Old 08-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50
Re: Skoolie Conversions ---- a great group!

Well, it's time for an update. Here's what I've been working on.

Since I don't have plumbing in yet, I'm using a portable toilet. I really like this one. It has a base plate you can use to secure it to the floor. It also is high enough so you aren't sitting with your knee's around your chin. Electric Water flush, 5 gallon holding tank, toilet paper roll hidden behind a panel that folds out on the right hand side, really all you could ask for with a portable. This is an item I expected to hate, but it's turned out to be quite the opposite.

Electrical Closet
The electrical closet is finished, well, at least till I run some more circuits to it. Came out pretty good. There are two 4-D glass mat batteries in the base on the floor. These are my house batteries. There is also a switch that I can switch between house batteries, bus batteries, or combine both. That is very handy. When going down the road, I switch over to the bus batteries, as the inverter runs my 10 cf house fridge.

The two black boxes at the bottom are the electrical panels. The one on the left is the main panel and the one on the right is for items run off/through the inverter. The two black objects above the electrical panels are louvered vents for cool air intake. On the upper part of the door is the 24V electrical panel and the inverter control.

Inside the electrical closet are the components. At the top of the closet I installed 2 very quiet muffins fans with a thermostat. I wasn't sure how much heat I was going to get from that inverter, so I needed to make sure it had enough cooling air. It does tend to get hot if charging the batteries at a high rate.

Here's something that wasn't part of the original plan ------ a 24V battery charger. The inverter has a good one in it, but when running, the fans sound like a Cessna 172 taking off. Just too noisy. I installed a Progressive Dynamics charger to use instead of the one in the inverter. They have an excellent charger, made for RV use, that has an extremely quiet fan. Can't even hear it running. I usually disable the inverter charger and use this small one.

Outside Door Switch
If you've followed my build, you might remember that I originally had an air operated door with a manual valve. I converted it to electric-over-air so that I can control it with electric switches. Here's my switch I mounted on the outside.

I've discovered that my air stays up enough to operate this door for about 24 hrs before I need to turn on the electric air compressor. I have one of those very quiet ones, small, 120v. Will easily run off my inverter if I need to. Running it once a day is all I need to keep the door working.

Here's the electric switch I mounted inside near the door (green button). This makes it easy to go in and out. There is also a switch mounted above it (you can't see it in the photo) that disables the outside switch so someone can't open the door from the outside if you don't want them in.

Steering Wheel Update
I recently changed out my steering wheel to a newer more modern looking wheel from VIP. They make excellent wheels and they are much less expensive than you might think. I believe this one cost about $75.

Bedroom
The bedroom is finished. Here are the twin beds. They sit over the top of the water tank.

Here's the view from outside the bedroom door.

Here's something that is very handy. It's a stainless tubular shelf from Ikea. It's mounted on the wall at the foot of the bed. It's high enough that it's out of the way and looks good. Only $20.

Living Room / Kitchen
This is the left hand wall of the bus (drivers side). Since I didn't tear out my walls, I needed to come up with a way to run electrical power down it. This is what I ended up doing. Just on-the-wall electrical covers from either Lowes or HD. They were white originally, but I painted them grey. I did this on both sides of the bus. Whenever the kitchen cabinets get put in, they will hide most of it.

Here's my booth. I like a good booth. Some people prefer tables and chairs but I'm the opposite. The downside of booths are they take up more space than a table. I used two seats from the bus for the booth seats, one from each side so they could face each other. I couldn't find a table anywhere the right size, so I made my own.

And lastly, my living room. Here's a view from the front.

And a view from the back looking towards the front. You can also see my tv mounted on the panel behind the drivers compartment.

Hope everyone enjoyed the update!
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #72
Site Team

nuf said
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Wow. Very slick. Well done!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

So clean and open looking!! Very professional as well. I love it!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Beautiful work!!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Well done!!!
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #77
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Stealing from bansil, good work

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #78
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360

Very clean work, looks professional.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #79
Skoolie

Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments. Sometimes when I'm working on the bus, I think about you guys (and ladies), and that you're out working on your buses the same as me. I'm really glad to have the company and to know that I'm not the only one that enjoys this. I wish we weren't all spread out so far. I'd love to organize a mini-rally for all of us to bring our buses, swap a few stories and have a good laugh or two. People have no idea how much time we put into these, and because of that, there's some of us in each of our buses. As far as I know, I'm the only one in my area doing a conversion. But if there's anybody in or around Atlanta that is working on one, and haven't posted anything yet, please speak up. I'd love to do a meet-up at a campground sometime.

This was taken a while back, but is a typical day of "bus work", probably on a Saturday. I don't have a fancy shop to work in. It's usually an outdoor thing on two sawhorses. Thankfully I do have a roof over the bus, which helps keep the heat down when working inside. The foreman is usually there with me ------ you can see her on lying outside the door.

I had the "Inaugural Run" two weeks ago. It was the first time out for the bus. I don't have any running water or kitchen cabinets for that matter, but we went and had a great time anyway. The bath house was a short walk away so it was easy to take a shower. This was a new campground just built this year. The trees weren't as big as I like them, but it was fun. A couple of friends came over on Saturday afternoon. We had a cookout, swapped fish stories, and ate too much. A good time was had by all.

There was a beautiful Prevost in the background. I didn't get to meet them while there, but they waved to us as we were leaving.

This past weekend I went to a different campground (in my car) scouting for a good site for Labor Day weekend. I think I found it.

However, the site is already booked. I'll keep looking. I hope to find something by then.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #80
Site Team

great times!!!

and that does look like a pimp site maybe you can grab it next year
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote