Got the radiator and intercooler back. Here's the radiator before:
3 cores and lots of decay. Just a total mess.
Here it is now back at my shop:
4 cores and ready to be painted. The intercooler is already painted because it was shipped out to be rebuilt. No pics of that right now since I'm leaving it in the box until I'm ready to put it in. I've been scraping and treating rust in the engine compartment where all of this will go, then priming and undercoating. I may as well do what I can while I have access to the area. I might also cut out the existing battery box and put in a new one. I'm not sure I like the current location: right behind the rear tire. There just feels like there's so much weight there already, not to mention the chance for future corrosion. I might turn that space into some kind of storage. Not really sure right now.
I got several long pieces of 14ga sheet steel bent into an L so I could cut my own brackets to further secure the window covers top and bottom. I have cut 56 so far and it's just slow going.
They are screwed into the old window sill in 2 places, somewhat for extra strength, but mostly because if I use just one screw, the bracket rotates and I can't stop it.
Those screws are stainless steel and I have to hit them hard and fast so the heads don't shear off. The back of each bracket is primed, painted, and has a layer of thick 2 sided automotive tape. The tape serves as a vibration barrier, and helps seal the screws from the outside when the window plate squishes against the bracket. Of course, the whole thing will be sealed with primer, paint, and plastidip.
I also like the effect of the extra screws.
I went through a few ideas to "industrialize" my new refrigerator that's been sitting here, not plugged in, for probably 2 months. One involved drilling 8892 holes through some adhesive rubber material to attach to the faces of the doors. I didn't like the effect so I decided to just use the plain material. I am also fabricating custom handles out of braided steel water line, battery post connectors, and mounting plates for screw-in legs used on small tables. I will trim the edges in 1" aluminum angle.
As always, it won't win any awards for "perfect execution," but I've accepted that I am not creating a showroom quality bus.
So, the fridge. I'm thinking about removing the 120v fan from the back and replacing it with the 12v squirrel cage fan that was used on the old defroster. I'd just need a relay to kick it on in place of the 120v fan when needed. The idea is to use less electricity overall, though I don't know either of the fans' ratings right now. I originally wanted to duct the exhaust from the fridge to the outside when it's hot out, and to the inside when it's cold out, but have decided that the heat difference is not worth figuring it all out. Also, I'd have to drill through the heavy plate where the wall meets the floor, and I'd rather leave that piece alone.
After the radiator and all is installed, it will be time for windows and the roof rack. Oh and a trailer hitch. I guess I should do the hitch before reinstalling the radiator.
I definitely need to log some overtime to pay for all of this. I'm trying to keep the final budget under $45,000. I'm already over 25% there.