Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: No bastoni, no chiodi ricurvo a due punte

Years ago I was doing a lot of gouging & grinding while building a two-stroke racing motor. The next day I was at my office in a high rise and reached up to rub my eye...YOWZER!!! Apparently a tiny bit of steel had transferred either from my eyebrows or hair into my right eye (I had been wearing goggles while working). I went into the men's room to see what I could see. It was so bad I wound up using a magnifying loop and an Xacto knife to remove it right there ( a buddy who walked in still talks about it...he nearly puked when he saw what I was doing ).

Went straight from there to an eye Doc. He said I did the right thing. Turns out the rust that starts forming and spreading out almost immediately causes more problems than the shard itself in most cases (the fluid in your eye is basically salt water).

Lesson?

These days I make sure to wear a hat, goggles and a full face mask when cutting or grinding. I do NOT want to repeat that event.

Be careful out there.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Since everyone will heed your words of wisdom ( ) it might not be needed advice...BUT- I have been successful using a damp Q-tip to get stuff out of my eyes.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

allwthrrider, is there any chance you might be able to take video of the inside of your crown while it's still 'naked? (If not, no worries)

Your pictures have given a ton of insight on what we might see when/if we tear that far into ours. Thank you for posting.

Wishing you a speedy recovery on that eye... sounds painful!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkblots84
allwthrrider, is there any chance you might be able to take video of the inside of your crown while it's still 'naked? (If not, no worries)

Your pictures have given a ton of insight on what we might see when/if we tear that far into ours. Thank you for posting.

I've got 1 more panel to pull tomorrow then I'll take a few more pics, I'll make a video but not sure how to load a video onto the sight

Eyes better thanks not so much painful just irritating it was embedded in the eye so Doc had to use a little mellon baller to get it out what was weird was after that he took a little grinder with a burr to polish it out, you looking out then things start to shake & you feel the vibrations going thru your head
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Quote:

I've got 1 more panel to pull tomorrow then I'll take a few more pics, I'll make a video but not sure how to load a video onto the sight

Eyes better thanks not so much painful just irritating it was embedded in the eye so Doc had to use a little mellon baller to get it out what was weird was after that he took a little grinder with a burr to polish it out, you looking out then things start to shake & you feel the vibrations going thru your head
I'm super squeamish about my eyes... Would probably have needed to be sedated for all that! Good that is getting better!

I haven't the foggiest of how to get videos on here, I only recently figured out I can upload video from my smart phone (Samsung Galaxy note 2) to YouTube, so I do that then post the YouTube link in here.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Finally got the interior gutted,I ground so many rivets I actually plugged 1 set of filters on my respirator I could not draw another breath
Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

My Crowns a pusher so the air intake came thru the interior out the roof, any good reason why I can't move it to the side of the engine compartment where this vent is?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Engine: DD6-71T
Rated Cap: 78

I have heard from mechanics that worked on pusher Crowns that getting air to them was critical. I am not a mechanic. However, I am assuming that the engineers who designed the engine placement decided that it needed the air intake where it was. Of course, most Crowns did not have rear engines, so your arrangement is rare amongst Crowns.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: Chevy 350, custom rebuild
Rated Cap: 72

I am a diesel mechanic. How was the intake on the roof? just the pipe sticking up or did it have a forward or rearward scoop on it? If the filter is to the left of the elbow in your picture of the inside of the vent, you could move it to the vent and it should be ok. Just don't block the entire vent as that is needed for ventilation and proper air flow over your radiator. Where is the exhaust? if it is near or under that vent, then that is why they put the fresh air intake up on the roof. You don't want an engine breathing its own exhaust fumes if you are stuck in traffic.

Do you have pictures of the intake that was on the roof? and where is your air filter?

