Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Shortie Conversion Kodiak Alaska

1998 International Thomas short-wheelchair lift bus with the T444e 7.3 engine and Allison transmission. We purchased the bus from someone who started the conversion process but was unable to finish. As of 2/16/16 she is an officially titled, registered and insured motor home per Alaska DMV.

We're working on the paint, here in Kodiak during the winter we don't have many dry sunny days. The plan is to use Rustoleum flat black and use foam rollers and brushes as opposed to spray cans, which we have been using.

I had the most trouble getting her to start. Check and charged the batteries, put in a new glow plug relay, new starter switch and replaced the wires from solenoid to switch. That worked for about 10 starts, now she is dead again. I'll spend some time this weekend testing more possibilities.

The inside seats were already removed with the exception of one, which is nice to have with seat belts still attached.

My goal in phase 2 or 3 is to install a new floor. But for now we'll make do with the old floor.

In order to get the title as a motor home we needed to permanently install a heater, water supply and sink with plumbing, cooking facilities with ice box, and self-contained toilet. For right now the toilet is a cassette style that for now is under a tote (out of sight) and we have a shower curtain for some privacy when in use.

We're using a hammock secured to the seat belt anchored above the windows for storage and for my son to sleep in.

Our kitchen is an old table with a piece of plywood attached to the top and all secured to the walls and floor. The sink is plumbed into a 5 gallon bucket for grey water and the Coleman stove is secured to the top of the table.

We installed a futon to use for sitting and sleeping.

We decided to paint the walls a brighter color.

The rug helps with the overall look.

We had one day of sun in the past month so my wife bought some spray cans and covered most of the yellow. The rear suspension is air bags which is nice, but the compressor stopped working a few days ago. I figured out the ground was bad and fixed it. Here in Kodiak we have a marine climate and rust is a huge problem!

With the inside painted it is much better. We're still working on a solution for curtains. Here in Kodiak during the summer it is light until about 2am sometimes. We plan on camping here in Kodiak and taking the Bumper on the ferry to Homer Alaska and camping for a couple of weeks and exploring the mainland. We are originally from California and embarked on our Alaska adventure a couple of years ago, but have yet to explore the mainland.

We have attempted to paint the roof but it always starts to rain.

The hammock is also a great swing!

I just figured out how to post pictures and do a thread so I'll add more as we get more done.

Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Welcome to skoolie
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
Good on you for doing this on Kodiak - I'm from Juneau but am doing Velda's conversion in Wisconsin for easier (and cheaper) access to materials and better weather than I could hope for in coastal Alaska.

Welcome to Skoolie!
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Yay for Alaska buses!!! We are also in AK and come to Homer often. Bus looks great; you'll love tootling around in it through this state. May I ask who you are insured through? We are having no end of trouble getting ours insured....
Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Great idea about doing the conversion closer to more resources.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, thanks for the compliment. Our insurance is through Allstate. Before we did the conversion we couldn't get insurance. Once we got her titled as an RV we gave the insurance company the vin and class as a motor home. We just got basic liability. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

This is an old school bus that is possibly for sale here in Kodiak.

Maybe in a few years I'd like to upgrade to a bigger bus.

https://youtu.be/swbwAzx78Lw
Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nice job on that. I spent a couple years in Ketchikan and those winters are brutal. You've got a lot of insulation or a big wood stove or both?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post

When I click the link, I get "This video has been removed by the User"
Old'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I had trouble with the video so I had to remove it, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post

I'll try to get another video uploaded soon.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, sorry about that. I'm still learning and had trouble with the video. I'll work on uploading another one.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Robin91396, Unfortunately in this phase, phase 1 we don't have insulation or a wood stove. Winters in Kodiak are repetitively mild in comparison to other areas in Alaska, especially in the last 3 years. In the last three years it has snowed less than 10 times and the temperature rarely dropped below freezing. The winter temperature is about in the mid to high 30's most of the winter.

This season the plan is to use the skoolie how it is during the spring/summer with an indoor propane heater, a Mr. Heater which does a good job of warming it up quick. To complete phase 1 we will be finishing the paint, some minor mechanical issues (serpentine belt chirping) and building some walls for a "bathroom" (for the porta-poti). As we're using her we'll keep track of things we want to change and add for the second phase.

Second phase will most likely be next winter and include insulation, flooring, a built in dinette table and a small wood stove like the Cubic Mini Stove Cubic Mini Wood Stoves - Mini wood stoves

We'd like to keep the open concept as much as possible, so we might not do a lot of cabinets and built in beds and so forth.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hello Bumper. I didn't realize it was that warm there in Kodiak. I thought I was going to literally die by freezing to death a couple times in Ketchikan. Two winters of that were enough.
Currently living in Oregon, the couple cold months are quite noticeable as I am also in an uninsulated bus with all it's windows. I didn't think I'd need insulation but I'm seriously considering making that happen.
I like the openness in your bus. I tried to do the same thing but there's no storage and I'm kind of a pack-rat. I went with file cabinets, fridge, bed and TV. It doesn't look open anymore and I'm starting to see the wisdom of using some type of cabinets for better storage and removing some windows to reduce heat transfer. Heating a smaller sleeping portion of the bus really helps during the winter.
I've had two conventional short buses like yours. They do very well at towing relatively heavy loads, like another truck or bus. I'm struggling with getting used to this Bluebird flat-nose because of the way they drive. Now I need to get a class "B" license before I get busted.
I notice you also have L-track all over your floor. Check out how expensive L-track is because you'll probably want to sell that if and when you do your floor. I thought the L-track would be great for securing motorcycles and stuff and it does work well. A hammock is perfect across one of these buses.
Nice pics. I think you're going to have a nice time with the bus. Kids love them.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I really like those window coverings; care to share a quick bit about how you did them? Did you have to have cold/hot water under pressure and fully plumbed? And may I ask where/how you anchored the hammock?

(Im kinda new here, if asking these questions of you on this type of thread isn't kosher, please let me know! )
Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Updated Pictures

We had about a 1/2 of a day with some sunshine so my wonderful wife did some painting.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Great idea and thanks for the feedback about the L track!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Little Busito, converting school buses can be a labor of love I'm learning. My wife did the window coverings, she sewed two kinds of fabric together since during the summer months it stays light until after midnight we needed something thick. Then she sewed strong magnets into the fabric so they can secure to the roof and wall.

As for the plumbing. The DMV paperwork only stated that we needed a sink with plumbing. So I just used a flexible hose and attached it to a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and called it my "grey water tank". I did the bare minimum to get the classification of motor home. So we don't have any conventional plumbing or hot water, our water comes form a 5 gallon water jug with a hand pump attached. Then it drains into a dog water dish we bought new not used then drilled a hole and put in a standard sink drain that goes into the grey water bucket. Our system is very basic and inexpensive. Since we live on a remote island in the Alaska Aleutian islands we have to be resourceful. The conversion has cost us about $3,000 so far. By the time we're ready to use it this spring and summer we'll probably put in another $500 or so. Our budget for a camper was $4,000, so we're doing okay.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
For the price of double-foil faced rigid foam panels, I'd put those in before anything else.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

CaptSquid, thanks great idea!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 6.2 diesel
Rated Cap: 20
The color picked for the inside of the bus really make a difference! Looks good, I might have to go with a bright color now after seeing how nice it looks in yours!
flamedeep is offline   Reply With Quote