A pretty big milestone for me: the radiator and intercooler are installed - finally!
Finsihing the rubberized coating on the last piece of the shroud:
This is the piece that channels air into the intercooler. You can tell by looking at the installed location (further down) that the intercooler barely gets any decent airflow, so I cut two 4" holes that will receive ducted air to help things out some. I also plated over the nasty holes where the old heater lines went through.
Okay, so first the fan... (notice the nice clean engine compartment)
No, first the shroud, THEN the fan.
Moving the assembly into position:
I had to take off the piece by the intercooler to make things easier to fit back in,
and then - TADA:
I still need to rebuild the lower trim piece on the radiator that helps channel the air. The old one is just a bunch of rust crumbles.
A look from the hole in the side to where ducts will take air to the intercooler:
Before I installed all of this, I made sure the alternator connections were perfect. Bare metal to bare metal with dielectric grease.
I'm waiting to get the duct plate back from a laser cutting shop. I tried to make my own but the hole saw died and I'm not paying $50 for another one. I have a few tiny odds and ends to really finish the install, but the hard part is done.
Next will be the other side of the engine to include:
- mounting the new air cleaner
- cutting and fabricating the line to the turbo
- cutting all of the aluminum intercooler tubing
- getting new transmission lines
- looking for an alternative to the solid metal coolant lines
- installing ports for air temp, boost and exhaust temp
- lots of electrical connection cleaning
- lots of rust treatment and underbody coating
- install the backup alarm and new engine bay lights
(might consider some colored lights for show)
At some point, I'll finish up the ducted air and can then move on to the floor. YES - the floor. Procrastination time is OVER. I bought myself a welder for Valentine's day and am going to learn to do it myself.