I know all about stuff in your eye, and like Ink I'm very squeamish about my eyes. I was running a train with the doors open because it was hot out. Something suddenly was in my left eye. Had the conductor take the throttle, and I tried to wash it out with some bottles of water. COLD water. didn't work. Stopped at a propane dealer and used his hose, STILL didn't work. Got back to my inlaw's, and tried flushing it there. Was still bothering me. No one could see anything. Traveled home to SC. My wife works for an eye doctor, specializing in diseases and injuries to the eye. So the doctor takes a look and finds a piece of beetle shell, stuck to the inside of my eyelid. Luckly the shiny side was towards my eyeball, as the inside of them is very rough. But boy was it irritating!
ferroequinologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroequinologist
I am a diesel mechanic. How was the intake on the roof? just the pipe sticking up or did it have a forward or rearward scoop on it? If the filter is to the left of the elbow in your picture of the inside of the vent, you could move it to the vent and it should be ok. Just don't block the entire vent as that is needed for ventilation and proper air flow over your radiator. Where is the exhaust? if it is near or under that vent, then that is why they put the fresh air intake up on the roof. You don't want an engine breathing its own exhaust fumes if you are stuck in traffic.

Do you have pictures of the intake that was on the roof? and where is your air filter?
In this pic the white cap on the top right rear is the intake, the exhaust right now exits the right rear thru the bumper my plan is to remove the muffler & reroute it to exit in front of the left rear tires, also I'm planning a 10" roof raise & in doing so was either planning on extending the intake 15" & installing a scoop like you see on Semi Trucks or relocating to the vent on the right side
Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

First rain of the season found out the slots are actually for guiding the rain off the windows and back outside with the interior panels off just doesn't work so going to have to wrap some tarps over for the winter
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

You should be fine to move it to the side if you want, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work just fine.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Just an idea, but perhaps it was located on the roof to draw in cooler, denser, cleaner (less kicked up dust) air. Especially if the engine doesn't have a factory installed turbo and/or intercooler. The air 10 feet above the asphalt is likely several degrees cooler.
What do you folks think?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #54
Bus Geek

I would def. say this: as over engineered as Crown was, there is a very good reason they did it

and it worked 40 years
I don't have enough knowledge about the rear engine buses to know

There are certain quirks with all of them

some have to have a full width skirt behind bumper

some have to have a full width skirt behind the rear axle

some have to have a full width skirt behind axle with belly pans to cool correctly

so Idunno
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

I just enlarged the image to look closer. Is the vent formed as a scoop? At highway speed it could be acting very much like a turbo!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty
I just enlarged the image to look closer. Is the vent formed as a scoop? At highway speed it could be acting very much like a turbo!
Looks to me to be just a vented cap to keep rain water out, There is a turbo installed ,I'm heading off to work now but I'll take up close pic of the cap later and post it
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #57
Skoolie

Quote:
First rain of the season found out the slots are actually for guiding the rain off the windows and back outside with the interior panels off just doesn't work so going to have to wrap some tarps over for the winter

So this tells me taking the metal "walls" down might not be the best idea for us? We were trying to decide if we should pul it down or just insulate over it...

Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Quote:

So this tells me taking the metal "walls" down might not be the best idea for us? We were trying to decide if we should pul it down or just insulate over it...
Try to look up into you rub rails from outside to see if there open or not, some are some arn't,Other's with Crowns that have roof vents are not open, I personally feel it's better to open them up & insulate because I'm taking all the regular windows out & will be skining over so there won't be water coming in when finished.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

This is the intake cover it only had about a 1/2 in gap at the bottom edge, looks to me to just be a rain cap an maybe keep birds out
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Actuallu it looks like that vent would be more of a restriction to air flow. Engines like lots of air, especially turbo engines. The less distance and bends or curves the better.

If I had that bus I would find an old military jeep fuel filler plate, turn it sideways and put a screen on it, and volia! Intake. I will try and find a picture of what I'm talking about and post it soon.

Having an intake where you can get to it is handy in case of a turbo seal failure and a runaway engine. Granted if you were driving and it happened, by the time you got her stopped, grabbed something to plug intake, (coat, towel, floor mat, etc) and ran to the back of the bus to plug it, the damage will have probably been done. But having it on the roof gives you a 0% chance.

Runaway engines are rare but can happen, I'm just pointing out a worst case senario.