Well, I've got a few more things done. There's one thing about bus conversions that most people agree on. It takes twice as long as you plan to finish a job, and cost 3X as much as you expected. That pretty much sums it up for me this past month. But, it was still fun.
I pretty much completed the toilet room, even though there's no toilet in it yet. The toilet has its own space, and the bathroom sink is across the hall opposite the toilet. I haven't put the trim on the wall edge yet, although it's routed for it. I'm using grey T-moulding. Easy to install, looks nice, and very cheap to buy. Overall, a great combination. I call this my million dollar toilet ----- not because it cost that much to build, but because I must have a zillion hours of time in it.
Here's the hinge that I mortised into the laminated door. It turned out not to be such an easy job because of the laminate. Thank goodness I did a test run on my sacrifice door (which I'll explain later). When I mortised it, the router bit tore jagged edges out of the laminate. After three tries, I figured out how to do it. Had to put 1/2" plywood on the edge of the door (held with a couple of clamps) before routing it.
I wanted to use an extruded aluminum door frame. I used to be able to get this trim easy. My source dried up a couple years ago. I've been looking for another one for two years. Finally found one a couple months ago, but it wasn't cheap. I think it cost me about $130, including shipping. But, it looks nice.
Here's the floor ---- grouted vinyl tile. Not much you can do with those big wheel wheels except live with them. I haven't trimmed out the edges of the floor yet. Going to wait until I run water lines first, as the back wall may be covered up at the base.
I mentioned the sacrifice door above. The door on the bathroom was a custom size, so I had to order it. It took 3 weeks for it to come in. While I was waiting, I wanted to build the framing around the door, so I bought a standard size slab door and cut it down so it would fit the frame. That way I was able to get everything lined up all the way around. It only cost $30, but it was worth it to set the frame (and not loose 3 weeks of time) and figure out how to route the laminated door so it wouldn't chip.
And now to this week-end's project. Flooring. Finished laying down the engineered floor. Used Lowe's own brand, Style Selections, made by Bruce. The finish is Gunstock. Went down pretty well. This was the snap-n-lock kind. It's the first one I've ever done. Having a level floor is more critical than I expected. I had to level a couple spots in mine before it worked right.
The seats on my bus were hung from the wall, not floor mounted. There is a space between the two mounts on the lower half of the wall, that I carpeted. Turned out pretty nice. This was a fairly simple job. Used the contact cement (same one I used for laminate) on the carpet and wall. It went up without any trouble. I have new rubber inserts to go in the grooves down the seat runs. Won't put that in till I get the seats mounted back up. I'm using two of the original seats, facing each other, to make my booth.