Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Skoolie Conversions ---- a great group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Oh the things we will do for our dogs.
Tracy
That is such a cool picture. Is it the front wheel or the rear one that steers?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

That is a fab bike ... Luv it !!!!!

Frodo
TheHobbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #53
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Front wheel steering.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #54
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

LOL, thats a great pic! Here's one of Savannah and Buddy. I made this "puppy trailer" from an old kid's bike trailer. I think you have a bit more weight to pull than I did.

LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #55
Almost There

Wait a minute, is that a hub motor, that's cheating. I'm just jealous, that single speed coaster brake has just been changed to a seven speed with hand brakes. I have to build a box for the cargo area yet but she loves to ride. Sorry for takin this thread a little sideways but it's a dog thing and that was the main reason we got into this.
Tracy
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #56
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Wait a minute, is that a hub motor, that's cheating. I'm just jealous, that single speed coaster brake has just been changed to a seven speed with hand brakes. I have to build a box for the cargo area yet but she loves to ride. Sorry for takin this thread a little sideways but it's a dog thing and that was the main reason we got into this.
Tracy
Ha Ha, yes. You caught that. This is a bike I don't own anymore. I still have an electric one, but sold the one you see. Hauling them puppies with a trailer is tough on an old guy. My other hobby is restoring classic English bikes. I have a couple rod brake Raleigh's, a Pashley, and a few others. The electric is fun to ride and take to dog shows to tool around on. I don't take my classic bikes with me as I don't want to loose any of them. Most of my bike riding is on normal bikes, but the electric has its place. Although you don't see it in any of my pictures, I have the classic bus bike rack on my transit. It was off at the time of the pics as I was getting it powder coated. It's back on now.

Just like you, the dogs are a big reason I have a bus. It's a grand way to travel with them. I will soon be building a platform on top of the front right hand wheel well for a 42" crate. Savannah likes travelling in a crate and often sleeps in one at night even though she can come and go out of it anytime she wants. As you know, if you bring them up using a crate when they are puppies, it's a safe place for them and they see it as their own private bedroom, not a jail. Buddy, on the other hand, was a rescue and does not like a crate at all. So, I cut him some slack and rarely make him ride in one.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #57
Skoolie

Well, I've got a few more things done. There's one thing about bus conversions that most people agree on. It takes twice as long as you plan to finish a job, and cost 3X as much as you expected. That pretty much sums it up for me this past month. But, it was still fun.

I pretty much completed the toilet room, even though there's no toilet in it yet. The toilet has its own space, and the bathroom sink is across the hall opposite the toilet. I haven't put the trim on the wall edge yet, although it's routed for it. I'm using grey T-moulding. Easy to install, looks nice, and very cheap to buy. Overall, a great combination. I call this my million dollar toilet ----- not because it cost that much to build, but because I must have a zillion hours of time in it.

Here's the hinge that I mortised into the laminated door. It turned out not to be such an easy job because of the laminate. Thank goodness I did a test run on my sacrifice door (which I'll explain later). When I mortised it, the router bit tore jagged edges out of the laminate. After three tries, I figured out how to do it. Had to put 1/2" plywood on the edge of the door (held with a couple of clamps) before routing it.

I wanted to use an extruded aluminum door frame. I used to be able to get this trim easy. My source dried up a couple years ago. I've been looking for another one for two years. Finally found one a couple months ago, but it wasn't cheap. I think it cost me about $130, including shipping. But, it looks nice.

Here's the floor ---- grouted vinyl tile. Not much you can do with those big wheel wheels except live with them. I haven't trimmed out the edges of the floor yet. Going to wait until I run water lines first, as the back wall may be covered up at the base.

I mentioned the sacrifice door above. The door on the bathroom was a custom size, so I had to order it. It took 3 weeks for it to come in. While I was waiting, I wanted to build the framing around the door, so I bought a standard size slab door and cut it down so it would fit the frame. That way I was able to get everything lined up all the way around. It only cost $30, but it was worth it to set the frame (and not loose 3 weeks of time) and figure out how to route the laminated door so it wouldn't chip.

And now to this week-end's project. Flooring. Finished laying down the engineered floor. Used Lowe's own brand, Style Selections, made by Bruce. The finish is Gunstock. Went down pretty well. This was the snap-n-lock kind. It's the first one I've ever done. Having a level floor is more critical than I expected. I had to level a couple spots in mine before it worked right.

The seats on my bus were hung from the wall, not floor mounted. There is a space between the two mounts on the lower half of the wall, that I carpeted. Turned out pretty nice. This was a fairly simple job. Used the contact cement (same one I used for laminate) on the carpet and wall. It went up without any trouble. I have new rubber inserts to go in the grooves down the seat runs. Won't put that in till I get the seats mounted back up. I'm using two of the original seats, facing each other, to make my booth.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #58
Site Team

I like those rails,very handy for attaching heavy things
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Very nice work! The floor looks great!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #60
Almost There

Wow, Very nice and it looks like your surface choices will make it easy to clean with your grooming dryer!
Tracy