Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: Skoolie Adventure* (*as yet un-named!)

SC,

If I remember correctly, that bus is computer programmed. I can check with the bus garage tomorrow. I know next summer there's going to be an auction on these busses in Katy, TX. If I can find out what programming needs to be changed, I'll post the info.

M1031

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 78

M1031~ I don't know a thing about these engines or even buses in general, but whatever you find, feel free to post!! I'd like to learn as much as possible!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
Bus Nut

SC,

Well, back when I was living in Evansville (Go Purple Aces!!!!) for almost half of my life, I was an ASE certified Master Diesel Mechanic. I can help get the technical manuals and such with some time. I have three jobs, so time isn't always my friend. I'm sure there are others willing to help walk you through the maze of engines and transmissions as well. The good news is you bought one of the best built engines and transmissions of our time with this bus. So, you did well!!!

M1031
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E

OK, that is really funny! I am originally from Evansville! I left in 1999. I will take any and all knowledge, manuals, etc., you have to offer! I actually was just in there checking the oil and other fluid levels to just see how things are. That oil is NAAAASSSSTAAAY! Blacker than black! So that will need to be remedied before she drives agai.! I am glad to hear the engine & tranny confirmation...I am a worrier! I also did see the computer plug outlet on the front of the engine fuse box.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH
Engine: 466
Rated Cap: 64

You are an inspiration to the rest of us bus nuts! To tackle such a project with your kids is just peachy keen!
dburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #26
Bus Nut

SC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgwagner
OK, that is really funny! I am originally from Evansville! I left in 1999. I will take any and all knowledge, manuals, etc., you have to offer! I actually was just in there checking the oil and other fluid levels to just see how things are. That oil is NAAAASSSSTAAAY! Blacker than black! So that will need to be remedied before she drives again! I am glad to hear the engine & tranny confirmation...I am a worrier! I also did see the computer plug outlet on the front of the engine fuse box.
AWESOME!!! I used to own a home in Fort Branch! I left in 2005. I miss it sometimes. My son, M1009, was born at St. Mary's on Lincoln Ave as well.... Ah, memory lane.... Well, I'll be tackling an identical bus with my son, his girlfriend, her family, and some close friends of mine. Of course I have air impact tools, generator sets, and a truckload of tools (literally). So, I'll be watching your thread just like I'm watching Porkchop and wmkbailey's as well. I learned SOOOO much from my first skoolie mistakes (had to convert quick to use it for work). Now, different floor plan, different methods, different build (think school bus driver with summers off to have fun with his son, son's girlfriend, her mom touring the USA and perhaps driver's favorite paramedic joining during the tour ~ looong story there)

Ok, oil change IS important, however, BEFORE you change oil go to Sternberg's on US 41 north just north of the airport and ask to have the oil pulled for samples and have them assess the oil sample for anything. Mention to them you just got the bus and want to know ANY metallic filtrate that shows up in the sample. I remember years ago when I was running three trucks for a local trucking company (you know the one that has white/black/red trucks/trailers - I intentionally refuse to name them) I would have Sternberg's pull a sample from my trucks once a year. An oil sample will tell you if you have issues with the mains, heads, and other VERY important parts simply by the composition of the metal particulate found in the oil. Also, get the BEST (which may or may not be the most expensive) oil filter(s), coolant filter(s) and fuel filter(s) available. Usually the best is Luber Finer (made just across the border in Illinois - gee how do I know this?). I'll check my fleet to be sure. One last, but IMPORTANT item. Top off the oil change with ProLong engine treatment. I used it in my Cat 3206B engines and got them to run well OVER 1 MILLION miles in addition to Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel tank EVERY time I fueled. I still use both today in my one ton service truck and my wife's F250. Follow those guidelines and that bus will be HAPPY for generations to come and last a LOOOONG time.

*edit* ~ Oops, I just woke up again and realized you're in central Indiana. Oh well, Indy has several good International dealerships that can do the same thing. Might want to keep Sternberg's in mind incase you're returning and something needs immediate attention. Sorry for the mix up.

My 2 cents.

M1031
Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar896
Nice bus, I hope to get one similar. Your making great progress. I have a few questions about your engine. How is the power your getting from it? Can you get good speeds on the highway? How is your MPG (Since you only drove it an hour and a half im not sure if you will have numbers on this yet)? I will be following this thread to see how you do things, Im hoping to get a 99-02 Amtran RE and may "borrow" some of your ideas.
Thanks
Jake
Jake-

I picked up a slightly newer sister unit, an '03 International Amtran RE also with the T444E, and drove it back to NJ from Maine, averaging about 10mpg at 65 (governed). Power was pretty good the entire ride home, and sipped fuel idling in rush hour traffic on the Cross Bronx . I only stopped for fuel once, and that was to ensure that I had plenty to finish the final leg on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yolo ~ I tell you what, this bus took about 6 months to find. In our area, all the school corporations trade in their buses usually, rather than sell them to the public, although they do sometimes. I was looking all over the US, through Craigslist, eBay and classifieds, as well as other auction sites. Kerlin Bus, in Silver Lake, IN, was the top contender, but they wanted 12K for one similar to the one we finally found. Kerlin did have one we liked and was $5K, but it didn't have luggage compartments. I would just start watching Craigslist and eBay. Also, call all the school corporations in your area and just ask. They might be getting rid of buses or perhaps auctioning them in May/June.
Thanks! I'm looking on Craigslist almost every night. As far as E-bay is concerned; I don't like the idea of bidding on something I've not inspected. I'm also trying to contact school systems in NC and TN; to inquire about their buses. If you ever need free labor; I be glad to help - at least I would be working on someone's bus.
YOLO_bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All Canadian
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
This is my latest CAD iteration!
With the exception that we want our king bed in the back, this is basically the exact layout that we want!! Down to the Chest freezers!

Actually we even toyed with an idea similar to this one but the the bunks in the back going across the bus with one set shorter than the other making a hallway into the back bunk room...
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 60

What an Awesome family!! Mom and the kids doing a conversion, dads gotta love this!
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Gotta ask...is there room in the above layout for someone from the rear bunks to get to the bathroom without climbing over the big bed?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #32
xJP
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 72
Send a message via MSN to xJP

Quote:
alwaysFlOoReD ~ I think I read that on another thread (from you!), and have that added to my demo arsenal in my brain! Luckily, all my wall and ceiling panels are screwed, rather than riveted, but I don't think I will get away without finding some rivets, somewhere that need decapitation!
In regards to the wall panels being screwed on instead of riveted:
My dad claims that I have to re-rivet my wall panels back on because they have to do with the bus being structurally sound (because of horizontal shift I guess) but I do NOT want to put those things back on, but if buses are made with panels that can screw off, maybe they figured out it wasnt necessary for being structurally sound? Can anyone give me any more info or ideas about that? Also, mega jealous. I have so many rivets
Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

There has been a lot of discussion here regarding the inner skin. A number of folks tossed it, mostly because it is a PITA to get back up, others feel there is no structural benefit except maybe in a rollover. My position is the result of having chats with a retired BlueBird engineer who lived just down the road in Douglassville, Georgia. He was adamant that the interior skin played a vital role in the overall structural integrity and had to be in place to resist torsional forces over the road. If you picture a cross-section of the body as being like a ladder with the ribs as rungs and the skins as the rails...then take away one of the rails and imagine how well it handles torsion.

I'm no structural engineer, but his argument made enough sense to convince me to leave it intact on the 40' BBAA I was working on at the time. My advice is simply to do some homework and consider how the decision affects the structure before tossing any sheetmetal.

NOTE: Any "Real" engineers are welcome to jump in here and add to this conversation since it seems to be a decision many on this forum face and the resulting decision is potentially significant...or not.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #34

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
There has been a lot of discussion here regarding the inner skin. A number of folks tossed it, mostly because it is a PITA to get back up, others feel there is no structural benefit except maybe in a rollover. My position is the result of having chats with a retired BlueBird engineer who lived just down the road in Douglassville, Georgia. He was adamant that the interior skin played a vital role in the overall structural integrity and had to be in place to resist torsional forces over the road. If you picture a cross-section of the body as being like a ladder with the ribs as rungs and the skins as the rails...then take away one of the rails and imagine how well it handles torsion.

I'm no structural engineer, but his argument made enough sense to convince me to leave it intact on the 40' BBAA I was working on at the time. My advice is simply to do some homework and consider how the decision affects the structure before tossing any sheetmetal.

NOTE: Any "Real" engineers are welcome to jump in here and add to this conversation since it seems to be a decision many on this forum face and the resulting decision is potentially significant...or not.
I'm not a real engineer but I play one on TV and I agree 100%.

P.S. I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T

I was also warned by a structural engineer that the metal headliner had to be maintained for structural integrity. In Crowns the headliners are overlapping and then riveted into the structural ribs on the roof and sides of the bus. He was adamant that removing the headliner was fine to do insulation, but that it must go back up in exactly the same way (overlapping and with rivets) to get the same level of structural strength and integrity. I also heard the same thing from a Crown salesman years ago when I was talking to him about my dream of a Crown RV.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote