratch.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #5

Wow...that would really be much better for me $$ wise.

A couple questions.... Do you know people who do conversions on the engine? I am happy to learn, help, & pay for the conversion....I just don't have tools or knowledge of how to do this. Michigan is not out of the question either. I understand I need to be able to go wherever I need to to get my new "home-on-wheels" in order.

Do you know people who do other conversion work like wiring for additional outlets, batteries, water tank installation or interior work?

Very excited about prospects, but want to make sure I am able to do what I want with this bus before buying it.

PEACE,

mindy
Old 07-30-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindystone
Do you know people who do other conversion work like wiring for additional outlets, batteries, water tank installation or interior work?
Talk to the guys at http://www.busnut.com/ they are in Iowa and do conversions and have done work for my neighbor who is converting an Eagle, not sure if they have done much on skoolies but you can call them.

They are skoolie friendly as my school bus and Michael & Millie Shaw's (LATCHO DROM) school bus are shown on their web site.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Taking your bus to a shop that does that sort of work sounds expensive to me.

I can't do everything, but i'm quite handy. I'd be more than happy to help with your bus for cheap. It's always a drag to work on outside projects in the winter, so it'll either have to be done before the end of october, or next spring.

If you're seriously interested, you can give me a call @ 586 481 1011
-------Jason

where did you say you are from?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:38 AM   #8

Jason,

I am from Fla. (Vero Beach...east coast half way up the state). I will keep your number handy (cheap is good!) and when I have time to check out buses and find one I will keep in mind the time of year....luckily we don't have that problem here...it is spring all year round.

I am ready for an adventure though and am looking forward to changing seasons! I will pick up some books and do some looking at other's buses in the meantime. Want to find the best bus for me so I don't regret it later! Let's keep in touch.

peace,

mindy