Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Skoolie Conversions ---- a great group!

Not a bad place to work on the bus. Mine is two miles from home out in the open.

Neat thing about it, since it is a parking lot, I get a few curious people walk up ask what the heck is that thing.

Can't wait to get it back together again and go on my first camping trip.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #82
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey

Remember boys and girls...it's not camping anymore since you have a bus!!!!!!
ITS CALLED GLAMPING
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bansil.
ITS CALLED[i
GLAMPING[/i]

?? Please don't call my stupid ?? Please explain? Maybe I missed something in translation.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #84
Site Team

Glamour Camping is when you "leave your home and take your other home to the woods on vacation" and laugh at the people "roughing it" as you microwave pop corn and grab a cold beverage out of the fridge........or maybe it's the peach vanilla ice cream you share with your neighbors

They say "this isn't camping"

I smile and say "yes it is, Glamour Camping...Glamping"...people smile and laugh...good times it's what it's about

make since?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Right, I get it now, Thanks. Hey I maybe slow, but I get there.

My Conversion Thread:
Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #86
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Luckychow,
Great to see that you are out enjoying all that work. I have been busy we have just purchased a 13 acre kennel property. Best part is a 40 x 60 training center building that I can fit the bus in!!!!! One thing you may want to get for your x pens, big pool noodles, we cut a slot in them and put them over the top end of the x pen. they add support to the xpen and then you can strap it tight to the side of the bus.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #87
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Luckychow,
Great to see that you are out enjoying all that work. I have been busy we have just purchased a 13 acre kennel property. Best part is a 40 x 60 training center building that I can fit the bus in!!!!! One thing you may want to get for your x pens, big pool noodles, we cut a slot in them and put them over the top end of the x pen. they add support to the xpen and then you can strap it tight to the side of the bus.
Tracy
Congratulations on the property! One thing for sure, I know you'll love the building, especially in the winter.

Have you guys taken your bus to any dog shows yet? I've yet to see any buses at a show except high end Wanderlodges and a couple Prevost. And thanks for mentioning the noodles. I've seen them before, but have never tried it.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #88
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkbailey
Not a bad place to work on the bus. Mine is two miles from home out in the open.

Neat thing about it, since it is a parking lot, I get a few curious people walk up ask what the heck is that thing.

Wmkbailey, you're doing a lot of excellent work here. I can't wait to see how it turns out. This roof raise is very unique! Don't fret about having to drive two miles. When I did my Thomas, it was a 50 mile drive to friends out in the country. It really makes a difference to have it at home though.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #89
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Luckychow,
No dog shows yet, we used to be into them when my daughters were showing. Not many schoolies at the shows, just the big money handler rigs. Way too many politics for those trying to show Canadian bred Newfs in the states. I don't know how it is with Chows but there are two different styles of Newfs, most judges only pull the American dogs. Our the handler they had dinner with, you know how that goes.
We mostly go to working events with our Newfs, water rescue and draft cart stuff. These are much more fun for us and the dogs, there is no competition just the working bond between you and your dog. Very rewarding indeed.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #90
Skoolie

It's been an interesting week. On Saturday I decided to fill up with fuel. I usually buy diesel down the street about 4 miles at an oil company. Easy in and easy out with the bus. I had been on the road about a mile when my check engine light came on and the engine de-rated. In about 45 seconds it went off and everything returned to normal. Then it came on a second time. Stayed on about a minute and went off again. By this time I was at the oil company so I pulled in and filled up. Afterwards I drove over to our nearby shop and borrowed a scan tool. Pulled two codes out of it. They were "RTC low voltage" and "Boost pressure sensor low voltage". While these two codes aren't thrilling, they aren't as bad as it could have been.

The long and short is my engine computer is going out. It is a DDEC IV, which has an internal battery, and the battery is finally failing. Detroit's fix is to replace the computer. You don't want to know what a DDEC IV ECU cost from them. The battery is not replaceable. Luckily there are several companies that rebuild these. The cost of a rebuilt one is about $750. I still scratch my head on a company like Detroit putting a non replaceable battery in an engine computer, knowing that all batteries fail at one time or another. It seems to me that the better solution would be to simply put non-volitale memory in it so no battery is needed. Go figure. I spoke to one of the ECU rebuilders. He says that about 50% of the time the battery either bursts or leaks and ruins the board, causing a whole host of error codes. That's the reason they don't just replace the battery in them. So it looks like I'm out of commission for a few weeks.

I'm not sure how many of you have electronic engines, but if you don't, be glad!